What causes low progesterone levels? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I was recently diagnosed with a luteal phase defect due to low progesterone levels. It seems that I hear people all the time having low progesterone and I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes it. I had 2 kids no problem (got pregnant first month trying) so I'm guessing my progesterone was fine then but we're on cycle #10 for this baby and just found out I have low progesterone. Just wondering why all of a sudden I do and what kinds of things are the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've wondered this, too. I have read articles/books that say that our food is high in estrogen, and that many women have hormone imbalances as a result. I'm not sure if this is true, but I'm cutting out dairy to see if it helps. I guess when they take the fat out of milk, they skim off certain hormones that collect in the fat, and what's left behind gives you a hormone imbalance. Man, the books were more articulate. Anyway, anybody else hear this?

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#3 of 7 Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have read the connection between estrogen level imbalances and low progesterone (just not specifically linked to foods). For me, my estrogen levels came back normal so that doesn't seem to be the issue for me. But it does seem strange to me that so many people seem to have a problem with low progesterone and no one (doctors, researchers) seem to know why.
#4 of 7 Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I've heard vitamin B6 deficiency can be a factor
#5 of 7 Old 11-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's an interesting question. I have no idea, but I'll be interested to see what other people say! I've heard that B6 can lengthen luteal phase, but I didn't know that might be because low B6 levels can cause low progesterone. Interesting!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#6 of 7 Old 11-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Here's the jist on lpd and low progesterone...there are multiple causes. Now what causes THOSE causes (har har) I suppose it's somewhat of a mystery so far. I've seen various articles on links between environmental contaminants (duh), diet, and all the others typically blamed for the general populations overall decrease in health. Xenoestrogens seem to be the big one right now. And they are.in.everything. ugh!
here's the article...
http://www.inciid.org/printpage.php?...tility101&id=7

forgot to add...I've had my lpd/low progesterone diagnosis for years and I have three healthy little girls. It's curable! (well, at least treatable.)

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#7 of 7 Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 PM

I just cut out of my diet soy, wheat, and most other grains and immediately had a two-day increase in my next LP. My LP has been consistently borderline short (10/11 days) for months.

I think it was mostly the soy. I had soy milk almost daily (six days/week) in smallish quantity, but for about 12 years straight. I have one dd who started going into puberty early--she drank soy milk as well. My oldest did not develop early--she on the other hand hates soy milk and never drinks it. Not exactly scientific but it impressed me.

I also have melasma--a skin pigmentation problem on my face associated with hormone imbalance (it's the same thing as the hormone-triggered "mask of pregnancy" but my youngest was 5yo when it started). It looks better right now but IDK if it's just because I'm getting less sun. I have my fingers crossed that it will not show up full force next summer.

This would all be related to too much estrogen throwing off the progesterone BTW. AKA estrogen dominance. I think this also slowed my temp rise and made my LP temps erratic. I agree with the PP about there being many factors that contribute to estrogen dominance. Some of them we do have choices about, thank goodness.

Tear, I have also read something about the low-fat dairy reducing fertility, though I didn't learn anything about how. However, I also thought (from other sources) that full-fat dairy was pro-fertility and we do have quite a bit of that. We'll see how that goes.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page