IUI - Clomid or Injectables? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-14-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hubby and I are to the point where we're ready to do IUI.  When I called the RE, I was told we have two options: with clomid or with injectables.  Injectables raise the success rate, but also the multiples rate.  We're fine with twins, but hubby is petrified of more than that (although we would still be very happy).  For those of you who have done IUI, which route did you choose and how did you decide?  Any multiples?

Wife to DH, Mom to DD (5/14/04) and our IVF miracle DS (10/12/12)!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-14-2010, 05:47 PM

Clomid is a lot cheaper.  If I got 2-3 good eggs from clomid, I'd probably do that.  If clomid didn't work, well, then the answer is clear. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#3 of 8 Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 AM

My first clinic initially had us do 3 rounds of clomid and then switched us to injectables.  On our first try with injectables we got pregnant with twin boys actually.  They told us that if we triggered on the first night we might catch one egg and if we waited one more night to trigger we might get two or three eggs.  DH is a triplet himself and his older brother and sister are twins so he knew what it was like w/ 3 and the stress that there was financially on his parents growing up so he wanted to shoot for just one.  I on the other hand, was tired of trying for so long (3yr by then) and wanted to up our odds of at least getting one of those 3 so was more open to trying the later, but we went with the first day trigger to try and catch one egg and just happened to get two which we were both estatic about when it happened!!!!  So Yes, it does increase your chances of multiples and if that scares you I'd try the clomid first just to see how your eggs respond to that and then go from there.  Good luck to you!!!!   dust.gif

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#4 of 8 Old 11-16-2010, 04:04 PM

have you ever taken clomid?

some ladies are very reactive to it and it would be all you need.

in that case it seems silly to jump to something so much stronger without giving the low risk version to do its job.

thankfully iui is not to costly, so i personally feel it is good to do at least one in the less risky way before pulling out the big guns

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 8 Old 11-16-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies.  I am actually on 50 mg of Clomid now, cycle days 3-7.  When I had my ultrasound prior to starting the fertility work-up, there were several follicles in each of my ovaries, so production doesn't seem to be the problem.  My OB thought maybe the Clomid would be the extra push I needed for success, but no luck with it in the three cycles we've tried.  I spoke with the nurse at the RE's office and she said based on my demographics (29, one successful pregnancy, normal lab work, normal HSG and normal SA for DH), they will most likely start with clomid and IUI.  We're paying for everything out of pocket using my flexible spendng account at work, so I'm going to elect for enough to cover two cycles with clomid or one cycle with injectables.  My RE is backlogged, so I don't have my consult until Dec. 27, which is a bummer, but she told me we could do the IUI as soon as my cycle starts after the consult, so at least there won't be another wait.

#6 of 8 Old 11-16-2010, 05:29 PM

My RE has you do 3 cycles of clomid/iui before moving on to injectibles. Its so much cheaper and less invasive. My drugs for this cycle were over $2000. When I was ttc#2 I got pregnant on my 2nd clomid/iui.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#7 of 8 Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

We met with the RE on Friday (yay for last minute cancellation!) and he told us he absolutely, postively will NOT do IUI + injectables with me due to the risk of multiples.  So, we decided on IUI + Clomid for three rounds, then laproscopy, then on to IVF if needed.  He wanted to do an ultrasound to check out what was going on with the Clomid and I had a couple of very nice follicles, so we triggered on Saturday and did the IUI on Monday.  Totally skipped all the first steps since I was right where he needed me to be (we had already done the HSG, SA, blood work, etc.), so we only had to pay about a third of what the regular IUI would have cost. 

#8 of 8 Old 12-01-2010, 02:11 PM

thats wonderful, thanks for the update!

it sounds like you and your doc are on a the right path and im glad he is lookng out for you and the risk of High order multiples, please let us know how you are in a few weeks!!!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page