DH scheduled his SA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We took a cruise for our anniversary and decided that when we got back we would start infertility testing since it's been almost a year of trying for us.

I'm not sure how I feel about the S/A. December 17th was the soonest they could get him in.

I was hoping it didn't come to this. :(

treehugger.gif mama to dog2.gif dog2.gif cat.gifcat.gif praying for our first two legged baby and hoping to  h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif familybed1.gif

#2 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 02:27 AM

That's the easiest, best first test to do!  I think it's a great choice.  For women, the tests are a little more invasive.  If you do diagnose the problem as male factor, make sure to give him lots of ego-boosting love and support.  (We had a lab mistake on our first SA, and DH was devastated.) 

I hope it comes back with great results!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#3 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 04:03 AM

Dawn - hug2.gif  I know it's difficult to move into the testing phase.  But I have always heard that it's best to start with the SA, because it is the easiest, and that way you can rule out any issues and move on to other things.  I really hope you get back fantastic results! 

With that being said, any tips on how to get DH to agree to a SA?  That was recommended by my doctor recently, but DH is very resistant.  My logic about it being the easiest test to start with to rule things out doesn't hold water for him. 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#4 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValH View Post

Dawn - hug2.gif  I know it's difficult to move into the testing phase.  But I have always heard that it's best to start with the SA, because it is the easiest, and that way you can rule out any issues and move on to other things.  I really hope you get back fantastic results! 

With that being said, any tips on how to get DH to agree to a SA?  That was recommended by my doctor recently, but DH is very resistant.  My logic about it being the easiest test to start with to rule things out doesn't hold water for him. 

My doc said to start with an SA because it's the easiest and the least invasive test. I had been working on getting DH to agree to a SA for a while. He was very resistant at first. I can completely understand why, because it's like admitting defeat and that there is something wrong with us. I mainly listened to why he didn't want to get it, and told him that I understand and I feel the same way, but that if we want to have a baby that we needed help. He finally came around on our cruise when I cried and told him I was sick of the not knowing and wanted answers and basically begged him to start testing with me.

treehugger.gif mama to dog2.gif dog2.gif cat.gifcat.gif praying for our first two legged baby and hoping to  h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif familybed1.gif

#5 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

That's the easiest, best first test to do!  I think it's a great choice.  For women, the tests are a little more invasive.  If you do diagnose the problem as male factor, make sure to give him lots of ego-boosting love and support.  (We had a lab mistake on our first SA, and DH was devastated.) 

I hope it comes back with great results!

Thanks! He is super nervous about the results. (As am I) I will definitely give him lots of love and support when we get the results back. I truly hope the results come back good... he will be crushed if they aren't. Any tips on what to do to help him feel better about it, other than just being there for him and telling him I love him no matter what?

#6 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 11:27 AM

My husband goes next week. I am shocked that he is so willing to go. I showed him the info sheets from the OB GYN about the HSG and then we read online about the other tests they do on the female. SA is for sure the best and least invasive test to start with. My accupuncturist suggested he get tested and she could treat him easily with herbs within a month. I think he just knows that it will help to have the information and that it can be cured easily with natural approaches (unless it's a morphology issue-then it's IVF according to my accupuncturist). He doesn't want me to have to undergo the invasive testing so this seemed like a good first step. Good luck! I hope your testing goes well!!

#7 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM

My DH was willing to do the SA first because it was the cheapest test. We ended up doing all our testing in the same cycle though. GL!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page