PCOS - Fermara - 21 Hydroxylase - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies, I feel a little alone in my situation so I am writing to see if there are even any similar situations out there. 

I was first diagnosed with PCOS and put on 1000mg of Metformin a day. After trying this for two cycles, each cycle being three months my doctor pushed it to 2000mg of Metformin a day. After being on the Metformin and Clomid and having no success I finally went to see a Reproductive Endocrinologist. Once all of my testing was completed he concluded that I no longer needed to be on the Metformin and took me off of it. He then diagnosed me with having 21- Hydroxylase Deficiency. He then tested my husband and he also tested positive for carrying the gene. So now, we have been waiting 4 months to get into a Genetic Counselor before continuing any further. We have still being trying the natural way every month while waiting but no success. After seeing the Genetic Counselor if we still want to proceed, we will be put on Fermara. 

My question to you ladies are, do any of you have a similar or the same diagnosis. Have any of you been put on Fermara to help conceive and what have been the outcomes. I feel very lost and alone in this situation because I cannot find any forums online regarding this deficiency. Any help that you ladies can lend would be fantastic!

I need to also mention that I do have a very healthy beautiful 2yr old baby boy. It took us 3 years to conceive him but we just figured it was timing, we didn't know we actually had fertility issues. So I believe I CAN conceive since I have him, just wondering how likely my chances are at conceiving again.

#2 of 2 Old 11-24-2010, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there!  I don't want you to feel alone.  I don't know anything about your condition, but I also have PCOS.  I take 1500mg of metformin a day.  I also took Femara three times (I had to take the highest dose of 7.5 mg for five days).  Alone, I don't really ovulate.  With Femara by itself I ovulated on cd30.  When I had my IUIs, they triggered me around cd15.  In the end, the best response I had to any meds was injectibles when I did my IVF cycles. 

I wish you the best of luck!  I am sorry you are going through this...

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page