Estradial and Progesterone blood test timing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The nurse at the OB GYN office told me to do the Estradial test on Cycle Day 3 and Progesterone on Cycle Day 21.

I told her that my cycles are short- 25 or 26 days. She told me that these tests are run on cycle day3 for Estradial and 21 for progesterone regardless of cycle length. Does this sound right?

#2 of 3 Old 11-27-2010, 08:56 AM

That is how the tests are normally done, but it's only done this way because most people can't pinpoint ovulation (so the test is done based on a 28 day cycle). As long as you chart and know exactly what day you ovulated, the progesterone test should be done on the 7th day past ovulation.

Day 3 will be easy to define, no matter what your cycles are like. Define day 1 as the first day of true bleeding (not spotting) and day 3 is 2 days later.

But you're right in questioning the day 21 testing. If you ovulate extremely early (say CD 10), and you tested on day 21, then you would be testing progesterone on 11dpo. At this point, progesterone could have already plummeted and you'd get a falsely low result.

However, if you cannot pinpoint the exact day of ovulation, you'll have to do day 21, as you've got no other choice really. Day 21 is better than some other arbitrary day (hence the reason they do it this way).

I hope that's helpful.

My husband and I are trying to conceive again, while missing our beautiful daughter who was stillborn Jan. 2010
#3 of 3 Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Hi there! Although you posted a while back I thought I'd chime in. I just started going through the testing. My progesterone levels were checked over a two month period. Because my cycles vary anywhere from 25 days to 34 days my doctor told me to come in exactly 7 DPO for the test. So for example if I ovulated on day 17 I would count that day as the first day and go in exactly a week later for the progesterone test. Both times for me it was below what it should have been - 10.1 and 10. Needless to say I'm starting Prometrium at the end of this month. Hope you have found additional answers in the meantime!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page