Convince me that I don't need to be here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies,

I'm back in the land of TTC again. Last time around I had some trouble - three early miscarriages back to back, likely due to my short luteal phase of 9 - 10 days, when I was lucky. Then, I was blessed with a full term pregnancy. I am still nursing my 16 month old.

I got my periods back immediately but I only started paying attention to my cervical fluid (etc) a couple of cycles ago. The only issue being that now my LP is maybe 5 or 6 days long, my cycles in total are 22 days now. My doctor told me that I'm not likely to have issues staying pregnant this time around after a term pregnancy but... frankly... I may have already had an early loss from the first month we tried, but I refused to test because I didn't really want to know (I still don't).

Am I being crazy? Or am I just waiting to repeat the same pattern again?

confused.gif

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

#2 of 8 Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Sarah~~ View Post

Hi Ladies,

I'm back in the land of TTC again. Last time around I had some trouble - three early miscarriages back to back, likely due to my short luteal phase of 9 - 10 days, when I was lucky. Then, I was blessed with a full term pregnancy. I am still nursing my 16 month old.

I got my periods back immediately but I only started paying attention to my cervical fluid (etc) a couple of cycles ago. The only issue being that now my LP is maybe 5 or 6 days long, my cycles in total are 22 days now. My doctor told me that I'm not likely to have issues staying pregnant this time around after a term pregnancy but... frankly... I may have already had an early loss from the first month we tried, but I refused to test because I didn't really want to know (I still don't).

Am I being crazy? Or am I just waiting to repeat the same pattern again?

confused.gif

Welcome hun!

Well honestly I'm not sure what that doctor is thinking, b/c a 5 or 6 day LP is definitely not long enough for a pregnancy to be successful! He may be right though that you won't go through the same issues you had before. Whether you have had a baby or not really doesn't play into whether you'll have issues in the future. I've had 3 easy pregnancies and now I've been trying for 1.5yrs for our 4th!

How often are you bf'ing your lil one? I know there are support threads on the infertility board, as well as on the TTC board for mums who are still bf'ing and trying to get pregnant that would help you out alot! Either way, welcome!

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

#3 of 8 Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM

5 or 6 days is too short, but nursing can shorten your LP.  So your LP may go back to its old length when your DC is finished nursing.  

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#4 of 8 Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 PM

ugh.  Welcome to my world!  Tell that doc to go back to medical school.  sheesh.

I am NOT nursing anymore, and my cycles are still presenting short lps.  Last month was 7 days.  I am back to clomid/progesterone to get/keep me pregnant.

Good luck!  If you continue to have short cycles after you wean her, then I'd def. go for help!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#5 of 8 Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

greensad.gif

I guess I'll settle in for a while then.

...off to  buy some progesterone cream

#6 of 8 Old 12-06-2010, 05:35 PM

I think that I am having the same problem.  I have a short LP also.  My total cycle is 25 days.  I had an early mc last month and an preg now.  I found this one early going to the DR. for a cold.  When they did blood work my hcg was 14,000 but my progesterone was really low at 5.2.  I think I am at 17 days PO.  I started on progesterone supp. (fun...) and went back for labs today.  My Hcg was was 28,000 which is evidently not high enough.  She asked if I had any spotting or cramping and I have not but she just told me to come in for my scheduled US on Monday and I quote, "to see viability".  So now I am obsessing and waiting for another MC and going to the bathroom to check for spotting.  This road is so new for me.  I just came off the pill in August and really started studying my cycles.  I guess no one ever dreams that they will have these problems.  I always thought that it would be so easy.  I have about decided that this may be a road that I am not ready to go down.  

What type of progesterone cream do you use and where can I find it?  I wonder if I could use that instead of the suppositories or in addition to?

I am so sorry for all of your losses.  I wish you all baby dust and stickiness.

#7 of 8 Old 12-07-2010, 03:29 AM

Frankly, I am with the doctor.... in a sense... You are at this point still in the stage of returning fertility and it is totally possible that all you need is time. It is completely natural to have short luteal phases when your child is still young and nursing. (First there is no period, then "period" but often without ovulation, then ovulation and period but short luteal phase. Until, finally, you are back to normal cycles. Does not go like this for everyone, and depends on how early you get your first pp period. Yet, this is a reasonable expectation.)

A luteal phase defect, for me, seems to be among the things one can fix, though possibly not until the body is ready. B6 and progesterone cream, at least, do help.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#8 of 8 Old 12-26-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

You are probably right LessTraveledBy, in a sense it is normal to have a short LP after childbirth. I just never had a break from my period after birth, in fact I've had 17 periods in the 17 months since she was born. I guess I figured it would have worked itself out by now. I wouldn't be as concerned as I am if it hadn't been my problem last time around too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page