advice on what to say if ivf doesn't work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-13-2010, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my friend underwent her first and only chance at ivf after years of trying to get pregnant. in the past i have been known to say things that i realize afterwords are callus.she has her pregnancy test today and i am going to be one of the first people shetells. do you have any advice on what to say if it hasn't worked?

i told her yesterday that i would have a baby for her, that my husband has agreed to support this. i'm not sure how we'd do it, but i am thinking that that isn't the right thing to talk about while she grieves the loss (hopefully she is pregnant so this is moot) of her pregnancy.

thnks for any advice

please all pray that she is indeed pregnant. i have been praying since she was implanted

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#2 of 7 Old 12-13-2010, 06:22 AM

I would just tell her that you're sorry it didn't work, that you love her, and that you're there for her if she needs anything.

Just keep it simple. She's going to have a lot going through her mind and heart, so just focus on your love for her.

But in the meantime, I'm sending her all the babydust in the world.

xo and good luck.

single mama, started TTC Jan 2009, 12 IUIs w/frozen sperm, 3 self-insem w/fresh sperm; IVF cycle March 2011 gave me my beautiful daughter who is now 2 yrs old!!! Trying to make her a baby sibling from my frosties, 2 natural cycle FETs=bfn, on a medicated FET cycle now.
#3 of 7 Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

well i didn't need the advice, she is pregnant. so thankful, not many people deserve it more. thanks for the response.

lifeguard likes this.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#4 of 7 Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Thursday Girl - I'm very happy for your friend, congrats to her!  It's always great to hear inspiring stories of miracles. 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#5 of 7 Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

it ended up being ectopic and she is going into surgery right now.  I am so sad for her, and I so hope everything in surgery goes okay.

#6 of 7 Old 12-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Oh NO, Courtney!  I am so, so, so sorry to hear that.  How very, very sad for your friend.  In terms of what to say, it's more what not to say.  Don't use "God's will" or  "Maybe it's for the best" or "I understand".  Do acknowledge her tragedy, and ask if there's anything you can do.  And then be silent.  If she wants to talk, she will.  If not, you can just 'be' there for her. 

Again, I am so sorry.  So sorry.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 7 Old 12-17-2010, 03:50 PM

I'm sorry. My first IVF also ended in an ectopic, although I was quite a bit further along than your friend is. It was devastating to me, as I was able to see the perfect little baby with the perfect little heartbeat in the exact wrong spot.

Just let her know you're there for her... I withdrew almost entirely from the world for a couple of weeks after my surgery and losses.. I couldn't face talking or even texting with other people. Don't be offended if she doesn't want to talk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page