Am I infertile? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-15-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My name is Arielle and I am NEW to this cite.

I hope someone can help. Here is my store in a nut shell. Ever since I hit puberty I had irregular periods. Every month, then every other month, then every 3 months then 6 months until I missed an entire year. I then went to the doctor and they put my on birth control. I stayed on it for I think was 6 months then I had some periods on my own but ended up missing again. I then went to the doctor again and they did a bunch of tests all came back normal. They said that my signals from my brain must not be getting to my ovaries so I needed to loose weight. I agreed that I needed to loose weight and I tried with no success. I was on birth control this whole time. I took the birth control until my prescription was up and then I stopped that was a little over 2 years ago. I have not had a signal period since then. I have not been back to the doctor for this in 3 years.

What should I do to start having my periods again? confused.gif

#2 of 16 Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 AM

Do you know what they tested for?  That sounds a LOT like my story, except that after quitting birth control my periods came back but were still every 3-4 months, spotting between. For me, it is PCOS.  

You should go back to the doctor and say you have not had a period in 2 years and you want to TTC.  Ask them about investigating for PCOS.  Clomid could possibly get you ovulating, but first you need to find out what's going on.  

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#3 of 16 Old 12-16-2010, 04:52 AM

Rellie47 - First, I want to say I'm sorry you are going through this! 

I do agree with the previous post - the first thing I thought was PCOS.  There are treatments that can help regulate your cycles.  If you feel that your doctor isn't taking you seriously, I'd find a new doctor so you can get the treatment process started. 

Good luck!

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#4 of 16 Old 12-17-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am glad that no one said it sounds like POF. I was reading stuff online and all I could find was that it could be POF.

When I had blood work and 3 ultrasounds everything came back normal. No cysts, do you have to have cysts to have PCOS?

I will be seeing the Doctor after the first of the year.....thumb.gif

With a little hopepraying.gif,

Arielle

#5 of 16 Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 PM

I think both POF and PCOS should have some indication in blood work.  For POF, low estrogen and high FSH.  For PCOS, high androgens and/or abnormal ratio of LH to FSH and/or blood sugar issues.  So if your bloodwork was totally normal and also no cysts, I don't know what to think.  Of course, without knowing exactly what was tested in your bloodwork, something could have been missed because it wasn't tested.  Do you have any symptoms of PCOS other than the lack of periods?   (ex: acne, excess hair, overweight)

#6 of 16 Old 12-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You said it's been a couple years since they did the testing? I'd have them rerun everything.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 16 Old 12-18-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

That is my plan. After the 1st of the year I am going to the doctor and having them do everything again.

Yes I have all of those symptoms of PCOS. I try loosing weight but I just can't. I eat good but nothing changes.

If PCOS is what I have do the doctors have a treatment for it? If they say I have it what should I be asking them to do to treat me?

Thank you to you all for your help.

Arielle

#8 of 16 Old 12-19-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellie47 View Post

That is my plan. After the 1st of the year I am going to the doctor and having them do everything again.

Yes I have all of those symptoms of PCOS. I try loosing weight but I just can't. I eat good but nothing changes.

If PCOS is what I have do the doctors have a treatment for it? If they say I have it what should I be asking them to do to treat me?

Thank you to you all for your help.

Arielle

If they diagnose you with PCOS, the first thing they will try is probably clomid or metformin.   There is several other things they can try if clomid doesn't get you ovulating (which I forget the list, since I am ovulating on clomid, just not pregnant).

#9 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

I have gone to the doctor and they say that I have almost all the symptoms of PCOS but I do not have cysts and that does happen with some people who have PCOS. The only cyst they found was in my uterus and it is 1.1cm in size. They say it is nothing to worry about.

They have put me on metformin to see if that will work. They warned me that I would feel sick for a week when on it. I feel normal, no sickness.biggrinbounce.gif

They were kind of stumped because all my tests came back normal. My blood work, well women, and ultrasounds all normal. I am a little hesitant on just accepting that I have PCOS when all my tests are normal. They say there is no reason why I should not be having my cycle. This July will make 3 years and to my doctors I am normal and healthy. headscratch.gif

So, what should I expect from here on out? Because I have PCOS what should I eat? How should I work out?

#10 of 16 Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Okay, I've read a bunch about diet and exercise for diabetes, not PCOS, but here's what helped the most for nutrition: Protein Power (the book). Seriously. A friend's dad was diagnosed with diabetes and his SIL put him on the protein power regimen and apparently all his blood levels are back in the normal range, no drugs. My own FIL was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and told to go on meds. I urged him to read Protein Power and change his diet accordingly. He did and went back to the doctor, never having taken the meds. Doc said "See, I told you these meds would work well for you!." The doc was SO surprised that he made all the changes by diet and a bit of exercise. 

This is the best comprehensive explanation I've found for PCOS is here: http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php?65636-Pcos-Required-Reading!! In sum, it's amazing how much they still don't know, but they know it's tied to insulin resistance. 

Good luck! 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#11 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I will check it out.thumb.gif

Another question. I have not been tested for insulin resistance ...

My doctor said that because I have a bunch of the symptoms that I most likely am.

So, she said just take the meds. Should I insists on getting tested for it? help.gif

#12 of 16 Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I will check it out.thumb.gif

Another question. I have not been tested for insulin resistance ...

My doctor said that because I have a bunch of the symptoms that I most likely am.

So, she said just take the meds. Should I insists on getting tested for it? help.gif 

#13 of 16 Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 AM

I don't know. I am starting to be of the opinion that doing a complete blood panel (lipids, vit D level, etc.) is a good idea annually. When my FIL had his pre-diabetes diagnosis, I think it was based on annual blood tests. If you have insurance to cover it, maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask for more tests. But it also might be confusing and not helpful if the results aren't clear. Are you very overweight? If so, I think that blood sugar issues are almost guaranteed?

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#14 of 16 Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I am very overweight. I asked my doc if there are other tests and she said it is just easier to take the pills then to go through the tests. I see her again in 3 weeks. I have been talking to a lot of people and I think I am going to ask for the tests and if she says that they are not needed I will get a second opinion.

Thanks

#15 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 AM

That is my plan. After the 1st of the year I am going to the doctor and having them do everything again. When my FIL had his pre-diabetes diagnosis, I think it was based on annual blood tests. If you have insurance to cover it, maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask for more tests. Thanks..

#16 of 16 Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 AM

Just wanted to add that I too have missed/irregular periods and I was diagnosed with PCOS w/out any cysts and I am also of normal weight. He did mention that my chances of having gestational diabetes are almost very high and almost "certain." That is.. if I ever get pregnant. Did your doctor mention anything about gestational diabetes to you?

Fertility blog/background: www.burnedsugar.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page