Anyone ever taken Cytotec (Misoprostol) for a miscarriage??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if this is where I should be posting this.......   I'm still trying to weigh my options here and my OBGYN has recommended using Cytotec (Misoprostol) to get things moving along with this miscarriage greensad.gif.  If you used it, did you take it orally or insert it vaginally?  How long did it take before you started to bleed and how long did you bleed for after that?  Were you in a lot of pain during this process?  Anyone know any negative risks with this med?  I know it is a stomach/IBS drug that they are using basically to start an induction.  TIA!!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#2 of 5 Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I took cytotec after an incomplete miscarriage at around 10 weeks gestation in January of 2009.  My situation was somewhat different than yours - I was only retaining fetal and placental tissue.

I took the drug orally (per my doctor's instructions), and dosed myself with advil at the same time.  Then I went to bed with a hot water bottle and slept for most of the day.  I was only occasionally uncomfortable (although I repeated the advil after six hours), and I recovered fairly quickly.  I bled for a day or two, and managed it with pads.

I know that my doc discussed the risks with me, but I don't recall what they were - my memory of this time is quite blurry.  I know that cytotec seemed to me like the best option I had.  I certainly preferred the risks of cytotec to the risks of D&C in my situation. 

ETA:  I'm terribly sorry that you're going through this, mama.  hug2.gif

#3 of 5 Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 AM

I know I shared already, but I also took cytotec. My doc had me insert it vaginally. He told me to expect cramping and said that in some women it can be quite painful. The cyctotec ultimately failed for me and I had a D&C anyway.

#4 of 5 Old 12-17-2010, 06:24 PM

I took misoprostol for a missed miscarriage (it was my second miscarriage at the time). The baby had stopped developing at around 6 weeks and I took it at 13 weeks. The cramping and major bleeding took a while to start (at least 2-3 hours; sorry the details are vague but it was almost 2 years ago), so I was starting to worry. However, once things started, it didn't take long to finish (I'd say less than 2 hours). I found the cramps quite overwhelming, and thought it was due to the miso, but I had another miscarriage (without the miso) two weeks ago that was almost as painful.  I'd advise that you ensure your doc prescribes some good painkillers. I took Tylenol Threes with the miso and they were not overly effective for me. This time I took Oxycodone, and it helped a bit more.  As for the side effects, I remember panicking a bit because I had read about uterine rupture, but our midwife reassured us that it is only a risk when miso is used to induce full-term labour.  I had no side effects other than the pain. So sorry you are having to go through this.

#5 of 5 Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry this is a little late, but thanks for your responses ladies!!!!!  Anyways, this morning at 6:15am i inserted my first dose of cytotec and have done my 2nd dose 4 hrs latter, so i have 2 more doses to do and then will be done.  I'm having some minor cramping now and had some diarrhea so far, but no bleeding yet.  Who knows when that is going to start, but I kinda hope sooner than later.  I just want to move on with my life.  Thanks again for sharing your stories!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page