Should I seek help? Coming up on one year of TTC. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-28-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, we've been trying almost a year now (11 months) but we had a short pregnancy that lasted about ten weeks and ended up being a blighted ovum.

Should I still seek help next month when our year is up or did any of you try to stick it out after a MC or flase pregnancy situation? Does the fact that I "got pregnant" mean anything when it comes to my fertility (even though a blighted ovum is considered a false pregnancy and not a real pregnancy)?

We are in our thirties and VERY anxious. Everyone around us is pregnant or on their second or third child and we've had baby fever like crazy for this whole past year. It's getting pretty tough to deal. I'm like a pregnant lady MAGNET right now.

Any input would be great. Many thanks.

DW married to DH expecting first baby in April 2012!

#2 of 4 Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 PM

I would seek help - particularly if it's starting to feel like a long time to you.  And, in your 30s, probably best not to wait too long before getting checked out.  As far as the indications of having had a blighted ovum, I'm really not sure.  I know that my RE told us that our chemical pregnancy on our first IVF try was a good indicator of eventual success with IVF (and I am now 38 weeks pregnant).  Good luck!

#3 of 4 Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo4piano View Post

Hi, we've been trying almost a year now (11 months) but we had a short pregnancy that lasted about ten weeks and ended up being a blighted ovum.

Should I still seek help next month when our year is up or did any of you try to stick it out after a MC or flase pregnancy situation? Does the fact that I "got pregnant" mean anything when it comes to my fertility (even though a blighted ovum is considered a false pregnancy and not a real pregnancy)?

We are in our thirties and VERY anxious. Everyone around us is pregnant or on their second or third child and we've had baby fever like crazy for this whole past year. It's getting pretty tough to deal. I'm like a pregnant lady MAGNET right now.

Any input would be great. Many thanks.

First of all, I don't believe in the whole "false pregnancy" thing. You were pregnant. You lost the baby. And I'm very sorry for your loss. But there was a baby there at some point or the body would not have said "hey, don't have a period" and all that stuff. And often with a blighted ovum there's a good size sac. A sac is not made if there was not sperm and egg united and implanted. That to me, is a baby. Or in the very least, a conception.

The fact that you conceived does mean many good things. You make good eggs. Dh makes functional sperm. Your cm is probably good. Your vagina is a favourable pH. Your cervix and tubes are clear. Your uterus is favourable for implantation.

Sadly what likely happened is your baby's DNA didn't copy right, and died very early on. But hormones are too high for the body to realize right away. Not until the placenta takes over hormone production.

So there are a lot of good signs there.

11 months isn't all that long, especially if you subtract the time you "missed out on" while pregnant. It really has only been like 9 cycles or so, right?

And you had a conception in that time.

So really, I think  you're ok. If you keep trying I'm sure you'll get pregnant again. But if you want to talk to your doc about it I understand that too.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 4 Old 01-01-2011, 06:06 PM

I would seek help, if I were you. Infertility treatment can be a long process and the sooner you start the better. Do you know what testing and treatments your insurance covers? That would be a good place to start, and also asking your physician for a referral.

Best of luck in 2011. I know how hard it is to long for your baby and feel no closer than when you started. The fact that you know you CAN become pregnant it great news in fertility terms - but still painful and frustrating. Try to focus on the present while preparing for the next step in your journey - and don't be scared to take that next step - it's just what you've got to do to move toward your goal of parenthood.

xoxoxo

single mama, started TTC Jan 2009, 12 IUIs w/frozen sperm, 3 self-insem w/fresh sperm; IVF cycle March 2011 gave me my beautiful daughter who is now 2 yrs old!!! Trying to make her a baby sibling from my frosties, 2 natural cycle FETs=bfn, on a medicated FET cycle now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page