What kind of progesterone do you prefer??????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my title kinda says it all!!??  I know there are the PIO shots, Crinone , or prometrium?  Anyone used the prometrium?  I don't know much about that one... can anyone fill me in??

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#2 of 61 Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm using Prometrium now.  My doctor gave me instructions to start it four days after the IUI and use it twice a day.  It's a little round capsule and the doc said to ignore the bottle that says to take by mouth and use it vaginally instead.  I'm supposed to take it until I go back for my blood test on January 17.  So far I haven't had any issues at all with it.  I'm also taking estrogen pills vaginally to increase the lining and that one makes for some strange "leakage" (teal colored, like the pill), but the prometrium doesn't do that.

Wife to DH, Mom to DD (5/14/04) and our IVF miracle DS (10/12/12)!!

#3 of 61 Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

GaleTX - first off I love your profile picture!! Very cute!  Is that actually you?  Thanks for sharing about the prometrium.  I would think that it would be the cheapest of all three, but i don't know, do you know?  I was on the PIO shots for my last IVF and it was okay, but just kinda a pain after awhile.  Do you have to use the prometrium at a certain time every day or is it just morning and night? The shots were kinda a pain b/c they want you to try and take them at the same time every day and sometimes it was hard if we weren't home like on the weekends or wanted to hang out with friends later on in the evenings.  I'm just weighing all my options right now.  Thanks again for sharing!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

#4 of 61 Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Yep, that's us in the picture - the photographer says it works better earlier in the day, but I thought it turned out cute!

I'm not sure about the PIO or Crinone costs, but the Prometrium was $30 for a 30 day supply with insurance (the printout says the true cost was $129.05).  My RE said to just take it twice a day, trying to do it pretty close to the same time.  I take the 100 mg capsules.  I'm not a huge fan of the whole vaginal thing, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the result I want!

Wife to DH, Mom to DD (5/14/04) and our IVF miracle DS (10/12/12)!!

#5 of 61 Old 01-09-2011, 06:09 PM

I've used both the PIO and crinone/prometrium.  I prefer the shot, simply because it doesn't leak out.  When I used crinone, I took one in the morning and one at bedtime.  With the PIO, basically 12 hours apart.

It's not so important to take the shot at exactly the same time each day. You just have to maintain a level in your body.  I've actually skipped doses before, with my doctor's blessing, once or twice.

Do you do your own shots?  I had to learn because I traveled for a few days without dh.  I actually prefered them that way, and chose to do it sometimes even when he was around.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#6 of 61 Old 01-09-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

goldfinches - Thanks for your info.  It is always good to hear other people's opinions especially when you have tried them all.  I didn't give myself my own shot, my DH always did it.  When you give them to yourself where would you do it at?  I can't imagine being able to twist around and shot myself in the butt.

#7 of 61 Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM

goldfinches - I'd also like to know how you did the shots yourself!

afm - I've used Crinone (vaginally) and Prometrium (orally). My RE just switched to mainly using Crinone rather than PIO. My understanding is that PIO shows up in the bloodstream and allows your RE to see clearer levels in the blood. Vaginal prometrium and Crinone don't register in the blood stream as much and some REs aren't as secure w/that and would rather see the levels from the PIO. However, I'd love to learn more, too!

Staying Zen om.gif for a healthy belly.gifand rainbow1284.gif babies via IVF after 2x angel2.gif

Grateful for my amazingsuperhero.gifDH!
#8 of 61 Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songtothemoon View Post

goldfinches - I'd also like to know how you did the shots yourself!

I'll try to explain without too much rambling...

To learn how to give myself the shot, I laid down on my bed, on my left elbow and left side, leaned around to my right side, (I'm right handed), made sure I was really relaxed, lined the needle up and pushed it in.  No "tossing" like you're supposed to do.

After I got comfortable with that, I moved on to standing and giving myself the shot.  

I never pulled back, to check for blood.  I'm not sure they say to do that, anymore, anyway.

To do it standing up, I stood in front of a large mirror so I could see my hip.  I leaned against the counter, twisted around, used my right hand on my right hip, lined up and shot.

Honestly, I'm the biggest scaredy cat of needles, (wouldn't know it from the hundreds I've gone through), and it ended up not being too bad.

I think there's even a youtube video of someone giving herself the shot.  (it's not me, lol!)

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#9 of 61 Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

goldfinches - Wow, that is impressive!!! Thanks for the description, I actually liked having to my DH do my shots.  I at least felt like he was adding to the process in a way (other than his "donation" - which he would always complain about LOL), but if he was gone on business it would really have been a pain.  I know it sounds funny, but with this process I felt like he had the easy part and at least this gave him a responsibility and I think it made him feel more a part of it all.  I may just be weird, who knows.  At least now I know if I have to do it myself I could go back to this post and read through it step by step. 

#10 of 61 Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 AM

I prefer oral Prometrium and the shots. I'm currently undergoing progesterone therapy for chronically low progesterone levels. I'm taking 200 mg of Prometrium daily and a weekly progesterone injection at my OB's office. The injections aren't pleasant. The serum is very thick and usually causes a large knot in my hips, but I have found if I massage the injection site a couple times a day it does get a lot better sooner. I don't prefer the suppositories as they are quite messy. My biggest complaint overall is the severity of nausea I'm experiencing.

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#11 of 61 Old 01-26-2011, 03:21 PM

ProgonB sublingual

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#12 of 61 Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post

ProgonB sublingual

I've never heard of this??????  Is this just like another brand name of Prometrium???  Enlighten me!!

#13 of 61 Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM

There is a new kind of intra-vaginal progesterone available since last year. Instead of the leaky and gooey stuff, it is a fizzy tab (yes, you ca take a second to laugh at the idea) that disappears in a few seconds. Many doctors are switching to it. http://www.ferringfertility.com/medications/endometrin/

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#14 of 61 Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post

There is a new kind of intra-vaginal progesterone available since last year. Instead of the leaky and gooey stuff, it is a fizzy tab (yes, you ca take a second to laugh at the idea) that disappears in a few seconds. Many doctors are switching to it. http://www.ferringfertility.com/medications/endometrin/

Interesting!!!  How many times a day did you have to use it?  I'm liking the looks of this one.... no painful shots and no buildup.  Any idea on how much it runs out of pocket??

#15 of 61 Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 PM

Blue-- I am on both the Progesterone in Ethyl Oleate and Progesterone Vag Capsules. I don't know if it is prometrium or not, the bottle just says progesterone vag caps. My cost is without insurance coverage and I get them from Freedom.. The PIEO is $45.80 a bottle, which for me last 5 days as I am on 2ml a day. The Progesteron vag caps are $105 for 42 caps, which is a 21 day supply. I am also on Delestrogen which is $193 for 2 bottles, a bottle last me a month. My insurance has changed and doesn't cover any meds anymore, even with me being pregnant, because they are compounded. I am going to fight this with the help of my clinic. Hope this helps some.

K 30 married to J 40 Love being a SAHM to our IVF miracles: Jackson 08/09, Emily and Miles 09/11 Missing our lost babies 04/08, 08/10. Currently planted on a soft surface bfinfant.gifall day long.

#16 of 61 Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 AM

Blue I recently found a receipt for my Crinone. I can't remember the exact amount but it was very expensive around $600-900 for a six week supply. It was definitely preferable to shots, but it was messy and gave me some irritation. It built up and came out in chunks like feta cheese - so gross! I've used prometrium vaginally without and problems. Now I'm taking one prometrium orally 3x/day and its fine. The prometrium was only about $200.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#17 of 61 Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM

It's an over the counter sublingual progesterone. I bought it online and used it after ovulation and during pregnancy until 13 weeks (w/d DD2). I will use it again if my cycle needs it and/or during first trimester. I do not have a ob/gyn so this is a great way for self treatment. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueyezz4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post

Interesting!!!  How many times a day did you have to use it?  I'm liking the looks of this one.... no painful shots and no buildup.  Any idea on how much it runs out of pocket??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyezz4 View Post

Quote:

ProgonB sublingual

I've never heard of this??????  Is this just like another brand name of Prometrium???  Enlighten me!!

#18 of 61 Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 AM

Link to the ProgonB:

http://www.progonb.com/

#19 of 61 Old 01-27-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliesara63 View Post

Blue I recently found a receipt for my Crinone. I can't remember the exact amount but it was very expensive around $600-900 for a six week supply. It was definitely preferable to shots, but it was messy and gave me some irritation. It built up and came out in chunks like feta cheese - so gross! I've used prometrium vaginally without and problems. Now I'm taking one prometrium orally 3x/day and its fine. The prometrium was only about $200.

Oh man!!!!!!!!!!  600-900 dollars!!  That totally bums me out!!!!!!!  Why does this stuff have to be so expensive???????  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  irked.gif  Thanks for the info!

#20 of 61 Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's an over the counter sublingual progesterone. I bought it online and used it after ovulation and during pregnancy until 13 weeks (w/d DD2). I will use it again if my cycle needs it and/or during first trimester. I do not have a ob/gyn so this is a great way for self treatment. 

I wonder how this would go over with an RE though?  Especially the fact that it isn't approved by the FDA. Hmmmmm.... that might be an interesting one to bring up with the RE or the nurse.  I like the fact that it is a natural plant-derived progesterone supplement though.  Thanks for sharing this info!  I love that I'm getting all this info and knowledge from this forum.

#21 of 61 Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Hello!  I found this thread and hope I can crash.  I'm currently pregnant with my second and I'm on progesterone shots (weekly, given at the ob's office) to prevent premature labor.  My son was early and I started to have problems in week 35 with him (ie early labor signs).  So, they want me to get shots of progesterone.  I don't want to hurt my baby's chances of going to term, but MAN the side effects for me are rough!  Have any of you noticed side effects?  Maybe it is my imagination?  The OB has not been very helpful and writes them all off, but I am definitely very morning sick, severe headaches, tired all the time.  Have any of you experienced any of those side effects?

Again, sorry for crashing your thread, but I am stuck on where to find answers from real women who have been through this.  Thank you!

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
#22 of 61 Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

aleatha5 - "Crash" away!!!  The more the merrier!!  I don't really have an answer for you, but hopefully someone else will.  I've only taken progesterone after our 1st IVF (PIO) and stopped at around 7-8 wks when we found out we were going to M/C.  So are your progesterone levels low is that why your dr wants you on shots to help keep this pregnancy as long as possible?  This interest me b/c we lost twins at 22.5 wks and I'm always wondering what we could do to get farther than that the next time.  Hope someone can help and that you find your answers.  How far along are you now?

#23 of 61 Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 PM

I currently have a client who is in need of progesterone.. her insurance doesnt cover it and I told her I would check. As an IVF momma myself I know that I had extra ... so here's hoping I dont get deleted and that the right person reads this and contacts me. She's willing to pay for it and shipping... obviously this is time sensitive- and not trying to offend anyone.. just getting desperate not being able to write her a prescription

#24 of 61 Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 PM

Hi

There is my story...

I have strange spotting between O and m. We gonna do IUI this month so beside clomid my doc gave me prescription for crinone 8% 15,,,I didn't get that right away and when my DH got to the pharmacy he found out it would be $193 (my insurance doesnt cover)...It was saturday, so I left voice mail to my re and did some researches online,,,I found out that you could by it in Canada or UK pharmacys for half price, but it wouldnt get here on time,,,the I google more and found msg boards where infertility friends sell unused drugs; got two months suply very inexpensive,,,on Monday my nurse called and left the msg that they acually could order the same dosage generic medication for about 1$ each plus shipping, some pharmacys makes them!!! I am upset with my RE now cause he knew my insurance doesn't cover it and still gave me prescription for most expensive version of progesteron,,, 

Now, with the crinone - should i use it before I go sleep?...Should I keep tampon in during the day to avoid leaking? Am so afraid,,,Plus other side effects I read about,,,

,,,it was worth to wait for two years,,,
#25 of 61 Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lega View Post

Hi

There is my story...

I have strange spotting between O and m. We gonna do IUI this month so beside clomid my doc gave me prescription for crinone 8% 15,,,I didn't get that right away and when my DH got to the pharmacy he found out it would be $193 (my insurance doesnt cover)...It was saturday, so I left voice mail to my re and did some researches online,,,I found out that you could by it in Canada or UK pharmacys for half price, but it wouldnt get here on time,,,the I google more and found msg boards where infertility friends sell unused drugs; got two months suply very inexpensive,,,on Monday my nurse called and left the msg that they acually could order the same dosage generic medication for about 1$ each plus shipping, some pharmacys makes them!!! I am upset with my RE now cause he knew my insurance doesn't cover it and still gave me prescription for most expensive version of progesteron,,, 

Now, with the crinone - should i use it before I go sleep?...Should I keep tampon in during the day to avoid leaking? Am so afraid,,,Plus other side effects I read about,,,

I would ask your Dr when he wants you to use them... some Drs want them to be used twice a day so I'd for sure check with your nurse!!!! I would NOT use a tampon b/c then the progesterone will just absorb into the tampon and not your body.  I also had been told like 3 yrs ago to stop using tampons all together when are TTC.... that was by an acupuncturist.   Also, usually Drs don't know what is covered under your insurance plan when they give you a script.  Everyone's plan is different so they will just give you a script for what they recommend and then I would normally call my insurance to see if it will be covered or ask the pharmacy to check before they fill it and let me know.  Good luck to you!

#26 of 61 Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM

blueyezz, I don't know if my progesterone is low, they never tested it.  But they did say that preterm labor is caused by a drop in progesterone, so by getting the weekly shots I am supposedly keeping my progesterone at a high enough level that I won't go into early labor.  It definitely sounds like if you went into labor at 22.5 weeks, this could help you.  The shots are $50 with my insurance and I get one a week until week 36 and they have been shown to be very effective at preventing labor until after 37 weeks -- I'm really hoping I make it to 37 weeks!  But, for me, the side effects are horrible, the headaches, the nausea, the tiredness!  Ugh, but it will be worth it to have a full term baby.  

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
#27 of 61 Old 02-04-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatha5 View Post

blueyezz, I don't know if my progesterone is low, they never tested it.  But they did say that preterm labor is caused by a drop in progesterone, so by getting the weekly shots I am supposedly keeping my progesterone at a high enough level that I won't go into early labor.  It definitely sounds like if you went into labor at 22.5 weeks, this could help you.  The shots are $50 with my insurance and I get one a week until week 36 and they have been shown to be very effective at preventing labor until after 37 weeks -- I'm really hoping I make it to 37 weeks!  But, for me, the side effects are horrible, the headaches, the nausea, the tiredness!  Ugh, but it will be worth it to have a full term baby.  

Interesting and thanks so much for sharing this info.  I just hope i can put all of it together and put it to good use one day!  So these shots can't be given at home?  I know when we just did our last IVF my DH was giving me shots of Progesterone in oil one a day in the butt.  Are yours also in the butt?  Maybe your insurance wouldn't pay if you were doing it at home, i don't know.  How far along are you now????  Fingers crossed for you to make if even farther than 37 wks!! Take care!

#28 of 61 Old 02-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Hello! I am on Prometrium - started last Sunday (7 days ago). The scrip is for one pill (200 mg) orally from ovulation until I either get a BFP or AF. So far the only side effect I have experienced has been extreme tiredness and dizziness about 20 minutes after I take the pill. It lasts for about 25 minutes and then I'm fine. I have heard that other people experience pregnancy like symptoms and I have had none of that. The scrip cost me $78 out of pocket for 20 pills.

#29 of 61 Old 02-06-2011, 03:54 PM

You can take those same pills and use them vaginally. They will still be absorbed but w/out the yucky side effects (and avoid the liver). I had the same effects using Prometrium. I read here on MDC about using them vaginally and tried it...worked well for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleEricJenn View Post

Hello! I am on Prometrium - started last Sunday (7 days ago). The scrip is for one pill (200 mg) orally from ovulation until I either get a BFP or AF. So far the only side effect I have experienced has been extreme tiredness and dizziness about 20 minutes after I take the pill. It lasts for about 25 minutes and then I'm fine. I have heard that other people experience pregnancy like symptoms and I have had none of that. The scrip cost me $78 out of pocket for 20 pills.

#30 of 61 Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Hi. I'm really new to this site so I'm crashing as well. I hope that's ok! Treehugginhippie (love the name!), I had no idea I could take the prometrium vaginally. I just finished a round (just got the news that my beta test was negative-this is so frustrating and stressful-not to mention expensive! I just spent more than 1200 on one IUI round because it's not covered by my insurance! Two more rounds before IVF) Anyway, I had bad side effects on Prometrium (orally 100mg twice a day). I was constantly tired and dizzy. I also had a difficult time focusing (haha but then again, don't we all? Infertility is taking over my life!). The worst, though, are the mood swings and crankiness. I'm looking forward to it washing out of my system while I prepare for the next round.

Just a couple of questions...if you use it vaginally, how far up do you have to insert it? And how long before it is absorbed?

Thank you!

Attempted induction at 38 weeks; ended up with a c-section.

In love with my baby boy Colin and baby girl Sienna!

love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page