Antioxidant supplement for male infertility? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I had an early miscarriage in March 2010 and just found out I'm going to be miscarrying again (likely a blighted ovum - no baby on u/s at 7 or 8 weeks but have not miscarried yet).  Both losses, therefore, are early ones.  I do have low progesterone that was discovered after my first miscarriage and I was on it the months up to conceiving this baby and once I found out I was pregnant. My levels were being tested during this pregnancy and have been fine on the prometrium.  

My dh had a SA done months ago and they turned out fine.  But, he has diabetes and I've read that there is a relationship between diabetes and DNA damage in sperm which would not show up on a SA.  I'm wondering if both of my losses were chromosome issues, potentially related to poor sperm quality.  As a side note, my two full-term healthy babies that were both conceived the first month trying - I got a BFP at 11dpo with both of them and was already experiencing morning sickness that day (so i wouldn't be surprised if I could have gotten a BFP earlier).  Both of my losses though were very late BFPs and I've read the relationship between late implantation and miscarriage (although they don't seem clear on whether it is a progesterone issue or a chromosome issue).  But, with my first loss, I didn't get a BFP until 15dpo and with this one, I got 3 BFNs before finally getting a BFP at 17dpo.  Not sure if that's relevant or not...

Anyway, onto my question.  If dh does have DNA fragmentation issues in his sperm, I've read studies showing that antioxidants can help, particularly vitamin C and E.  He's been taking C but not E because I wasn't sure of a safe level.  I then started to wonder if there is just an "all in one" kind of supplement that is an antioxidant support for fertility.  The one study I read that used vitamins C and E to improve sperm quality gave 1 gram of both Vitamin C and E so I'd think something similar to that in a supplement would be good but didn't know if there was anything else that might be helpful.  Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi CallieOllie! I'm new to the forum but just read your post. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope that things go well for you soon! One of the things my husband started taking was the vitamin E at 400IU. He has noticed a dramatic increase in the sperm volumn - he noticed this about a week after taking. I believe his other levels were fine but you may want to try the E. You never know what will help!

#3 of 3 Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ugh, sorry for you trials :(

a classic sperm-enhancing anti-oxidant is pycogenal (pine seed extract)

other DH supps are: zinc, l-arginine, l-cartinine, vit e and selenium

good luck

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2b942d

37yo mom to sweet boy after stressful pregnancy, and TTC 2nd starting nov2009 
trying holistic measures, B6 and other supplements, TCM with acu and herbs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page