Increased risk of heart attacks in women with history of miscarriages - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
aba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has there been a discussion on this?  It was in the news but didn't get a lot of coverage.  It really seems to me that the blood issues that can cause pregnancy loss could well be the cause of the heart issues later....

A study has found every miscarriage raised a woman's risk of having a heart attack by 40 per cent

Women who suffer repeated miscarriages are five times more likely to have a heart attack in later life, a study has found.

Almost a quarter of more than 11,500 women taking part in a European study had suffered at least one miscarriage. A further two per cent had suffered a stillbirth.

Of those 2,876 women to have miscarried, 69 had done so more than three times, the research published online today in the journal Heart found.

The researchers found that having at least one stillbirth increased the risk of heart attack by 3.5 times.

Those who had more than three miscarriages were nine times more likely to have a heart attack, with the risk falling to five times as likely when factors such as weight and smoking were taken into consideration.

Every miscarriage raised the risk of having a heart attack by 40 per cent, with women who had more than two miscarriages being four times as likely to have a heart attack.

The study, looking at links between pregnancy loss and myocardial infarction (MI), or heart attack, and stroke, was carried out at the German Cancer Research Centre in Heidelberg, Germany.

The researchers said:'"These results suggest that women who experienced spontaneous pregnancy loss are at a substantially higher risk of MI later in life.

'Recurrent miscarriage and stillbirth are strong gender predictors for MI and thus should be considered as important indicators for monitoring cardiovascular risk factors and preventive measures.'

The British Heart Foundation said no "firm conclusions" could be drawn from the research as multiple miscarriages are so rare.

Judy O'Sullivan, the charity's senior cardiac nurse, said: 'While this is certainly an interesting observation it gives no proven explanation for an increase in heart attack risk.

'It's not simply a case of saying multiple miscarriages increase your risk of a heart attack - lots of other factors come into play.

'It's known in some cases of multiple miscarriages that the women have previously undiagnosed heart and circulatory disease, or significant risk factors for the disease, so they may have an increased heart attack risk which is unrelated to the pregnancy.

'Multiple miscarriages are rare so we cannot draw any firm conclusions from this study about how they relate to an increased risk of heart disease.'

Source:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1334930/Multiple-miscarriages-linked-higher-heart-attack-risk.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also read that article - which means that I must be headed for one since I've had 7 m/c so far. Not sure what to make of it at this point.shrug.gif

#3 of 3 Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I find this fascinating. I've had 3 miscarriages and my last pregnancy ended with me in heart failure.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page