Information on Clomid safety - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Folks,

I'm sure someone has asked about this before, but I can't find anything on it by searching. My RE is recommending clomid, and I feel like I don't know enough about its safety. Can you recommend a resource for getting information on why clomid is safe for both the mother and the baby? Or would you be willing to tell me why you decided it is safe or not safe?

Thank you! love.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM

I did two Clo cycles... never had any sort of issues. Of course there's some increase in the risk for multiples, but since I didn't ovulate at all without it - it made sense for us.  You only take it for 4-7 days. I found when I was on it I had some hot flashes and mood swings, but there weren't any actual dangers in taking it.

As far as risks for baby? None, to the best of my knowledge. You are long since finished taking the drugs before you even ovulate.

#3 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 03:19 PM

Echoing what the PP said - the Clomid is completely out of your system before you even ovulate, so baby is totally fine.

For me - I had none of the typical symptoms for my 2 clomid cycles. Instead of giving me insomnia in fact it made me extremely sleepy. I had no choice but to take it a night because I would be asleep within 30 minutes of taking it. Some women do have more bloating or pain related to extra fluid in the abdomen. And there is a risk of developing cysts because of the extra stimulation of the ovaries. I didn't have any of that happen to me though.
#4 of 12 Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Ratgrl and Rhiandmoi. It makes sense that since you take clomid before you are actually pregnant it shouldn't have much of an effect on the baby. Have you (or anyone else) read anything on any long-term effects it has on the mother?

Thank you!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#5 of 12 Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Not really, no. Clomid is a very focused drug... quick in, quick out. I've never heard of any lasting effects.

#6 of 12 Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM

Eh, I could speculate.  As a matter of fact, I do speculate.  You aren't supposed to be on clomid for more than 6 cycles.  I can't remember the exact why, and in a quick search I can't find much about it.  I used to belong to an IVF forum and heard multiple times that you should only take 6 cycles.

I believe the 20-24 cycles I took negatively influenced my body and led to a pre-cancerous condition.

But...

I think it's a good drug, and if it can be made to work for you, it's very non-invasive.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#7 of 12 Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 PM

They don't do more than 6 cycles because they believe, if it didn't happen in 6 cycles, you need to try something different,,,Thats what I know.

I was doing it for 4 cycles. The first cycle I was "high"  - unexplained happines was all over the place :D  No other symptoms...I don't think it does any harm if you take right dose.

,,,it was worth to wait for two years,,,
#8 of 12 Old 01-25-2011, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Part of the reason they limit it to 6 cycles is because of increased risk of cancer down the road.

You can also get hyperstimulation of the ovaries - it's rare but it's one of the reasons you should be monitored on it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 12 Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lega View Post

They don't do more than 6 cycles because they believe, if it didn't happen in 6 cycles, you need to try something different,,,Thats what I know.

I was doing it for 4 cycles. The first cycle I was "high"  - unexplained happines was all over the place :D  No other symptoms...I don't think it does any harm if you take right dose.

I wish that were all.

Lifeguard has it right.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#10 of 12 Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Part of the reason they limit it to 6 cycles is because of increased risk of cancer down the road.

You can also get hyperstimulation of the ovaries - it's rare but it's one of the reasons you should be monitored on it.

It is not conclusively linked to the cancer though. Women who have 24 cycles of clomid are less likely to have had a successful pregnancy putting them at higher risk for reproductive cancer anyway.
#11 of 12 Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Yes, but you can get hyperstimuliation and on the 1st cycle w clomid...

There:

2. Clomid Conception Failure: This is defined as failure to conceive after six documented ovulatory cycles on clomiphene. These patients become like any other patients with unexplained infertility and care should be taken to complete the infertility work-up if it has not been done yet including a semen analysis, HSG, post coital test, endometrial biopsy and laparoscopy to check for pelvic adhesions and or / endometriosis.
What are our opinions for these patients:

a) Low dose gonadotropin use with IUI can be considered although these patients are at risk for multiple pregnancy and OHSS.

b) IVF should be strongly considered, as this can be a diagnostic as well as a therapeutic procedure.

Clomid patients should be properly monitored to maximize the success and guard against potential side effects, including adverse affects on the cervical mucus and ovarian cyst formation. Patients should not be put on Clomid for more than 3 cycles before re-evaluating the treatment.

Clomid use for longer than 12 cycles has been associated with an increase incidence of ovarian cancer; therefore, the medication should be used judiciously and whenever the benefits outweigh the risks.

Clomid is usually successful within 3 to 4 ovulatory cycles.Use beyond this time frame is generally not recommended. As such it is extremely important for the gynecologist to be familiar with the proper indications and the limitations of this therapy.

,,,it was worth to wait for two years,,,
#12 of 12 Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page