Iodine/synthroid/TSH/symptoms.......Probably the wrong place, but I know there's some knowledgable folks here.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I've been on synthroid (for "sub clinical" hypothyroid - was 2.9ish) for about 9 mos (TSH after 6 wks was 1.4ish).  A few months ago, I started taking iodine supplements... After 6 weeks or so, I started getting hyper- symptoms (major insomnia, heart palpations, etc.).  I'm really curious to see if I was simply iodine-deficient, and not actually hypothyroid, so I've stopped taking the synthroid (monitoring for hypo- symptoms and I did taper for a week)... Anyone have a suggestion about how long I should be off synthroid before having my TSH/free T4 drawn?  I'd ask the MD, but I have a feeling that answer will be "don't go off the medicine, take more medicine for the insomnia, and we'll do $1,000,000 in tests for your heart..."  

Anyone have any thoughts?

--Rainy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Rainy -

I am also "sub-clinical" hypothyroidism  - thought my TSH was 4.3.

It's possible you were iodine deficient, but MOST things I have read that are current seem to say that iodine supplementation is rarely needed.  (But rare does happen - and would be possible if you don't eat any processed food, go out to eat, use only (uniodized) sea salt...)

I would try 2 weeks off of synthyroid before re-testing your TSH.... Acording to what I've heard and read, that's about how long it takes to get into/out of your system.

Also, acupuncture can really help thyroid issues.

And because I have become a TTC thyroid nerd - I would suggest looking into the soy isoflavins - they are know to aggravate thyroid issues - My naturapath took my off all unfermented soy products.  (A bummer for me, as I love tofu and soy milk...)

Mama to Little Beedust.gif born April 2007 -

Expecting a new little one in Mid-October, after 3 1/2 years TTC

#3 of 4 Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM

I have mild hypothyroidism - would love to learn more about acupuncture and how it helps. notes.gif

sleepytime.gif
#4 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

ARGH!  Had a nicely written reply and, *poof*, it disappeared.  

Anyway...

Thanks Jenger, for your info!  

Marinak1977, I started with a TSH around 3.7, went to acupuncture (for about a year), and on the re-check it was 2.9, and many of my hypo symptoms had subsided (my favorite was my bbt went from 96.2-ish to 97.6-ish!), the synthroid just makes up the difference between me-with-acupuncture and goal (no symptoms).  Perhaps I could be more aggressive w/ treatments for hypo, and avoid synthroid... IDK...

As far as the iodine in food - most industrial/commercial foods use plain salt - NON-iodized salt - it's cheaper, which is why you see sky-high sodium contents, but no %RDA for iodine on food labels :/  'Sides, I really don't care for the taste of salt to begin with (as in, NO salt on popcorn, eggs, cooked veggies, mashed potatoes, etc. If we're out of pepper, you *might* catch me sprinkling salt on my hard-boiled egg.  *Might*)...

And the soy... yeah, tried that for a few cycles - no O, and then my cycles went on a little vacation GRRRRR.... So... between MDC changing the forums and me having a birthday, I'm not really game on trying to figure out how to change my signature to say I'm not using soy. :-P  (I don't drink much soy/eat much tofu either... I'm a rice-milk and black beans kinda gal... not together, eww...) 

A good friend once told me to not write emails or post anywhere after 10.  Perhaps I should have listened to her tonight. 

:D

Rainy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page