HSG on Wednesday! Help me prepare! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that I shoud take 600-800 mg of ibuprofen (I don't have anything stronger) before hand. I'm not given antibiotics prior to the procedure because I've never had a pelvic or tubal infection before, which concerns me...

I've heard that's its very painful for some women and not at all for others. I deal really well with pain, so I should be fine there. Only thing is that they only do these in the morning (7am!) and I have to go to work afterwards. My question is if I'll be able to work or if I should do a half day?

Thanks!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM

I took like 600 ibuprofen before mine (30 mins before it think it was) and it just cramped a little bit during the procedure and then was over.  I also went back to work afterward and they gave me a pad there to wear just in case, but i didn't even need it.  I didn't have any pain after those few secs.  I had expected the worst and it was simple, but I also didn't have blocked tubes.  I know that can be more painful.  Good luck to you.  Hope it goes well!!!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#3 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was terrified of mine and it was so not a big deal. I felt a crampy feeling for a few seconds and then it was over. I was totally tense and waiting for the pain but it didn't happen. The anticipation was the worst part.

AFAIK, as soon as they stop injecting the dye it stops hurting instantly. I went straight to work no problem. I think I took 400 mg of ibuprofen beforehand, no abx.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#4 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm just like the previous posts: a little cramping while it was going on, but totally fine afterwards.  I didn't take antibiotics before or after.  I did have to take steriods and benadryl at scheduled intervals leading up to it because I'm allergic to shellfish, but didn't have any sort of reaction to it.  I also was given a pad to wear afterwards and didn't need it, though my RE said it was more to catch any of the excess dye than for bleeding. 

Wife to DH, Mom to DD (5/14/04) and our IVF miracle DS (10/12/12)!!

#5 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM

I didn't take any pain meds before or after.  I did experience it as very painful, and very uncomfortable, but it's over very quickly.  I was just left with an icky sensation afterwards. They offered me the antibiotics which I refused and it was fine.

I definitely was glad I had a pad in though, because I had a coffee an hour later and a had a big gush of liquid come out.

I reckon you can go back to work almost immediately if need be.  I ( am a dancer) and went to an audition later that day! BUT if you can take the day off do it. It's just nice to pamper yourself on that day I figure.

Good luck.

Proud mother of girl born 3/1/2009
#6 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!

It went fine, no big deal at all. Only a 1 or 2 on a 1-10 pain scale! The doctor who did it is the leader in reproductive medicine in the greater Seattle area, and he went very slow with injecting the dye. Only issue was the hospital's policy was to not let my husband come back with me, but we got over that and the doctor was very professional and courteous.

Uterus and fallopian tubes looked normal too! It took a while for the dye to flow through the fallopian tubes, but it did flow through. All done with testing and ready to start clomid and start trying again in April. :)

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#7 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Kaydove - Good to hear that all went smoothly and not too much pain!!!  Did you know that they say after having a hsg it increases your chances of getting pregnant on your own b/c it has kinda cleared everything out of there or something like that.  Someone else might know more. Just an FYI!!  I don't know your whole story, but why do you have to wait until April to ttc again, can't you try now?

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

#8 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

blueyezz4:

Waiting until April is more for an emotional break from TTC after my miscarriage. I do very well with goals so I decided waiting until April was a good amount of time for us. And its my birthday month. shy.gif I figured it would give us enough time for any testing we want to do, without feeling rushed, and also time for my DH to quit smoking, which he is very committed to.

The clomid is for my luteal phase defect, only a 10-11 day LP. I did hear that fertility is increased for 3-6 months after a HSG! Thanks!

#9 of 11 Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Kaydove  I guess if I would have read your sig I might have been able to figure that one out.  So sorry for your loss  hug2.gif!  My heart truly breaks for you since I totally understand.  It is good to have goals to work towards and I hope that your dreams will come true again one day.  Take care and best of luck!!

#10 of 11 Old 02-17-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

blueyezz4 - thank you for the kind words!

#11 of 11 Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM

yeah for the HSG to be all clear!!!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page