Side Effects of HCG and IUI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone had any negative side effects from HCG and IUI?  Anyone heard that it can cause you to have a large number of multiples. I would be totally ok with having twins or triplets, but I dont know that I could manage more than that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM

By hcg I am guessing you mean a trigger shot? The trigger shot will cause all follicles to rupture, so if you take that along with something like clomid that increases the number of follicles you develop then yes you can increase the liklihood of higher order multiples. That's why I think it's important to have monitoring - if there are too many follicles then the cycle can be canceled.

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#3 of 4 Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is good to know. If I'm not taking something like clomid, then it would only cause the follicles to rupture that my body naturally made...so there should be less chance of multiples?

#4 of 4 Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM

I think they would want you on something, either clomid or other injectible meds.  It's really the best way to "time" when the follies will be mature and ready to trigger with HCG.  Unless you have very consistent cycles perhaps???  I think the chances of twins with clomid is around 6% (if you get pregnant), but a very small chance of triplets or more.  Injectibles have a track record of higher order mulitples because the produce more follies, but like the previous poster commented, if you are monitored correctly, the RE can change your dosage mid cycle or cancel if too many follies are growing. 

IVF gives you a smaller chance of multiples because you can control how many embryos are transfered back.  However with injectibles/IUI, you want more follies to be released because there is a less likely chance that they would even be fertilized by the sperm.  So really you might want 3-4 (or more?) follies to trigger to increase your odds of getting pregnant. 

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page