Acupuncture - any signs it was working? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I just did my 2nd session of acupuncture. I've been ttc since last January and we've had 2 early losses in that time. I have low progesterone but other than that, no ideas why I have lost the babies I lost. I'm giving acupuncture a try to see if it will help me get and stay pregnant. I had a D&C January 12th and didn't ovulate between then and AF. I didn't have any CM or temp changes or anything. My temps are now starting to go back to normal and I'm getting EWCM although I don't know if that's just because my body is finally going back to normal or if the acupuncture is helping.  Is there anything I'd notice that would let me know if it's helping or just if I manage to get and stay pregnant?!  I'm at least finding it relaxing so I guess that's good no matter what.

#2 of 4 Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. But I can commiserate with you. I'm also doing acupuncture, and I'm also doubtful of its efficacy. But, like you, I enjoy it, it relaxes me, so I think it's worth the $$, even if that's all it's doing. My acupuncturist has said that a few different things are a sign of my body changing from acupuncture. For example: night sweats out of nowhere, coldsores popping up like crazy, and a change in my menstrual cycle (a couple days of spotting before AF when I usually have almost none).

There's too many unknowns in this process. If it's making you feel better and it's not breaking you financially, I say go for it!

#3 of 4 Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 AM

Hi there,

I consider myself an acupuncture "success" story - I got pregnant with my 6.5 month old DS about 3 months after starting acupuncture. (My first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks followed by a D&C about 7 months before I conceived DS). The main thing I noticed that suggested to me it was working was that my luteal phase got longer each month until I was pregnant. (Which suggested to me that the acupuncture was preparing my body to better sustain a pregnancy.) Also, I started getting clear temperature shifts after ovulation, which I had not had for several months after the D&C. Other than that, I can't say I noticed that I "felt" anything different.

How often are you going in? I went pretty much weekly until I got pregnant, then I went about every 2 weeks throughout the pregnancy. My acupuncturist also practices traditional Chinese medicine, and she also had me take Chinese herbs. I don't remember the exact details, but I was taking one pill before my period and a different one when I was having my period. They may have helped as well.  

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#4 of 4 Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 AM

Oh, I should also mention that I did not have any specific diagnosis to explain why I didn't ovulate during the months after my D&C. I saw an OB, who suspected PCOS, so she sent me for a complete hormone panel and pelvic ultrasound. The ultrasound showed polycystic-appearing ovaries, but all my hormone levels were normal. The OB considered the hormone levels to be a better indicator of PCOS (she said a certain percentage of "normal" woman have polycystic appearing ovaries but they ovulate anyway), so she did not want to prescribe anything. That diagnosis (or lack thereof) was what led me to acupuncture.

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page