2 Qs re: pre-natal vitamins & hot yoga - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two quick questions:

1. What is your vitamin regiment? Do you take pre-natal vitamins?

I ask because I bought pre-natal vitamins when DH and I first started TTC. After I finished the whole 100 pack and still hadn't gotten PG, I was too downhearted to go in and buy another box. I'm glad I didn't because I would have gone through a lot of boxes by now! I did continue my folic acid tablets though. Is there anything else I should be taking?

2. Is bikram (aka hot) yoga bad for TTC?

I am doing an introductory 10-day course in it. My first day was yesterday. It was pretty hot, and it's a 90-minute class. I liked the benefits of the heat: increased circulation, clearing toxins from system, assistance in stretching. But if it isn't a good form of yoga for TTC, I'm thinking that after the 10 days is up, perhaps I'll try to find a regular or prenatal yoga class to attend instead.

Thanks!

T-lynn (25) married DH on 28/07/07 partners.gif DD Isla born 28/03/12 diaper.gif TTC #2

#2 of 4 Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 PM

I have taken pre-natal vitamins for years - basically they're a multivitamin with extra folic acid, which is the important thing for a growing fetus as it reduces the risk of spinal cord defects. So it's good that you've kept that up, but if you don't mind taking a multivitamin, why not buy a big jar and keep it up. I'm of the mind that multi-vitamins are good.

As to yoga - I don't know...but I think I would try a gentle hatha or yin class during the 2ww. I've come to realize that this is the time in my life to be gentle with my body and heart, not to challenge myself physically. But everyone is different - if you're really getting something valuable out of that class that you don't get out of a quieter practice, it might be best to continue. Listen to your heart.

xo - and babydust!!!

single mama, started TTC Jan 2009, 12 IUIs w/frozen sperm, 3 self-insem w/fresh sperm; IVF cycle March 2011 gave me my beautiful daughter who is now 2 yrs old!!! Trying to make her a baby sibling from my frosties, 2 natural cycle FETs=bfn, on a medicated FET cycle now.
#3 of 4 Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM

I take a prenatal multivitamin, basically a prenatal version of a regular multi-vitamin. I like that B vitamin and extra iron that's in my prenatal multi, then again mine is a special order from my Naturalpath so its really potent - Thorne Research is the name of the company, which has good info on its website http://www.thorne.com/. My ND gave me some info about taking vitamins that's important:

1. Tablets are ineffective since they don't break down enough so you can absorb the nutrients. Capsules are best.

2. Beware of vitamins with a lot of fillers listed. These are often listed as non-active ingredients. The over the counter prenatal I like is Rainbow Light Certified Organic Prenatal Multivitamin. I use this as a back up when I'm out of the Thorne.

Here's a list of fillers to watch out for:

Magnesium Stearate
Lactose
Starch (Corn)
Microcrystalline Cellulose
Silicon DioxideTitanium Dioxide
Stearic Acid
Sodium Starch Glycolate
Gelatin
Talc
Sucrose
Povidone
Pregelatinized Starch
Hydroxy Propyl Methylcellulose
OPA Products
Croscarmellose
Calcium phosphate
Hydroxy Propyl Cellulose
Ethylcellulose
Crospovidone
Shellac
Calcium Stearate

3. If all ingredients have a 100% Daily value listed but no actual mg or mcgs, then don't trust them. Since the industry is loosely regulated, you don't know how much or how little of the ingredients is actually in there.

I also take a prenatal DHA from Nordic Naturals. It helps with development of the brain, eyes, and nervous system. Also helps with my dyslexia a lot.

As for the hot yoga: I personally would refrain from hot yoga during the 2ww and pregnancy. An acquaintance who's a prenatal yoga instructor told me to avoid twists and side bends during pregnancy, not sure if that also applies to the 2ww.

Hope that helps!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#4 of 4 Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thank you both so much for the information! I'm glad I asked, because I was prepared to walk into the pharmacy and buy the first multivitamin I saw. Also, when I first started TTC the box of pre-natals that I bought were tablets not capsules, go figure! I'm definitely walking into the pharmacy armed with this information. smile.gif

I also have a gut feeling that the hot yoga is too much while TTC. After my trial period is over, I've found a place offering general yoga at a reasonable price so I'll sign up there.

Thanks again!

T-lynn (25) married DH on 28/07/07 partners.gif DD Isla born 28/03/12 diaper.gif TTC #2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page