Pros and Cons of hCG trigger? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

We are getting ready to start our first medicated cycle - letrezole (Femara) and dexamethasone (because of my PCOS). We are not going to do an IUI, just try the old-fashioned way, but our RE still wants us to do an hCG trigger shot. How common is it to do the hCG trigger if you are not doing IUI? Anyone done it one way or the other and want to share? Any websites with info?? Information appreciated!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and a (10/6/14)

PCOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Monkey Science,

I am awaiting the results of my third IUI but with everyone of them, I used clomid and had an hcg trigger. Personally, I liked the trigger, even though it was an added expense. It gives you a definitive idea of when you're going to ovulate and pretty much guarantees ovulation...I guess there are some women who show follicular growth but don't necessarily ovulate. The best part is that you can time when you should have BD. You can BD the day of the trigger shot and the day after, since you're not doing the IUI. You should probably BD the day after that. haha hope your DH can stand the strain! Just FYI, my DH and I usually BD the night before the trigger shot, took the night of the trigger shot off because we were doing an IUI, did the IUI the next morning and then BD the night of the IUI. (although poor DH was sick the last round so we didn't get the post IUI BD done so I'm not optimistic about this cycle, especially since I had a thin lining!)

I tried to look up websites but I didn't find any really reputable ones. I think if you search around the forums, however, you'll find some people's experiences. I am a fan because I just think it ups your chances of BDing at the right time!

GOOD LUCK!

Attempted induction at 38 weeks; ended up with a c-section.

In love with my baby boy Colin and baby girl Sienna!

love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page