clomid ladies - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 359 Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi beccabus - I was very concerned about multiples... in fact it was the only side effect of Clomid that really worried me. Which is why I started out taking a lower dose than my Dr recommended (I took 50mg instead of 100mg). However the 50mg dose didn't help AT ALL with my LP (in fact it made things worse) so now I'm up to 100mg. My fingers are crossed that it helps.

Vivica - I really hope you either get a BFP on Thursday or your LP is longer so that you can at least know that the Clomid is doing something good.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

#62 of 359 Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Vivica--Here's to hoping for a BFP or at least a longer LP!!  I can't remember, is this your first cycle of clomid?  My LP has been about 6 days...so I feel like clomid has a lot of work to do for me!

Sourire--Hoping the higher dose helps you too!  How long were your typical LPs?  I believe like most, I'm starting with 50mg and hopefully that will do the trick...but with a 6 day LP I feel like I have a ways to go..we'll see!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#63 of 359 Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabus View Post

Sourire--Hoping the higher dose helps you too!  How long were your typical LPs?  I believe like most, I'm starting with 50mg and hopefully that will do the trick...but with a 6 day LP I feel like I have a ways to go..we'll see!

Well I usually have about 6 days of LP with no bleeding at all, then 3 days of spotting, then 2 days of light red bleeding, then full blown AF. So depending on how you define CD1, my LP is either 6, 9 or 11 days... none of those are really great!

#64 of 359 Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

sourire, just wanted to stop in real quick and say im glad the 100 dose was better for you, because i just placed my prescription for it for next cycle. hope i dont need it!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#65 of 359 Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM

So my 100mg dose is still going great! Last month I had absolutely insane mood swings on the 2nd and 3rd day after I stopped the clomid. Today I am 3 days after the last pill and I feel FABULOUS! Yesterday I did ok too... I was a bit down but nowhere near how I felt last month.

So now I'm wondering... does that mean the clomid isn't working, if its not doing anything to me?

#66 of 359 Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 PM

Hi there, I'm new to this site. I went to the OB/GYN after 6 months of trying to conceive because I am 35. I ovulate regularly and have 23-24 day cycles (yep, always been short, but LP is normal, I just ovulate quickly after my period). The doc started me on 50 mg Clomid because it can "pump up" ovulation that's already occurring. I didn't have any noticeable side effects while taking it days 3-7, but at first thought it actually sped up ovulation because my BT was low during the days I took it, Then after I stopped taking it, BT went up to post-ov levels for three days, then slid gradually down again for three days, and then jumped WAY up (over a degree) and has stayed high since. Naturally I am hoping I actually did o early and am now over 14 days later, but maybe I actually o'ed during the days just after stopping Clomid (in which case I have another 5 or so days to wait to see if anything took). Everything I've read says your temp is high while ON Clomid, low after you stop.

#67 of 359 Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Hi Ladies, I've been reading this thread because I was curious how clomid impacted other women. I wanted to share my experiences. I took three cycles of clomid. I used to have cycles of about 40-50 days and some times, with short LPs. The first cycle of clomid, I was ready for my hcg shot by day 11. On the second cycle, I was ready by day 10. For both, I was taking 100mg. There's evidence that clomid actually stays in your system for a while so that may be what happened. Anyway, I suffered from few side effects (a little nauseous once in a while) and I actually had 3 follicles per cycle. The last cycle I did was pretty much the same although I was dropped to 50mg. Again, by day 10, I was ready for a trigger with 3 follicles. Here's the kicker. I had no CM at all, so I had to do IUIs for all three cycles. Additionally, and this was the biggest issue for me, my lining was really thin. The first cycle was about 3.5. The last 2 cycles were at around 5. I can't believe the RE still had me do IUIs but I guess some women do become pregnant even with thin lining. Needless to say, I did not.

I do have to say, however, that I just took 2 months off and while I didn't get pregnant, my cycles seem to have stabilized and I have about 30-32 day cycles. I don't know if it was the clomid. This month, I'm taking letrozole (femara) with a HCG trigger and an IUI. I had my sonogram and I only had one follicle. So I guess I respond better to clomid in terms of follicle growth! But at least my lining is apparently nice and healthy this time around. We'll see how everything goes!

Good luck, ladies!

Attempted induction at 38 weeks; ended up with a c-section.

In love with my baby boy Colin and baby girl Sienna!

love.gif

#68 of 359 Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Hey clomid ladies! I was hoping you might be able to help me decide what to do next cycle. I'm in my 6th cycle of trying now, and it looks like it'll be a long one. Last year I had 30-36 day cycles (no charting or tracking of any kind, though we did "pull the goalie"). This year I had a 42, a 30, another 33, a 28, a 36 I think, and this one, which I'm sure at this point will be 40+ (I'm CD26 and should have ovulated days ago). I've confirmed O once with temping and thrice with OPKs. 

I saw my OB today. We did a progesterone test today and she ordered CD3 tests, and offered to prescribe clomid.  Since I don't think I've O'd yet I expect the progesterone to be low, and I don't expect to get CD3 tests results back until after I'd have to start the clomid. I have an RE appointment 7/7. So if I tried a round of clomid this cycle I'd be in the middle of it at my first RE appointment. Aside from the normal clomid side effects, is there any downside to trying a low dose cycle? Should I hold off and be patient or just go for it? 

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#69 of 359 Old 06-18-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

sourire- i dont think it means its not working, i think it just means youv adjusted to it. ;)

renavoo-so crazy about so many follies! sorry your lining was so thin though and it didnt work for you. :( thanks for sharing your experiences, i always want to learn more!!!

rosieL-i would really sugest temping again. because every cycle can be differnt depending on different circumstances. opk's only ditect the hormones that tell the ovaries to psit the egg out, it cant tell you iv you actualy DID ovulate. many women here gear up to ovulate, get a pos opk...then never ovulate because something went wrong with the signals. the only way to know is by a temp shift after ovulation.  If your doc thinks clomid will help, id go for it. if you want to find out the root of the problem, and trat it from there then you shoudl wait, because it will change your hormone test results. good luck deciding!

afm- 12dpo...bfn, but no sign of AF.i ALWAYS start bleeding the night of 10dpo...so Im excited i may have a normal lp for the first time in a loooooooong time! thank you clomid!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif

#70 of 359 Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM

thanks for sharing renavoo!!!

RosieL - The main downside to taking clomid, even at a low dose, is the risk of multiples. I have a bunch of friends who had twins and let me tell you there are a lot more risks involved in pregnancy when you are having more than 1 baby. I did not envy my friends at all with all the complications they had.

vivica - I'm so excited about your longer LP!!! That is awesome! If you don't get your BFP this cycle, you almost certainly will within the next 3 cycles if you continue to have a longer LP.

#71 of 359 Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

CD1 irked.gif

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif

#72 of 359 Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Vivica - I'm sorry the witch found you. :( Thanks for your reply. I'm definitely temping, but I only started last cycle so I dont' have a lot of data. I was using only OPKs previously, but now both. FF gave me crosshairs this morning but I don't believe it. The OB was sure I hadn't ovulated on Friday, because I had a bit of fertile CM. I marked a positive OPK, but the OPK was never darker than the control line, it just got darker and then decreased. I never hold my water to do OPKs, maybe I should start. Sigh. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2e52aa

Sourire - I have a friend with twins. She had a labor scare at 26 weeks, bedrest from then til 38 weeks. She delivered at 38 weeks and almost lost one of her twins. It was terrifying and heartbreaking to watch her go through it. Do you have a good number for the percentage risks? I've ready 2%, 6%, and 10%, which are wildly different!!!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#73 of 359 Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 PM

RosieL - yeah one of my friends actually delivered at 26 weeks, both babies weighed about 1 lb when they were born. It's a miracle they survived! I don't have any reliable numbers for the increased chance of multiples because the numbers are different everywhere like you said. It also depends on how likely you were to have twins in the first place I think. The best number I have is on the package insert for the medication where it says you may be up to 10 times more likely to have twins... note that they say "up to" though... I think the chances increase with the dosage so if you start with the minimum dose (50mg) I'm sure its much less than 10x.

#74 of 359 Old 06-20-2011, 03:33 AM

Vivica, I'm sorry AF found you. However, at least your AF held off for an extra couple of days. Hopefully, next month, it'll be better and your cycle normalizes!

RosieL, I don't know if this is possible but would you be able to do mid cycle sonograms to see how a follicle progresses? Monitored cycles really help to let you know what is happening. I went in one month and had a sonogram done and was told that I had a follicle growing. My RE told me around when to expect ovulation and it happened thereabouts. It was bittersweet that I knew I was ovulating normally- happy because now I know that I do ovulate normally and sad because I still don't know why I'm infertile!! Maybe, for your next cycle, your RE can look at that and tell you what's happening with your ovary! It's one of my favorite things about medicated cycles...I love getting the sonograms because I feel like I know what is happening! As for OPKs, I find them impossible to use...how do you not drink water for 4 hours?! I have trouble not drinking for 1 hour! That's why I do it twice...morning and afternoon.

Welcome Marinlea! Your temping results are interesting. Are you being followed to see whether you have follicles growing? During my clomid cycles, I admit that I didn't actually temp before ovulation because I knew I was going to be followed and I also got an HCG trigger shot.

Sourire, how are you feeling? I hope you're still side effect free!!

love.gif

#75 of 359 Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 AM

renavoo - I still haven't really had any side effects except some pain in the area of my uterus/ovaries yesterday. However I normally ovulate around CD 17-19, and today is CD18 with no sign of O and negative OPKs. My OPKs started having a bit of colour on the weekend but it disappeared. No idea whats going on, but I don't like it.

#76 of 359 Old 06-20-2011, 10:13 AM

Sourire - How disappointing. Sounds like your OPK pattern this month is the same as mine every month. :-/ I've never seen a real positive. I assume you're taking them at the same time and same way as last month? I'm sorry it's so stressful. I think trying to figure out O with faint OPKs is more stressful than the TWW. At least with the TWW you know for sure you'll get an answer one way or another. Some people tell me the almost-positive IC OPK is positive, that the fade-in pattern matters most. Some say clearly "nope, that's negative." I don't yet understand the chemistry to be able to believe one or the other. I actually discussed all this with my DH over lunch, and he agrees that it's worth the extra month to do the digital CBE (the smiley face one) for a clearer result. We're not ready to make an investment in a monitor, since I assume we will actually get monitored by the RE soon enough. 

About clomid and twins - My DH says it's worth the risk to start with a lose dose this month, pending prog. test results. I'm still a little dubious, but I have to be honest the desire to take more steps toward a baby is so much stronger than prudence against the risk of twins. I've been in a similar situation - the desire to see clearly, without glasses, was so strong that I kind of argued myself out of worrying about the risks of LASIK. 

Renavoo - We have our first RE appointment 7/7. I would love to do a monitored cycle, but it'll depend on the cost. If it's very expensive we will probably try the clomid alone for a couple cycles. We have infertility coverage, but there's a $2,500 that I'm extremely conscious of. 

#77 of 359 Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 PM

Sourire - I have my progesterone results. I got the blood drawn on Friday, CD25. My progesterone was at 16.9, which is apparently quite good. The nurse said "You definitely ovulated" over the phone. 

Here's my OPKs: 

May Cycle.jpg

Based on this and prior cycles, I believe that I can count the IC OPKs as "positive" the day they peak in darkness. I'll ask the RE what can change LH levels. I'm encouraged to write down my list of questions to bring in for the initial consult, which they say will take 1-1.5 hours.

#78 of 359 Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Sorry Sourire, I take it back. Looks like it's still possible that I haven't ovulated. 

"From 5% to 30% of menstrual cycles in normally menstruat- ing women involve a luteinized unruptured follicle. Although ovulatory symptoms and elevated progesterone levels occur during these cycles, an oocyte is not released and fertilization is impossible. Thus, the predictive value of indirect measures of ovulatory status is limited."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CFsQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.acpmedicine.com%2Facp%2Fpdf%2Fmed1607.pdf&ei=RvT_Te6ZFIH40gHopoCpDg&usg=AFQjCNGKrUvXRI8gjgHlyt0TlFPKTIo-cw&sig2=fnYeDAqDwkJ9N73W18YSbw

This was a good link too: http://www.acpmedicine.com/bcdecker/newrxdx/rxdx/dxrx1607.htm

#79 of 359 Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Rosie - do you have any reason to believe you had one of these false ovulations? If your temps, CM and OPKs all point to you having ovulated on a specific date, I think the chances are pretty good that you did!

AFM - I've finally confirmed ovulation, yay! Now the waiting begins... though in my case I won't have to wait long, if the Clomid doesn't do its job I'll be bleeding within a week :P

#80 of 359 Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 AM

Rosie, I would have guessed that you ovulated on CD22 or CD23 because of the color of the OPK stick on CD21. To me, it looked like you missed the peak time to measure. I always have one OPK stick that looks like that and then the next one is positive. It starts to lighten the next day. Also, I know it's easy to be driven crazy by googling stuff and finding that there may be alternative reasons for what is happening, try not to stress. It may be that you have a luteinized unruptured follicle but it may be that you ovulated!! Our bodies are very complex so reading too deeply into it every month is bound to drive us all insane! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you ovulated. I know you're limited in terms of funds but when you see an RE, you may want to ask about getting a trigger shot. Trigger shots all but guarantee that you ovulate, if you have a ovum that is ready.

Sourire, any signs of O?? I hope you're getting close!

love.gif

#81 of 359 Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renavoo View Post

Sourire, any signs of O?? I hope you're getting close!

Yes my temperature rose this morning so I definitely O'ed! I'm thinking I probably O'ed on Sunday and then just had a delayed temp rise because I felt ovulation pain on Sunday.

#82 of 359 Old 06-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Sourire - I have no reason to suspect LUF aside from my suspicion that *something* is wrong. But it was a shocker to see that 5-30% of normal-looking cycles can be LUF cycles (I did some more PubMed searching and confirmed those stats). LUF is correlated with endometriosis, so if you have endo, you have a higher chance of LUF. The only way to diagnose LUF is a lap or a series of ultrasounds closely monitoring the follicles. Most of use probably do NOT have this LUF, even us "subfertile" folks. Anyway, I'm glad you confirmed O, and here's to a LOOOOOOOONG wait for AF. Like, many months long! ;)

Oh another note: I just looked back and confirmed that each time I marked O pain on my chart, FF gave me crosshairs for the next day. It's pretty cool, actually. Each month I thought "no, this can't be O", but I marked down what I felt and voila, it's confirmed a few days later after seeing a temp pattern and/or OPKs. Neat!

renavoo - I have used OPKs for three cycles now, and I've never seen a positive. I've also never held my urine or fluid intake, so maybe that's my problem. I'm undecided on whether to order ICs and do FMU plus afternoon each day, or just go with the CBE Digital. I'm leaning toward the latter, but that could miss it too! I'm glad to be temping, and who knows maybe the RE will monitor me next cycle.

I think I'll wait on Clomid. Since I seem to have ovulated, there's no reason (yet) to think I have a problem that clomid would solve. If there was no risk to twins I'd say why not, but that risk is real and at the forfront of my brain! I do want an HSG though.

#83 of 359 Old 06-21-2011, 10:04 PM

The doctor called and I definitely ovulated based on my day 21 progesterone on the 50 mg clomid. This didn't surprise me as I normally ovulate with a reliable temperature shift when not on clomid (the doctor told me that even if you ovulate normally, clomid can give you "a better ovulation" and still boost chances of getting pregnant).

Anyway, it looks like the clomid delayed when I normally ovulate (usually around day 9-10. I have a 23-24 day cycle). I got all excited when AF didn't show up when she normally does, but having watched my temps (down on clomid, then up when off for a few days, then down for three and then back up), I thought it possible I had ov'ed later. Sadly, AF showed up day 27. I must have ov'ed during the second period of low temps. I can't believe I actually found something that managed to lengthen my cycle because I was always always always 23-24 days or even less occasionally. So starting second round of clomid tomorrow (day 3) and getting an HSG this Monday.

#84 of 359 Old 06-22-2011, 03:15 AM

Marinlea, did you get a temp shift this month? How was your luteal phase? Did you see any benefits of clomid for your luteal phase? My previous RE also noted that clomid could help even those who ovulate normally but who have a short luteal phase. She said that these people may experience longer LPs. I had a combination of both- extended cycles and sometimes, short LPs. It was so frustrating! After clomid, my cycles normalized. I was ready to be triggered around day 12 and I had a 16 day LP (Although that could be because I was getting progesterone. We'll see because I'm on a letrozole cycle this month with no progesterone supplementation!) Are you being monitored? I was ultra responsive to clomid so I ended up have really thin uterine lining all three months on clomid. It was so annoying that my RE at that time didn't do anything to help supplement the lining. Explains why she is my previous RE!

Good luck on your HSG!!

Rosie, I definitely think that getting an HSG will help relieve your mind. My previous RE didn't refer me on for an HSG and I kept wondering if I had a clogged fallopian tube, which would have prevented me from getting pregnant. I just had an HSG a couple of weeks ago and although it was normal, like everything else has been, it really does relieve my mind.

love.gif

#85 of 359 Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 AM

renavoo - I'm going to do the HSG as soon as AF comes this month. I have a friend who lied about how long she had been trying and went in for an HSG at 3 months. Her fallopian tubes were apparently 100% blocked, and they sent her straight to IVF. Crazy! 

My mind is bouncing back and forth. Marinlea's post makes me think "Well maybe I *should* try clomid, since I'm spotting through the middle of my LP..."

#86 of 359 Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Hey! I'm new to the thread but glad I finally found a group of ladies going through the experience.  I've been ttc for over 3 years.  I've gone through all the tests and every thing is in perfect working order. (A relief, but frustrating!)  I started my first round of clomid +IUI this month and, honestly, I'm freaking out!  I took my last 50mg of clomid today and I think I am experiencing every single one of the side effects at once.  I'm miserable!  I go in next week to check the follicles and I'm nervous and excited.  

As for the HSG, I agree with the other ladies.  You might as well get it done and check it off the list, that way if there is something blocking the tubes you can get it taken care of ASAP and continue ttc! 

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you!

#87 of 359 Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 AM

airforcegirl - welcome! I had a really crazy experience my first month of clomid too! I don't want to discourage you, but I had even worse side effects in the week after I finished taking the 5 clomid doses... I had insane mood swings. The good news is that now I'm on my 2nd month of Clomid, at a higher dose, and I have almost NO side effects so there is hope :)

#88 of 359 Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 PM

Mood swings -awesome! At least, I have something to look forward to in the next couple of days.  Was there a reason for the raise in your dosage?  I'm just wondering which is more effective, the 50 or 100mg?  Are you also doing the IUI?

#89 of 359 Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM

Well my doctor initially prescribed me 100mg, but I thought that was stupid so the first month I only took 50mg. When the 50mg dosage didn't help my LP length at all, I decided to listen to my doctor the following month and take the dose he recommended. I am not doing IUI though.

#90 of 359 Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 PM

It was odd, I had pre-ov temps while on clomid (everyone here says their temps were higher on clomid), then right after going off clomid, I had three days of post-ov temp, so I thought ok, maybe I ov'ed while on the clomid. But then after the three days of post-ov temp, I dropped again to pre-ov three days, and then finally a big (over a degree) jump up to the end of my cycle. My LP is generally ok (12-14 days) even off clomid. I'm not being monitored for uterine lining thickness yet as I've only been on clomid one cycle (and started my second yesterday). I had an extremely low (like almost undetectable) anti-Mullerian hormone reading that was repeated with the same results, but a normal FSH. The doctor was pretty surprised at this, as was I, since AMH is a measure of ovarian reserve (really low=low reserve whereas high can =PCOS). I figured I would have had a much more irregular cycle, but as it was, I was ovulating with a regular temp shift pretty much every 23-24 days. I'm nervous about the HSG because ten or so years ago, my appendix ruptured and I had to have abdominal surgery. Not like I had a choice, but abdominal surgery like that can result in scar tissue that affects the fallopian tubes. Nothing to do, but have the HSG and hope!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page