New Here - Possible Leutal Phase Defect? - advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies,

I need some words of wisdom. Here's my story, as brief as I can make it. DH and I have been ttc #2 for over 1.5 years with 3 losses (1st at 11 weeks, 2nd at 5 weeks, 3rd at 6 weeks).

I temp and chart. I have a LP of 11-12 days. I am still BFing dd (twice a day).

I've taken B complex (50mg of B6 and 50 mg or B12) for a about 3 months. This served, IMO, to shorted my follicular phase, which was about 3 weeks long (I was Oing on day 23 before the B), but did nothing for my LP length. I regularly and predictably O.

I just saw an OB last week for a fertility consultation. She had nothing to offer me, no tests to recommend, nothing to say except to "roll the dice." She said the the recent 2 early losses "don't count" so to speak when looking at fertility problems, she's only concerned after multiple losses after heart beat is detected.

I mentioned my own research into the possibility of LPD and she said there not really scientific research showing that's a real cause, or something.

I basically talked her into giving me a prescription for prometrium, (progesterone vag. suppository) she said it's not harmful but she doesn't see the benefit.

I just did a little research on it and found out I can't take it b/c I have a peanut allergy and it contains peanut oil.

Where do I go from here?

Is an 11-12 day LP a LPD?

Should I go back to her and try to get an alternative?

Progesterone cream OTC? (done without a dr's advice)

Push for testing?

Wean? (DD is still really attached)

Keep taking B complex? Stop?

Consult with a naturopath (I have no $)?

Keep trying with fingers crossed (scared to try with so many losses)?

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! [head explodes]

loving mommy to DD (3/08), brokenheart.gif our little strawberry (7/10). brokenheart.gif little seedling (10/10). brokenheart.gif little pear (4/11). Praying for a Rainbow - due Nov!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***rainbow1284.gif**

#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wow, I'd say find another doctor.  It sounds like she wasn't very receptive to your concerns, and she prescribed a medication that would have caused an allergic reaction had you not done your research.

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM

I'm sorry for your losses and I am sorry for your frustration! I too would find another doctor. You need to have them test your progesterone levels 7 days after ovulation. If you do indeed have low progesterone, you can remedy it either by taking prometrium (which you cannot do bc of your allergy) or by taking clomid. Low progesterone is a sign of weak ovulation. By taking clomid in the first part of your cycle, you strengthen the entire cycle. Many doctors would argue that taking clomid is much more effective than taking prometrium anyway. And you won't end up having to take a suppository 2x/day for 3 months. As for the OTC cream, it won't make much of an impact if you truly are defficient. Also, I do know you can take clomid while nursing. My doc was willing to give it to me. I didn't end up trying it until after I weaned but I do have friends who took it while nursing. One chose to pump and dump for those 5 days and the other did not.  

As for luteal phase length - yours could be normal. But mine got up to 12 days even though I had super low progesterone numbers. Also B vitamins made no difference for me.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 09:31 PM

I agree to finding another doctor who will address your concerns and not prescribe something you're allergic to.  I have a 11-12 day LP as well and I don't believe it would be considered a LPD, maybe less than 10 days would be a problem.  Since you are getting pregnant though I would assume your LP is fine.  I think with LPD the egg doesn't have enough time to implant and start HCG production therefore gets flushed out when AF arrives, I'm no expert though so maybe someone else can ring in.  As for B6 maybe up your dose to 100mg, thats what I take and it upped my LP by a day for a couple months and then it dropped back to 11-12.  I would definately find another doctor and maybe push for some tests for recurrent losses.  Good luck to you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page