Anyone have progesterone deficiency and a 13 or 14 day luteal phase? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The new doctor I saw recently wants me to do a day 21 progesterone test. She didn't seem to know too much about charting. (Sigh.) I usually have a 13-14 day luteal phase. Sometimes I've had 12, sometimes I've had 15. My understanding is that a luteal phase of less than 11 days can indicate a progesterone deficiency. Is it possible to have a progesterone deficiency with a longer luteal phases?

Also, the other doctors I've seen seemed to think my miscarriages are chromosomal issues, probably due to my age (they happened from age 40-44). In 2 cases there was a normal sized sac and a tiny fetus. In one case both the sac and fetus measured to small. I've also had a few chemical pregnancies. This doctor seemed to question that.

Thanks for any insight.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#2 of 7 Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 AM

I am not an expert (nor do I have any experience) with PCOS, but from what I have read from other women here, perhaps that is what she is looking for?  I think PCOS women have less progesterone (not sure what their LP is) and I think it can also cause miscarriages.

It can be so annoying when doctors don't understand/ignore the "basics".  My first OB totally blew off my chart and it really bothered me, because I saw some "weird" things in my cycles that she didn't.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get some other good responses :)

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#3 of 7 Old 05-28-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the idea BellyBean. I don't think that is it because I have had many ultrasounds and I always hear, "Your ovaries look great." I've wondered why they looked and I'm guessing now that is why. I appreciate you posting. I hope you got someone who would look into those weird things in your chart.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#4 of 7 Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I've been told the same thing (ovaries and such are in great shape), and suspect I have low progesterone as well. My suspicions stem from super heavy AF, extreme cramps, and a few other symptoms that aren't the "common" short LP. My LP is also about 14-15 days on average, though I sometimes have shorter ones, but none are ever shorter than 12 days.

I will be seeing my GYN and hopefully a RE here soon, so I'll update if I find anything out. smile.gif

I would bring everything you have (chart info and such) and explain if it were me. Doctors aren't really taught anything other than "medicine" in their training, so unless they've researched on their own, most are clueless. irked.gif

Hope you figure out what's going on soon!

, birth-working wife to   (06/2010).
TTC #1 since 2010. Dx PCOS, July 2014. Currently in testing.
, July 2012. Waiting for our  sometime very soon.
#5 of 7 Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 PM

I had consistently 12 day long luteal phases and my progesterone test was on the low side of normal (not dramatically low)- but I couldn't conceive for 2 years- finally ended up taking clomid and conceiving that cycle.  I think my progesterone just wasn't adequate, it was "in the range" of OK, so I had to argue with my doctor that I felt it was a problem, but my luteal phase was never less than 11 days, just not the desired 14.  BTW- clomid can also help you make a better egg, so it may be an option worth trying.  I was scared to death of it, but didn't have any bad side effects and it was SO worth it.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#6 of 7 Old 06-17-2011, 10:01 PM

My luteal phase was up to 12 days but my progesterone was still below 5! So yes, you can be ovulating and have what appears to be a pretty normal cycle chart wise, but your hormones could still be off. My luteal phase does bounce around though and can be as short as 10 days. Can't hurt to do the test. If nothing else it will put your mind at ease. Or it will find something that you can hopefully correct.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#7 of 7 Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yes, my luteal phase is 13 and my progesterone is low.  My OB does serial progesterone measurements (not just a day 21 test) that are based on when you ovulate. So he tested mine 3dpo, 5dpo, 7dpo, 9dpo, and 11dpo.  The 7dpo is the one that corresponds the closest to the day 21 test and that one was actually normal (on the low end, but normal) but the other ones were up and down.  So my progesterone isn't stable and my overall amount of progesterone during the luteal phase is too low. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page