Remove the polyp or leave it alone? Need Some Encouragement :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone...I've been avoiding any pregnancy related site like the plague for the last few months because it mostly puts me in a deep funk, but I need some opnions and words of encouragement before I go off the deep end here....

We're on month 19 of TTC and we've done all the testing. I'm fine, but DH has low motility AND low morphology so they are suggesting surgery for him to fix the veriscocity that is likely causing our problem. Then post-surgery we will first try insemination followed by IVF if the insemination doesn't work. On top of that, when I had the "dye" test done to check my tubes, they found a small polyp and, of crouse, being knife happy they want ME to have surgery to get that out, too. All said and done, we're looking at losing another 3 months AT LEAST (since my surgery invovles a D&C and who knows when AF will return afterward...). I just cannot bear the thought of electing to lose that much time with the position we're already in.

Is it really necessary to get this polyp out? I grilled the doctor, asking her if it's completely necessary to do this surgery. She offered the scenario that if/when I finally get pregnant and the embryo implants on the polyp, I'll have all sorts of complications. And she said "let's put it this way...the polyp isn't doing you any good."

What are the chances of the implantation occurring on this .5cm polyp? Has anyone had a successful pregnancy with a polyp? I wouldn't even know this thing was there if not for the dye test...

Thanks.

DW married to DH expecting first baby in April 2012!

#2 of 2 Old 09-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Amo - I know you posted this awhile back, but I thought I'd send you a message.  I too recently had a polyp (well they thought I had a polyp).  The research I did seemed to indicate the size of the polyp should be the determining factor as to whether or not to have it removed.  Do a search about polyps and IVF outcomes and it should give some info to help you make a decision.

In my case the polyp appeared to be quite large, but when we did the surgery it was not there.  However, they found several things that needed to be addressed like a blocked tube.  If you think you may have endo or something else that needs to be addressed you could use the surgery for the polyp to address those issues.

It seems there are never any easy answers...Hope things work out for you!

Me & DH, DS 12/07superhero.gif, DD 10/12 luxlove.gif  and puppy love dog2.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page