Fall IVF Thread: Let's hear it for the BFPs! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

#481 of 965 Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

silver, isn't sperm shopping an interesting experience?  what company are you looking at? 

welcome praying!  everyone is welcome, and i'm glad you chose to join us.  i know that i have found a lot of comfort from these ladies, and i think we all have really varied experiences so you get a lot of great advice.  i didn't initially get an option, we went straight to ivf, so i may not have the best advice for you... but i know there are other women here who have done the IUI route and may know better.  

afm, making veggie stew and and watching the walking dead with dh.  i need to compile my list of questions for my RE tomorrow but i'm avoiding it because i'm scared it will make me depressed.  any advice about what to ask?  my plan so far is to ask about trying IUI with donor sperm, the immunity testing, and also to see if PCOS could be a factor or if i'm looking too deeply into nothing.  

Making babies! Twins due June 10, 2013.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 965 Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Aura...Thanks so much for the welcome.  I really appreciate it.  Sounds like you are having a nice night at home with DH.  I love halloween!  Can I ask why you may not be able to do IUI?  I am sure I read it somewhere, but I am still working on keeping everone's stories straight...sorry.  Best of luck at the RE's.  All I can say is ask any question that you have!  You are paying a lot of money, I am sure, for the doctors time and expertise.  Use your time to get the answers that you need.  Any MD worth a hoot will take the time to discuss your concerns.  I am in the healthcare field and work with many doctors all day.  The best ones, the ones that care, will always take time out to talk to their patients/and or their families.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kewpie and Keria:  Wow!  Twins!!!  congratulations!  I would be thrilled and terrified all at the same time.  How are you feeling?

Happy thoughts to all of you!

Finally...pos.gif!  Can't wait to meet the new member of our family.joy.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32*heartbeat.gif*36***40

#483 of 965 Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Prayinghard, welcome!  This is a wonderful place to share experiences, everyone on here is really supportive, encouraging, and a lot of good questions and answers being discussed.  I feel blessed to have found it! 

We definitely have some similarities, in that DH and I conceived our son through Clomid/IUI #2, which would have been November 2009.  I did my HPT on my 40th birthday, and it was such a wonderful gift to get that bfp then!  He was born August 2010, so our little guys are very close in age.  We tried another round of 3 Clomid/IUIs recently (June, July, August), and when that didn't work out our plan was to go to IVF.  We could have gone the injectibles plus IUI route, but there was a much better chance and more 'control' of the cycle with IVF.  So yeah, I was just short of completing my suppression, when I didn't get AF and I did an HPT and we couldn't believe the results.  It's like a miracle!  Anyway, when it comes to decision-making, when we were faced with it we decided that we couldn't spare any more time with IUI, because it was not that great of a chance it would work (I had read somewhere that after 40, it really dips... especially when it comes to the Unexplained Infertility diagnosis).  The RE explained to us that because of my age, there was a good chance that even if fertilization occured, it wouldn't implant or it would arrest shortly after.  And with IVF, they would have the opportunity to get a bunch of embies, and then pick the best looking ones to transfer, giving us a bit of an edge at least when it came to that aspect.  What really sealed it for us was when she said something like, '1 IVF would be the equivalent to 13 tries with IUI' in our situation-- I can't for the life of me explain it now, but it totally made sense when she explained it to us. We also looked at the fact that if fresh transfer didn't work, then we would hopefully have embies to use for FET... even if it was quite a ways down the road, the good thing would be that the embies would be from my eggs that would have been months 'younger', as opposed to doing it later when they would older-- I was panicky that with every month passing by, it was just going to get harder.  This is backed up, too, by the stats given to us at our clinic-- IVF in women 42 and older, using their own eggs, has very low success rate.  I was worried about the stress on my body, but then, once I came on here, many of the women said it wasn't as bad as they thought it was going to be.  That made me feel much, much better-- I, too, am very sensitive to meds usually.  (And actually, the suppression drug I was on didn't bother me too much at all... and I'm on vaginal progesterone and oral estrogen right now, and I feel just fine.)  As for having a young child and going through the process, I just thought that we would have more regrets if we didn't try for another one-- so we were just going to make it work no matter what.  We weren't telling anybody, just my acupuncturist, and so my support was from her, and the ladies on this thread.  However, since I didn't finish the IVF to its entirety, I don't think that qualifies me to fully offer an opinion o the whole thing, but perhaps there are a few nuggets in there that might be helpful... I know the idea of the 2ww post transfer was something I was worried about handling well, but I figured that with the ladies on here, I could get through it.  I guess maybe the first step for you would be to find out if IVF is an option for you with regards to your IF issues, and if it is, what sense of urgency there is based on that.  And then once you are armed with the facts, maybe then you can tackle the other facets.  (It helped us, too, to find out in advance what my DH's drug plan would cover in terms of the cost of the meds, and then once we knew that it made the out-of-pocket expenses for the procedure seem more manageable and we could see how long it would take to pay down the line of credit we had to get... which really took a lot of the stress out, because we could see an end point to it.)

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)
#484 of 965 Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM

aura, I'm sorry I don't have anything much to come up with for possible questions... I think what you have so far is really good.  Was IVF#2 a different protocol than IVF#1?  Maybe it doesn't matter because up the to point of maturity/fertilization, you had good response?  I think the immunity thing is a really good one to ask about, for sure.  I hope the other ladies on here check in between now and when you need to go to the RE, so you can get some ideas...

#485 of 965 Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

prayinghard - Welcome!  I had to go straight to IVF after we discovered my husband had such awful sperm.  We had thought it was just me for years, so I have no advice about whether to go IUI or IVF, but I hope you will find the perfect treatment for you.  

yup, twins.  I can't speak for Keria, but for us, we always knew it was a possibility, but seeing them on the screen makes it SO real and it was frightening for a few weeks when reality set in, but we've gotten used to the idea and now we can't wait till it's time to meet them.

aura - No real advice on questions, but if you DO have PCOS, a lot of REs will use a different protocol than with a non PCOS person.  I've found out that's why mine was so different than everyone else's.  So, I think it's definitely worth asking about.  I'm trying to remember back to when I was diagnosed... The first time, they did some hormone panels and checked my ovaries with u/s.  The second time, they did another hormone panel, and gave me a glucose tolerance test and checked my A1C level.  They also gave me a physical to find the symptoms on my body... extra hair, darkened skin under arms and in groin, thickened skin on back of neck and that sort of stuff.  The list of symptoms is extremely long and you don't have to have all of them to have the disorder.  I don't have the facial hair or darkened body hair that a lot of PCOS women get, for example.

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1
11 weeks
IVF #2
Liam and
Maisie (now 3 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Aedric and Harold 1/13/15
#486 of 965 Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM

Hey all!!  Don't have time to write now, but hopefully tomorrow after my U/S & bw I will have time to get all caught up w/ personals.  We got here safe and sound and finally the little girlie has quieted down. So sad to hear her crying b/c she wants to sleep with me, but I tried to stand my ground and not give in (yet).  I sleep so much better and won't have to worry about her getting into anything if she sleeps in her crate and not in my bed.  We will see.  She was a champ in the car today.  Slept the first hr and then played the 2nd hr and then i stopped for gas and let her out to go potty and then gave her a chewy and put her back in the back of the suv and she didn't make a peep or even really move around much for the next couple of hrs till we got here.  I think the car makes her sleepy like it does some little ones.  I was so proud of what a good rider she was.  We have had 2 walks already tonight and tomorrow before my 9:45am u/s i'll take her for another one, then it is off to the dog park in the afternoon.  So excited about that.  Okay, need to go to sleep b/c i think someone may wake me up earlier than i really want to. Such good training for a little one, one day I hope. Night all, and I promise to catch up with everyone tomorrow... things are jumping around here (mdc).  Yeah!!!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#487 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies!! I'm sorry I didn't check in yesterday. It has been massively busy at work. argh, don't they know i'm supposed to be obsessing about my 2ww? haha

Aura, I'm so happy you had a great time. Mmmmm lychee shoju slushies sound amazing!! yuuuuum. hahah I used to have such high tolerance for alcohol (I used to drink scotch and lots of it!) but since TTC and cutting down my alcohol to pretty much nil (one or two drinks only when i'm definitely out), I get tipsy after one drink!! DH says I'm a cheap date. haha. But I fondly remember those times when we would go out and enjoy a night painting the town red!! by the way, my mouth waters every time I read your description of the food. mmmmmmm

Questions are always so tough...it's so difficult to know what to ask! Would you consider asking about donor eggs too, if the doctor feels like it's also an issue with the egg? For the iUI, are you considering a medicated cycle? If so, perhaps you can ask about the different chances with the different meds. I feel like Clomid was definitely stronger for me but with lining issues. However, maybe taking estrogen will counteract any possible issues you have? Femara is supposed to cut down on multiples but was weaker, in my experience. Of course, you can also use the injectibles! But perhaps, there is one regimen that would be best for you, considering your history! I definitely wouldn't leave without getting some probabilities though...have her map it out...if you do another IVF, what are your chances and what is she going to do differently? If you do IUI, what are your chances and what is she going to do? Or if you do anything else she suggests, what are your chances? I'm sure you've done all the tests under the sun, already, but maybe ask her if there are any other tests that may give you an idea of what is happening?

Blue, YAH for getting there safely and for Abby being a good traveler! I bet it was a lot of fun to have her as your "back seat driver!" It's amazing how great she is!! Did she stick her head out the window? I love it when they do that because they just look so ecstatic! I can't wait to hear about your bw and US this morning!! They will tell you the results today, right? I hope that you see a lot of follies, ready to give you some beautiful eggs! It's coming! i'm so excited for you!

Tenzin, how are you feeling?? Any effects of early pregnancy? I'm so excited for you to get the US :o) And to stop the prometrium. haha it'll be nice when it finally feels like you're drug free, won't it! I think you're so wonderful for still trying to provide support to your friend and I hope she responded in some way to thank you for your support. If not, then it really is her loss!! It's sad that such a happy occasion such as your pregnancy would lead her to act so poorly but we're happy to be here for you!!!

Kewpie, Are you feeling better today? Sorry that you have a cold. sniff. and on DH's birthday too. (but how sweet to offer to make it up to him and what a wonderful gift- we get my MIL a subscription to a wine club. those things are ultra fun because the person gets a present every month!) I can't believe that the babies are 1.5 pounds already!! I don't know why I feel like when you can start describing them as weighing "pounds" that it feels like they are almost ready to come out into the world!! I hope that you are steadily feeling better!

Silver, good luck with the sperm search! Do you have an idea of what characteristics you want to look for? I think it's cool that you get to choose against so many characteristics but i'm sure that it's also a little daunting. How are you feeling about it? We're definitely all here for you so please talk it out with us, if you ever feel the need to!

Belly, what is next for you? when is your next US? When do you start the progesterone? you're taking PIO right? Just a couple of more weeks! i bet you'll feel even more impatient when you start the PIO because then it'll really feel like it's just around the corner!! Even now, it kind of is!! It's so exciting! So you're really almost exactly 2 weeks from me :o) Hopefully, both you and me get some good news the next month... :o)

Prayinghard, WELCOME!! We're so happy to have you here. First, would you like for me to put a blurb about you on the front page of the thread? It's kind of the welcome page to anyone else thinking of joining us! If so, what would you like for me to write?

As for your question, boy that's a difficult one! i think the choice is definitely an individual one. I will tell you that i had 4 medicated IUIs and the doctors basically said that my chances of getting pregnant on IUIs go down once I have that many- mostly because they just don't think i'm responsive (I have unexplained infertility). Personally, I wasn't sure because i took clomid for the first three and my lining was decimated...I rarely got up to a lining of more than 5mm. So even if I did get a fertilized egg, i doubt the embie would have implanted. but DH and i decided that we wanted to have a better chance anyway so we decided to go on to ivf. the questions we asked ourselves were...first (and most importantly), do we have the money. It's an expensive process- the procedure plus the meds are crazy expensive and if you have to do it more than once...UGH! We actually decided to go to a clinic where there is a shared risk plan...we get 6 cycles in order to get a live baby. If we don't get a live baby after that, they refund 100% of our money. The clinic is in Maryland, though, and we live in NYC so getting there is rather a pain. DH and i have decided to quit this plan if we don't get pregnant after this to go to a clinic in NYC. The other question I had is the effect of the drugs on my system. but I got over that concern really quickly because i was impatient to have a little baby. And finally, the third question we had is how our family would take it. I still haven't told my side of the family. They just wouldn't understand. DH's family all knows and they are very supportive. Many of my and DH's close friends know but sometimes it gets a little difficult when they ask how things are going. It's wonderful to be able to be a part of this forum with these wonderful ladies. I truly couldn't have gotten where I am (with sanity in tact) without these ladies. So I hope that you have the same experience too!!

And another great part is that we still have graduates visiting us, both those who are still pregnant and those who have had their babies yet but still share their strength with us. the experiences and support are so invaluable! (So thank you so much to you ladies as well!!)

Ok, now that I've written a Tolkien-esque novel, I'm going to sign off with a quick overview of me. Generally, doing fine. Busy with work so my mind isn't on the 2ww as much. I was a little concerned yesterday because I'm used to walking fast and running up and down stairs in my office and I did that yesterday when i wasn't "thinking"- my mind goes on autopilot sometimes when it's busy! Otherwise, had some bad cramps last night and my breasts are really sensitive, especially the left on, oddly enough. The left one actually looks a little chafed, which is odd. I also think it's odd that the breasts really started getting worse just a couple of days ago. But maybe my body is just reacting to the multiple days of estrogen and progesterone. Who knows. I will definitely be testing on Sunday so I will let you ladies know what it says :o)

Big hugs everyone!!! Check in later today!

Attempted induction at 38 weeks; ended up with a c-section.

In love with my baby boy Colin and baby girl Sienna!

love.gif

#488 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
rcr

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Boy,  you ladies have been busy over the weekend. I had planned on going back a few pages to catch up, especially since there are some new ladies here, and I saw some people mention Silver (hi to the new ladies, and Hi to Silver), but I just went back three pages and still have not gotten to where I left off.

So, just a few personals and an AFM before I start work. I went out of town this weekend, and I was so afraid that AF would start because I have been feeling crampy. I called the RE before I left and I asked her if I could have a script for BCP just in case AF started, and she said that if I couldn't get in for Baselines on CD 1-4 I would have to wait until the next cycle. But luckily AF is not here yet, so I should be fine. I think she will be here by the end of the week. I am excited to get started (doing IVF again).

Blue - glad to hear that you had a good trip. Our new foster dog is driving me nuts. He keeps peeing in the house, and I want to crate train him but he is really big and our crate is not big enough for him, and a new one for his size costs over $100, and I don't really want to spend that much on a foster dog that could just leave us as soon as an owner is found.  I babygate him in the kitchen, which contains the messes, but I do get sick of cleaning up pee every morning. today I left him outside with my dog since it is a nice day, but we can't do that every day.

Prayinghard - welcome. Our choice was a little different because we have fertility insurance covereage, which really changes the decision-making process. We started with IVF before ever going to IUI, and then when it didn't work we tied 6 IUIs with injectibles, and none of them worked so now we are going back to IVF. OUR RE thought that maybe IUI would actually work better than IVF because eggs that are low quality don't like the lab environment as much as the natural environment.

Silver - I am so glad to see you again. I think of you often. I am not around here nearly as much as I used to be, so I am going to have to go back and find your post. I assume from the responses that you are looking for doner sperm? I hope you are doing well.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#489 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 AM

rcr - sorry to hear about the foster dog and all the issues.  Wonder if you could find a crate on Craigs list or ebay that would be cheaper.  We actually barrowed an extra crate from my MIL/FIL so we could have one up and one downstairs which helps.  I really think crate training works and they don't normally go to the bathroom in there.  Abby loves her crate mostly but i think bc she is in a new house it is just a little to much to be so far away from her mama.  Are you still waiting for AF to show up? Hope everything else is going well.  When do you leave DS with DH, is it soon?

Renavoo - Those symptoms sound great!!!  I know, I know you never know with progesterone but still.  I think i remember Bungalowmama having some weird chafing on her breast too or something like that when she just got prego with IVF.  Sounds promising to me.  Nope, Abby didn't get to stick her head out.  She has the run of the back of my suv so those windows don't open back there.  I also had her on a leash so she couldn't come forward just had the whole back end.  I had so much stuff i had to put the middle row of seats down.  I'm sure she would love to hang her head out but i have heard in the past that it isn't good for their ears.  Who knows if that is true or not.  Keep us posted and can't wait until you test.

Tenzi - hope you are feeling well.  I think I'm may make your recipe for the aunt and i to eat while I'm up here.  Hope it turns out well.

Kewpie - sorry to hear about the cold.  Yuck.  Hope it gets better soon.

Prayinghard - Welcome!!!  I know our RE told us to do 3 IUI's and then head to IVF.  I just didn't want to spend any more time or money of the IUI's and figured we'd go to the big guns.  It is a hard decision and the fact that it is so much more expensive doesn't help.  Hope you can get some answers and figure it all out.  Maybe talking to your RE about what his thoughts are would be good too.

Aura - When is your appt again?  I think those question you had were good ones... and for sure figure out what his thoughts are on IUI instead of IVF.  Who knows.

Silver - bummer... i was hoping it all worked out for you.  Always thinking of you and sending hugs.  I'm glad you are getting the ball rolling though, that has to be a bright spot for sure.

AFM - getting ready to go outside to help the aunt w/ her flowers and then to the dog park we will go. Waiting for the u/s and bw report this afternoon.  All went well and it is still pretty early so i'm not really sure how many i had, not a ton.  We were talking so i was not really paying attention like i should have been.  Next u/s on Friday morning.  More later.

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

#490 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

rcr - if you were closer, I could lend you a crate! Ah, the drawback of the internet... We have the opposite problem, our foster dog is tiny and the only crate I have is huge! Mind you we are spoiling him and letting him sleep at the foot of our bed - I don't really trust him not to pee in the house if he's left unattended, although he's only had one accident I don't think he's really very house trained. We are walking him every couple of hours!

This is Pashi: http://www.abetterlifedogrescue.com/?p=3344

I am still just taking BCP, I start Lupron this Saturday. Keeping busy so I'm not obsessing so much - I have accounting class twice a week and hula hooping class Monday nights so that helps. 

My oldest friend was in town this past week and she is pregnant... she found out while she was here. I am excited and happy for her, but she said "Oh and I had a dream that you were super pregnant and you told me it happened as soon as you stopped trying." Um, ya. You can keep that one to yourself dear. I'm kind of irritated by people who think I'm going to get pregnant by magic... like as if I'm putting myself through all these freaking fertility treatments for FUN? 

Everybody - I am reading, but not feeling up to personals. I am trying to keep the IVF stuff more on the backburner in my head right now, I don't want to think too much about protocols and injections and ultrasounds and all that. 

Twin Boys born August 16, 2014

#491 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Laggie, hope your classes keep you busy!  Glad to hear you are getting ready to start Lupron.  Although I completely trust my new RE, I despise how long this protocol is...8 weeks from BCP to transfer!  It's enough to drive me completely off my rocker!

Praying, Welcome!  We decided to do IVF after 3 IUI's.  In hindsight we probably could have done more before jumping into IVF, but we had been trying so long and I was just ready to be pregnant.  And now that I have my DD, I have absolutely no regrets since there is no way that specific sperm and egg would have found each other any other way :)  The drug side of it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, but I was very focused on the end result.  I had a mild case of OHSS, but it was all worth it too, and just a distant memory now.  It's definitely expensive but you can shop around clinics and/or pharmacies...to save a little here or there.  At my old clinic it was about $12,000 with drugs for a fresh cycle (including freezing, 1 yr storage, u/s, bloodwork, etc).  My new clinic runs more like $15,000.  I always tell myself that although it's expensive, it's no where near the cost of caring for a child :) especially college!  We just get to start our "investment" of child-rearing early. 

Aura, did you have your appt today?  How did it go?

Blue, glad you made it safely and it sounds like you two are enjoying yourselves!!!   Can't wait for your Friday u/s update.

Silver, wishing you the best on your sperm shopping.  keep us posted.

rcr, ugh to problem doggies!  Our puppy is giving me a bit of a headache today!  My mother in law watches DD on the days I work and she doesn't do a good job of picking up the toys as they play...so of course the puppy chews them up.  She is doing better, and it's never a problem when I am home, just with MIL is there.  Today she got the pieces to a brand new M&D puzzle I bought DD for her birthday.  I was so mad I almost cried.  Good luck with your foster pup!  I also prefer crate training...could you make her/him a smaller area with furniture or wood?

Kewpie, hope you are feeling a little better.  We have something going around here and it's no fun :(

Renavoo, I am going crazy for you!  I wish it was beta or POAS time!  Sending tons of sticky, implanting, growing vibes!

AFM, got a call from the embryologist today, just confirming our plan to thaw all 7 of the day 3's and if none make it to start thawing the blasts.  I wasn't expecting a call, but I guess they wanted to triple check the plan (already called twice before).  Very thorough group.  I go in for more b/w next monday.  They will be testing my E2 and progesterone (start Sunday night).  My old clinic didn't do a second set of b/w after starting progesterone, so I am not exactly sure what they are looking for.  I wish I could get another peak at my lining for peace of mind :)  I also hope this clinic gives me a picture of the embies we transfer...I really liked having those in the past.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#492 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM

praying, now that I think about it more, one of the main reasons we decided to stop the IUI cycles was the cost of injectibles with IUI.  Ours had always been clomid and since injectibles were the next step we decided to go to IVF since the cost was only about twice the amount and the success rates were much higher.  Plus, we banked on the thought we would have frosties for FET's which are cheaper than more injectible/IUI's if we wanted more children (or if the first didn't work).  Of course, we could have ended up with nothing to freeze, but if that happened we would have learned a lot about what was causing our "unexplained" infertility, and felt it was still the best move.

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#493 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 04:48 PM

hello ladies!! so much action. i love it.  it makes it hard to do personals though, i have to spend so much time scrolling up and down!

blue- sounds like you're getting settled in! take the time to take care of yourself and relax.  walking abby in the park sounds amazing!

laggie, glad you're doing well.  we're thinking of you.

belly, i love how prepared the clinic sounds.  i'd rather get 100 phone calls than have them assume and do the wrong thing.  i'm so excited for you!  i hope the embryos thaw well and grow.

rcr- glad AF didn't come, it would stink to have to wait another month to start ivf.  

renavoo- love the novel, glad to hear you're doing so well.  you sound great! i wouldn't worry about running up the stairs once or twice, just think of all the people who go on with regular activities not knowing they are pregnant.  if your body feels comfortable doing it, it's probably fine.  breast tenderness sounds great!  i will anxiously await your bfp.  

tenzin,  how are you feeling??  in response to your question, ivf 1 was very similar to ivf 2, except they upped my stims a LOT.  and egg quality went down as a result.  

praying- we went straight to IVF because of my husband's retrograde ejaculation.  it was never going to happen naturally, and with retrograde the only option is ivf with ICSI.  our first cycle was negative, and so with the second cycle we did 50/50 my husband's sperm and donor sperm.  when even the donor sperm failed to get me pregnant, we realized it was an egg issue as well.  

afm,  i have PCOS!  the dr mentioned it so casually, like, mid conversation.  as in,"oh and you know with PCOS you can have...".  i believe she assumed i knew i had it, because her follow up question was "oh, so you've never been on metformin?"  thank goodness for the internet where i can self diagnose.  i now have a shiny new prescription for metformin which has side effects that include nausea, vomiting, cramping, diarrhea, and flatulence.  can infertility get ANY sexier?  but this medicine will supposedly help me lose weight (perhaps due to the sickness!) and also regulate my hormones better to make me more fertile.  good to know! i'm glad i looked into it.  after discussing PCOS she questioned whether we wanted to continue to try with my husband's sperm.  i explained we gave it a shot and are now ready to use all donor sperm.  her suggestion is a few months of IUI with clomid.  which was really what i was hoping for.  I've heard not so great things about clomid, but after all the drugs i've been on for ivf, clomid will probably not be so bad.  i think that using lower doses of drugs will really help my egg quality (along with the metformin) and so i am feeling hopeful again.  what a roller coaster.

kewpie, any advice about PCOS? they aren't running any tests because i had a GTT when I was 15 and already know i have metabolic syndrome.  my periods are regular and i've never had cysts, but i have a LOT of the other symptoms.  have you ever taken metformin (or glucophage?)?  from reading online it seems like it can really help people if they can withstand the side effects.  i am also going to try to watch my diet to see if that helps as well.  anything i should know?  i am now about to go on an internet researching binge before i take my first pill.  she suggested i start with one at night and see how bad the side effects are, eventually moving up to 500mg 3 times a day.  

#494 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Aura, great news about PCOS (ha, so funny I am happy you have a problem!)  If you are still using your RE for your clomid/IUI, will you have your lining checked during the cycle?  Clomid really messed with mine...of course mine has proven to be lousy all around.  I am sure they are already planning on that, but just thought I would throw it out there.  I wish I would have known more about the lining when I was doing my clomid/IUIs.  They can also give you estrace orally or vaginally to help keep the lining extra plush!  Yay!  Can't wait for you to get started again!!!

#495 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 PM

belly, i assumed my lining would be the same!  i didn't realize clomid made it less?  i need to read up on clomid.  i don't even know if it's taken orally or by injection.  for my two ivf cycles my lining was a 12/11 and they seemed pleased.  should i be concerned it will be less?? 

#496 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Renavoo:  Sure you can put my info on page one.  I guess I am in waiting with 3 failed IUI's.  Possible to start IUI #4 or IVF at the end of the month. However you want to word it is fine with me.  Thank you!  I guess that I am leaning toward IVF because of the better statistics, if that is even an option for us.  I am 36 and DH is 39.  He is fine with moderately low motility.  I have a high FSH, unexplained.  IVF does terrify me though.  I am a pharmacist, so knowing too much about the drugs and their possible side effects is probably not really a good thing.  Who knows if what I am feeling is really there, or there just because I know it could be???  The idea of multiples makes me nervous too.  I would take whatever the Lord gave me, and I know there is a risk with IUI too but...  That is why I so admire Kewpie and Keria.

Unfortunately, I have no support from family.  But that is my choosing I guess.  This is just so hard and personal...  I just can't take people asking me about it all the time.  I have two sisters, that do not live locally (I live in SE Florida).  I told my oldest sister about how our DS was conceived a month after he was born.  My middle sister, who I am not as close to, still has not clue.  My DH's mom, and my parents know the story, but we only told them after we announced the prenancy.  My sisters and DH's sister and SIL conceived so easily they would never understand our situation.  But I guess we are not giving them the chance either.  I just...can't right now.

Enough about me....  how is the 2WW going.  Are you taking it easy?  I know it is hard when all you want to do is keep busy!

Tenzinsmoma:  Thanks for the great reply.  Wow, people acutally read each others posts here.  That is sooo awesome!  You really gave me a lot of things to think about.  They all make sense, but sometimes I get so wrapped up in the details that I lose sight of the big picture.  You are so blessed how things worked out for you.  Yeah!  How great is that?  How are you feeling these days?

Silverbird:  I have tried to refresh myself with your story.  You have been through so much.  God bless you.  Hang in there, and best of luck with your search for some strong and healthy spermies!

Laggie:  hula hoop classes?  That sounds awesome.  I used to love to hula hoop when I was kid.  I wonder if I could **** do it...huh.  Something to think about.  Hope that they are going well for you and helping to distract you.

Aura:  I never knew they could do a "50/50" sperm.  That is so interesting.  I am learning so much from all of you ladies.  So what are your plans now?  I know that the side effect of metformin looks really ugly, but I rarely hear any patient complaints that they actually experience them.  Hopefully you will have the same situation.  As far as IF being sexy..LOL.  You made me giggle.  I really needed that!

RCR:  Yeah for insurance covering your IF.  That is a major help.  We get a little help with the meds (for alteast one more cycle) but no help for the actual IUI/IVF.  They do cover the diagnostics, which is a huge help.  We had no help when we were trying for our DS, so we will take whatever they will give us.  Every little bit certainly helps.

Belly: Thanks for the advice.  I know what you mean about considering the expense vs. outcome.  My RE keeps saying he wants us to get the "best bang for the buck".  He is so funny.  His is a small office with just him, so there is no shared risk or anything like that.  But I like the smaller and more personal environment.  They all know me and are very friendly and helpful.  I think the price for IVF is $9500, not including meds, or any freezing or storage if there are any leftover embies.  But it does include all b/w, u/s and all other monitoring they want done.  Sounds like his prices are quite reasonable in the scheme of things!

Blue:  your pup is so cute.  She sounds like great company.  Good luck to you and I hope you get to enjoy your trip a little.  How did the dinner you made turn out?

So glad to find such an active post, however, I think I will have trouble keeping up, but I will try.  I am really excited to have found you ladies.  Just wanted to say YEAH to all of the animal lovers and rescuers.  I am an animal lover myself.  We have 7 cats, all rescues.  They are a handful but I would not give them up for the world.  We lost my one cat that I have had the longest and our dog last year both to cancer.  That was really hard, but I know they were happy with us, and we loved them dearly.

Now...  I have a question.  Let me preface with...I think that I am losing my ever-loving mind!!!  As I mentioned, after what looked like a really promising IUI in early Sept, AF showed up 4 days early.  I had a normal cycle.  I never POAS or had a beta.  Then, of course, I find all these sites with wormen talking about having normal cycles while pregnant.  (I don't know why this is in italics now, but I can not figure out how to change it back so...sigh!).  So, all along I have had this small glimmer that maybe...just maybe I could be pregnant.  I have felt weird all month, but nothing I could put my finger on, and last week I prayed for God to give me direction and I had a dream that night that I got a positive pregnancy test.  Now, today. 1 week b/f AF is due, I had a bit of breakthrough bleeding...which I have never, ever had before.  Just one time in the bathroom did I notice it, and now nothing.  I know that the answer is...just POAS and get it over with!  But I am afraid...as that makes the failure real....  Have any of you ever seen/heard of something like this...  Am I totally setting myself up for more heartbreak?  What do you think?

Good luck to all of those is 2WW.  Sticky vibes!  Happy vibes and thoughts to all of you!

#497 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM

prayinghard - yep, you got it... I'd say to just test even though it is hard if it is a BFN, but I'd say either that or just wait it out. I think you are talking about the dinner I made in the crock pot maybe last week that i had made for a friend also.  It was a flop and we ate it and then had to throw out the rest.  The other recipe i was talking about making I haven't made yet.  I am going to make Chicken Marsala for "the aunt" and I on Thurs night though.

Aura - That is great to have a diagnosis, I think.  It always seems like we want to an answer so maybe now you will be able to get your baby b/c they will know how to treat you right.  I hope it works for you.  I was told i had PCOS yrs ago like when I was like 20 or so and they put me on Metaforin for maybe a yr and then the next yr told me they were wrong (another dr doing the same test).  I didn't have too many symptoms from it that I remember but then again that was many yrs ago.

Belly - that really sounds like your new RE is on top of things.  That is great!! I'm glad to hear that your in good hands.  So is your Transfer on the 29th?  If so, we really will totally be cycle buddies.  I think my ET may be on Sat but that is still a guess.

Laggie - hug2.gifThat sucks about your friend and what she said.  You are right just keep it to yourself.  Your dog is so cute.  Love the little vest.  I got Abby one of those the one weekend that it got cold and our furnace broke b/c she was shivering.

AFM - So they upped my dose today to 375 now.  My RE is just trying to start off slow to get a few good eggs (every time i say or write that I think "A few good Men" LOL.  So now I'm trying to figure out if I need to order more meds.  Hopefully i will know by monday.  I also forgot that when I had my annual pap on Monday she told me that she wants me to come back for a biopsy b/c I have a spot outside of "that" area but down there.  I swear... why can't I just have normal things like hang-nails???  headscratch.gif Come on, or if i have a spot why can't it be on my arm or leg and not in an area so embarrassing!!!  Only me... well maybe not.  So now i have to have that done on Halloween which is the same day the little girlie goes in to get spayed.  Also, do any of you guys watch Guilanna and Bill on the style network?  They have been going through IF and are doing a reality show about it and their life.  I have watched like the last couple seasons and they are really a fun couple and so down to earth.  Anyways, she did IUI's and now i think 1 or 2 IVF's and now just found out she has breast cancer in the early stages.  That is a little scary after our one conversation about all these meds and cancer.  Good grief!!!  Okay, well the little girlie is really tired b/c she ran all over the dog park today and loved it.  Tomorrow it is suppose to rain all day, so that isn't good.... might be a treadmill day.  Last night she barked in her crate for awhile and then finally fell asleep and then at 4am i woke up out of a deep sleep and she was crying bloody murder, so I had to go down and get her out of her crate and let her come and sleep in bed with me which she loved.  Hoping she will spend the whole night in the crate tonight, but I'm doubting it.  I hate to give in b/c i know it is bad, but i hate to listen to her cry.  Good grief... this is good training for having a baby, i keep reminding myself of that.

#498 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 PM

It took a few weeks for me to get used to the metformin.  I got sick to my stomach every time I took it, so I'd take it with meals and have some crackers handy just in case it hits you hard.  I had the diarrhea too, but it was only bad when I ate things high in fat.  When I cut down the fat, that side effect went away.

I lost quite a bit of weight when I went on metformin.  I was on it from ages 19 - 30.  I went off of it and on insulin when I hit 2nd trimester.  It helps TONS.  I felt like I had so much more energy and just felt... good.  Watching your diet will help a lot too.  Eat simple sugar sparingly and keep carbs to a minimum.  I found it helpful to speak with a nutritionist to figure out how much of each thing I should eat and when.  

It's important to balance carbs and protein and fiber together.  It will help balance your sugars and force your body to absorb sugar more slowly.  When you do eat starch, try to choose those that are whole grain.  Exercise right after meals will help regulate sugar as well.  Even just a 20 minute walk after meals is enough to help heaps!  If you can keep your sugars under control now, you can avoid type 2 diabetes and lose weight. Unfortunately, diabetes and PCOS go hand in hand most of the time.

Here's how I eat on a typical day:

breakfast 30 grams starch carb, 12 grams milk carb, 7 grams protein, and a fat.

So, this translates to 1 whole grain mini bagel, 1 cup milk, 1oz cream cheese OR 2/3 cup cereal, 1 cup milk, 1 egg

Snack (it's important to graze throughout the day and not eat just 3 main big meals)

15 grams starch carb and 1 fat

Usually, I have whole grain crackers and butter or peanut butter

Lunch 30 grams starch carb, 15 grams fruit carbs, 12 grams milk carbs, 10 grams nonstarch veggie carbs, 21 grams protein, 2 fats

I might have 2/3 cup whole grain pasta, 1/2 banana, 8oz yogurt, 2 cups raw veggies or 1 cup cooked, 3oz chicken, 1 avacado

midday snack: 15 grams starch carb, 15 grams fruit carbs

whole grain crackers 1/2 cup apple sauce

Dinner 45 grams starch carbs, 15 grams fruit carbs, 10 grams nonstarch veggie carbs, 21 grams protein, 2 fats

1.5 cups mashed potatoes, 3 oz beef with gravy, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 cup spinach with butter, small orange

bedtime snack 15 grams starch carbs, 12 grams milk carbs, 7 grams protein

1 tortilla, 3 slices turkey breast lunch meat, 1 oz cheese, 1/2 cup milk

It feels overwhelming and tedious at first, but it gets easier after a couple weeks and before you know it, you just know that you're allowed 12 cherries in a sitting.  

I found this book http://www.amazon.com/Patients-Guide-PCOS-Understanding---Reversing--Polycystic/dp/0805078282/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318990204&sr=8-3 very helpful.  As well as http://www.amazon.com/Womans-Polycystic-Ovarian-Syndrome-Epidemic/dp/1933213019/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1318990204&sr=8-13 this one. 

This site http://www.lillydiabetes.com/Pages/nutrition-and-fitness.aspx is FULL of useful information as well. 

Once I got on the metformin AND kept my diet under control, a lot of my symptoms started to diminish.  My hair started growing back in, my ache went away, my moods got more level, and I wasn't so tired all the time.  If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.  I know I've kind of bombarded you with a lot already...

ETA: I also found that seeing an endocrinologist for PCOS instead of just my OB made a huge difference in my care.  My OB tended to just throw pills at me and not educate me or want to really help.  My endocrinologist is more like a partner in making me healthy.  That's just my opinion, though.  Take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auraleigh View Post

afm,  i have PCOS!  the dr mentioned it so casually, like, mid conversation.  as in,"oh and you know with PCOS you can have...".  i believe she assumed i knew i had it, because her follow up question was "oh, so you've never been on metformin?"  thank goodness for the internet where i can self diagnose.  i now have a shiny new prescription for metformin which has side effects that include nausea, vomiting, cramping, diarrhea, and flatulence.  can infertility get ANY sexier?  but this medicine will supposedly help me lose weight (perhaps due to the sickness!) and also regulate my hormones better to make me more fertile.  good to know! i'm glad i looked into it.  after discussing PCOS she questioned whether we wanted to continue to try with my husband's sperm.  i explained we gave it a shot and are now ready to use all donor sperm.  her suggestion is a few months of IUI with clomid.  which was really what i was hoping for.  I've heard not so great things about clomid, but after all the drugs i've been on for ivf, clomid will probably not be so bad.  i think that using lower doses of drugs will really help my egg quality (along with the metformin) and so i am feeling hopeful again.  what a roller coaster.

kewpie, any advice about PCOS? they aren't running any tests because i had a GTT when I was 15 and already know i have metabolic syndrome.  my periods are regular and i've never had cysts, but i have a LOT of the other symptoms.  have you ever taken metformin (or glucophage?)?  from reading online it seems like it can really help people if they can withstand the side effects.  i am also going to try to watch my diet to see if that helps as well.  anything i should know?  i am now about to go on an internet researching binge before i take my first pill.  she suggested i start with one at night and see how bad the side effects are, eventually moving up to 500mg 3 times a day.  

13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1
11 weeks
IVF #2
Liam and
Maisie (now 3 years old)
#499 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Oh my gosh, I am not going to have time to do personals completely, though I would love to... there is just so much on here, and I've got to get off the computer and spend some time with my DH!  Ha ha, all those times when I was ovulating, I wouldn't let him out of my sight, and now here I am with my face buried in the laptop in another part of the house while he is waiting for me to join him to watch a bit of TV. 

But I do have to comment about the PCOS, Aura!  Wow... you called it, that's it for sure.  Good thing for your super-sleuth abilities!  Any reason why you think it might not have been brought to the forefront before?  I don't know anything about it or the meds, but it definitely sounds like there is something that you can tackle.  And you are back to thinking you might give things another go in a while?  I had some issues with Clomid-- I was on 100mg for days 3-7 when we did the IUIs.  It's oral.   I had some headaches, hot flashes, and my mood was affected.  The way the pharmacist explained it to me was that Clomid has a systemic effect (i.e. targets all the estrogen recepter sites in the body), while the IVF drugs target the ovaries and such).  Also, I think that in most cases, the lining issue comes up if you take it longer than 3 consecutive months-- at our clinic, you could do 3 months on, and 2 months off, then start trying again.  (Although, in my case, they were willing to let me go with only a 1 month break, so I wouldn't lose any more time... yep, that whole age thing.  Good thing I don't have a complex about it!)  However, despite my side effects, it was SO worth it-- we wouldn't have my DS otherwise!  Anyway, keep us posted about things!  I've got everything crossed for you that this knowledge and treatment really helps you out! 

Belly, excellent point about IVF being a diagnostic tool as well...

Renavoo, very interesting things you are reporting. I will be over the moon with happiness with an announcement of a bfp from you... you are seeming to hold up so well during this wait! 

Blue, hope you are settling in more and more as the days go by...

Laggie, rcr and Praying, that is such an important thing to do--take care of the animals that are in need, whether it is a temporary haven or a forever home.  I know that with my one dog, who is a rescue, he had a few issues but once they worked out he turned out to be the best dog ever... almost like he is so grateful for a good home that he just gives so much love to us.

Praying, I'd test, if I had that happening to me.  I would feel better knowing one way or another.  In fact, this summer, when I was slated to have an HSG on CD6, I did a test just to be sure that I wasn't pregnant-- because AF seemed to be a little different that cycle.  Isn't it something like 30% of women who have some kind of bleeding even when they are pregnant?  Anyway, I know what you mean, about it being really hard to do.  A couple of weeks ago I really didn't feel like POAS'ing when it was two days before my baseline u/s and b/w and I still hadn't gotten AF... I was so convinced it was because the suppression drug was making things wonky.  But my DH was encouraging me to do so... I dreaded it.  I don't know, someone very wise once told me, when I am torn about something, I should ask myself, "Is there an action to take?".  I find that it really helps me get through things.  Otherwise, I have a tendency to ruminate.  If you think you should do it, know that you can do it! 

AFM, just a quick update... I know a couple of you were asking how I was feeling and if I'm having any pregnancy symptoms... Well, I'm happy to report that I'm now getting up in the middle of the night to pee-- because if I don't I am soooo uncomfortable and I don't sleep well through it.  I'm also very tired.  I've been weepy sometimes (e.g. teary when a team gets kicked off Amazing Race) and grumpy the odd time... most of the time I'm feeling good.  I do have my moments, though, when I get really anxious, and then I have to work hard to bring the levels down.  I've got twinges/heaviness happening quite often, and although I know that it is common, it's very disconcerting.  It sucks that early pregnancy symptoms and PMS are so similar.  It messes with you, big time.  I'm definitely not the poster gal for a zen-nish pregnant person. 

Well, have a good night, everyone!  I'm off to watch x-factor with DH... boy, is there ever some amazing talent across your country!

#500 of 965 Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 PM

Kewpie:  That sounds like a great diet.  I do not have PCOS, but I am sure that it would be good for anyone to follow those recommendations.  I do not know if I have enough willpower, but I may give it a whirl. Thanks for sharing it.

Tenzin and Blue:  I know what I need to do.  Maybe I will go for it tommorrow morning..or certainly the day after that...LOL.

Blue:  I am sorry that the hits just keep coming.  I am sure this "spot: is nothing.  Ad far as the location...I think privacy of our nether regions went out the window a long time ago.  I mean I am not ready to run out and get a brazilian...  but putting my feet in stirrups is second nature now.  I will be thinking of you!

Tenzin:  Hope you enjoyed your TV time with hubby.  Other than sports (yup...I am a fan), my DH and I have totally different tastes in TV, so we spend a lot of time in spearate rooms.  Or I sit with him and he watches TV and I pick up a good book!  It works for us, so I won't complain...

Hope everyone is doing well and feeling good tonight!

#501 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

HI everyone!!

Aura, yah to getting some tangible diagnosis!! I am so excited for you (although i wish you didn't have to deal with it!) Does she think that the metformin or the clomid will help with the egg quality? I didn't realize that this was the case but COOL! Clomid is taken orally. By the way, I second Belly's concern about the lining. i found myself to be very responsive to clomid (more so than Femara) but i was responsive in a good and bad way. I always had 3 follies but i also had the thinnest lining- i think the first round, I had lining around 4mm. 2nd and 3rd rounds, I had linings around 5mm. It was insane. And no matter how much I asked my RE, she refused to give me supplementation for my lining. Which means i wasted three months with her. Some part of me still wonders whether I would have been able to get pregnant off of clomid, if my lining was good enough. Oh well...i hope it works for you though!!! That would be so great. But definitely keep an eye on the lining and if she doesn't supplement the first round (many doctors don't because they want to see how you respond), if you get thin lining, definitely push for some supplementation the second round. Did she say how many rounds she wants you to go? I was told that if I don't get pregnant by the third round, it just probably isn't worth it. By the way, my previous RE told me that and then for the 4th round, she wanted to put me on clomid again...this time with estrogen supplementation. *rolling eyes* when i think of the months I wasted with that woman....

Also, stock up on PreSeed lubricant!! Clomid can also make you pretty dry and make your CM pretty sparse.

Prayinghard, i'm so sorry about the high FSH levels. Did they do an antral follicle count for you? If so, how is that looking? That is a good indicator of how you will respond to IVF and other stimulation. I'm really really sorry about not having family support. How about friends? Do your friends know? I totally get, however, not wanting to discuss it a lot. It's just so exhausting a topic and I'm always conscious about how maudlin I can be because i know a lot of people can't take it. i'm so with you about knowing too much to be comfortable. I'm one of the medical researchers in a pharmaceutical marketing company so I know a little too much about pharmacology and the effects of drugs to be completely comfortable taking as many drugs as I currently do. Before this, I barely took any drugs unless absolutely necessary. Sigh, sadly, this is very much necessary!  by the way, I wonder if the bleeding is implantation bleeding so you won't even need another cycle?! That would be so cool!!!!

RCR, I'm so happy that the timing worked out for you. Argh, I wonder how often they find issues with the baseline US and stuff? It just seems like an extra step that i know they THINK they need to do but really, is it necessary? haha But I'm glad that you got in in time! So, do you know what your schedule is? I guess they won't give it to you until your baselines?! I'm so excited that you're beginning again (not that you need to but that i can cheer you along this time too! And hopefully, this will be your time!)

Laggie, ugh to your friend's comment!! Did she have trouble conceiving? I find that people who didn't have trouble conceiving have the worst "advice" My SIL STILL tells me to lie in bed and not pee after sex. Umm duh? Just because YOU needed to be told doesn't mean that I do. Sigh, sorry I'm being snarky...it just really annoys me whenever she gives me advice like that. She doesn't know that i'm going through IVF though...I can't imagine talking to her about any of that because 1) she'd tell my mom and 2) she wouldn't really understand the need for it. But anyway, back to you...I'm sorry your dog is being so destructive. I totally get why you don't want to buy a crate but i hope that she's not doing too much damage to your floors!!

Blue, how was helping your aunt with the flowers? I'm glad that it looks like Abby is settling in ok, even though she misses being in the bed with you :o) And yes, puppies are like babies, aren't they? As for the Bill and Giuliana, yeah I heard about the breast cancer!! Did she say whether she thinks it is drug related? It is really scary. I guess it's a good time to do self exams. Sigh, I'm positive we can't be doing all too much good putting as many hormones in our bodies as we are but seriously! What else are we supposed to do? But if she has hormone responsive breast cancer, at least that is the easier breast cancer to treat. Not that any cancer is a good thing. Just trying to be optimistic for her. When I read that she was trying to have a baby too I was so sad for her. :o( As for you, sorry you may need to up the dose. yet another expense. Sigh. Hope that you get good results at your next visit!

Belly, have you started the progesterone already?? Wow, it is so exciting that they are now talking about the embies! I am ultra excited for you and I can't wait to see how well your embies respond once they thaw. How many more embies do you have? I hope that you get some wonderful embies to transfer. Are you aiming to transfer 2 embies? I love that they are actually proactively calling you and checking in, by the way. Personally, I think that should be the way it is done. Too often, we feel powerless during this process. Checking in and giving us the final say at least gives us some power over everything!

Tenzin, YAH to feeling good overall! haha the moodiness is so natural as is the worry but i know that everything is going to be ok. I'm glad you're enjoying some downtime with DH!! Continue to do it. You deserve some relaxation and zen time (especially when you're not too zen, yourself...hahah so funny!)

Kewpie, WOW, what an amazing diet! i wish I had your willpower...i've already pretty much dropped off of weight watchers, just following it peripherally, and it's definitely not as regimented as your diet. But great for you!!

AFM, Not much is going on. Still have some breast pain but the oddest thing is that i also have side tenderness too (now i'm thinking cancer!!) it's like i lifted weights but I didn't!! i dont feel any hard lumps so hopefully, it's just my mind going crazy. But yeah, I definitely still feel the breast pain and maybe a little lower ab uncomfortableness. Last time, even though I was on progesterone and didn't get full on bleeding when my period wanted to come, i experienced some spotting. Therefore, this could mean also mean that my body is getting ready for AF. sniff. It's a little early yet though...Sunday will be 14 days after I started my progesterone, which would probably be  what would count for 14dpo then. So we will see!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Attempted induction at 38 weeks; ended up with a c-section.

In love with my baby boy Colin and baby girl Sienna!

love.gif

#502 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 AM
rcr

AF started yesterday afternoon. So my baseline is tomorrow. I think that they called in my bcp already. I am going to have to call and check. Yay for getting started.

So yea, the dog is inside today probably pooping right now. It is raining so I couldn't leave him outside.

I have class in 5 minutes, so I gotta go. Will type more later.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#503 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 08:54 AM

rcr - Yay for AF and getting moving on your next cycle.  Fingers crossed this will be your time!!! Keep us posted on how your u/s goes.

Renavoo - When i got pregnant with our boys i felt like i had done like 1000 sit up bc my lower abdominal area was tired like a muscle strain.  I'm hoping that is what you are feeling from implantation and that uterus stretching and hugging that embie!!  Keep us posted.  Pulling out flowers was fine.  It is so much more fun to do it at someone elses house than your own.  I just very much appreciate her letting us stay here so whatever i can do to help.  It is a little odd b/c she is actually my MIL's bestfriend so i don't know her all that well but she is very nice and so laid back and loves the pup and isn't worried at all about her so that really helps my cause.  Normally Abby sleeps in her crate at home but she is just not having it here so she has been sleeping with me in bed which is okay but i don't sleep as well unfortunately. This morning she got me up at like 6:50am so she had her breakfast and then we went for a walk all before 7:15.  Not my idea of a "vacation" lol... i'm kinda calling this a vacation but it really isn't especially when i don't get to sleep in or very good.

Tenzi - yay for having to pee in the middle of the night.  LOL... it is the little things that make us with IF happy!!!!!  Hope the symptoms keep coming just not too bad.

Praying - Yep, not afraid of the stirups any more that is for sure.  Just would be so much easier if it was somewhere else since i spend enough time in the stirups lately.  Hope you are well.  What is the next step for you?

Kewpie -so impressed with that diet.  That is great!!!  Hope you are feeling better.  How is the cold?

Hi to everyone else.  "The aunt" and i are off to do a little shopping at like a Michael's store i think b/c she needs a frame so i'll just go along for the ride and then we need to stop at the grocery store b/c i need to get some stuff for tomorrows dinner that i"m making.

#504 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 AM

... And now it's time for me to move from TTC to Infertility. I check out great while my partner's sperm is only 9 million/mL. On the phone the doctor said IVF is our next step and we meet with him next week to start discussing it. A couple of questions for y'all: 1) my partner rode his bike to drop off his sperm sample, and it was in his backpack on the way (about 15 minutes). Could this have lowered his analysis numbers? 2) How long do people usually wait between sperm analyses? I know you need multiple tests to be certain, but do there have to be months in between? 3) This is for the other veg*ns out there- have you already done research on the IVF meds to find out which are synthetic and which are based on animal cells and can let me know? The info is out there so I can collate it myself, but if someone else already compiled it, I'd love it. Thanks!  

#505 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Good morning, everyone!

Renavoo, when you were on progesterone before, did you have any breast tenderness then?  Do you get it normally as a PMS symptom?  I don't have really sore boobs right now, just a little bit on and off (I've read that previous pregnancies and/or breastfeeding kind of 'toughens' them up), but when I do notice it, it is on the sides.   So, I'm hoping this is a really good sign for you! 

Blue, I had to giggle at the idea of Abby needing to sleep with you, and then thinking of her having this totally blissful sleep while you are all crowded and stuff.  It's not a great sleep sometimes, that's for sure, when your dog is in with you.  I think it's key to get your spot in the bed first thing, and then not move all night so she has a chance to inch over on your side, ha ha.

rcr, YAY for getting started!  Hope there's not a whole lot of poopin' goin' on!   Are there any other rescue folk out there who currently do not have a foster dog in place, who could lend you a crate?  It's hard, I was lucky in that my work and home weren't too far away from each other, so I could pop home at lunch and do a walk then.  Looking back, with some of my guys/gals, it was more a concern around the chewing than pooping/peeing once it was time to graduate from the crate during the day.  We really noticed a big difference with 'regularity' when we put them on a more expensive dog food-- with that, because of the quality they could eat less and then they pooped less, and it was so predictable.  You probably don't get much help, if any, with expenses, however, when you take on fosters-- so that might not be a practical suggestion.  By the way, thank goodness there are people like you with such big hearts-- thank you from the bottom of my heart for being a protector of the animals that way!

mole, hi!  I don't know have much in the way of answers to your questions, but I'm sure the other ladies do.  However, I'm remembering reading something about needing to keep the sperm sample warm on the way to the clinic, and some people keep it tucked into their bra or something like that... but maybe that's because it was a lot longer time to get there?  15 minutes doesn't seem like that long, but then I don't know for sure-- my DH always did it at the clinic, so we weren't told anything or needed to ask about it.

Kewpie, how are you feeling?

#506 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi mole, welcome to the thread. Usually they tell you to keep the sample at body temperature - I was told to keep it in my bra or between my legs in the car - so yes, I think that putting it in a backpack could be bad. I'm surprised your doctor would just say you need IVF right away - 9 million is not that bad, I would think you would have a good chance with IUI. I thought if you had over 5 million/mL IUI was a good bet...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_insemination

I don't know anything about the vegan aspect, although menopur is made from the urine of post-menopausal nuns... I guess that makes it an animal product LOL.

IIRC, DP had another analysis done a few weeks after the first one, to see if it was a fluke or not.

Twin Boys born August 16, 2014

#507 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 11:16 AM
rcr

Blue - I got AF yesterday afternoon. Yay. Thats a good idea to check craigslist. We really should have gotten a bigger dog cage, we got one that was a medium size to fit the foster that we had at the time, but of course we have gotten large dogs since then. What is worse is that it is raining today so I know he is pooping in my kitchen now. So, I have not been around much, obviously. You are in MI now waiting for your retrieval? Are you planning to stay there until the transfer? How many follies do you have now? Sorry, I could look back, but I looked back a few pages and didn't see you say that stuff.

Laggie - yea, I wish we could trade. Our crate would be perfect for your dog. Ours is a collie, so he is as big as lassie. Wow, hula hopping sounds really fun. I need to get out and do something fun. I don't do anything that doesn't involve my kid. We are just about  on the same schedule. I am starting BCP tomorrow.

Belly - yea, I have put him in the kitchen with a baby gate but it isn't small enough so he pees on one side. I am going to ask DH to but another baby gate halfway across the kitchen to make his area smaller, or hopefully find a larger crate on craigslist so that I don't have to worry about it (or better yet, get him potty trained!)I loved the picture too. Actually, I just threw it away a few weeks ago when I was doing some cleaning. I held on to it for so long. But it was really nice to have the picture when the embies were growing in the lab, to have something tangible to focus on when I thought about it growing inside me.

Praying - to add to what belly said, we did injectibles with all of our IUIs, but only because we have coverage. Had we not, we definetely would have moved on to a second IVF because the drugs are so expensive. Oh, and I would test... but I am a tester. :)

Blue - GAH breast cancer totally freaks me out! Ok, so I totally believe in research, and statistics, and I am a professor and do that kind of stuff for a living, so I really should believe it when my RE says that there is absolutely no evidence from good studies showing a link, but then when I see somebody who got breast cancer after IF treatmets, it is really hard to be rational about it. I am now regretting doing so many injectible IUI cycles, especially the last one that lasted so long. Gah. I really need to get a grip. I am trying to convince myself what the RE says is true - that women get breast cancer whether they have IF treatments or not, and anybody who gets it after doing IF treatments is only a considence. But gah, I really don't want to get cancer, and it scares the heck out of me after doing all this IF stuff.

Also Blue - is there something about doing lower doses of the stim drugs that give you higher egg quality but lower numbers?

Kewpie - you are so darn cute. I love the picture and stalking you on FB. I want to be a cute pregnant lady with twins too.

Tenzins - hang in there. I think this is the worst part, Early pregnancy is so full of worries, especially for us with IF.

AFM - my appointment is tomorrow at 9 am. So hopefully I can be moved to supression after that! Yay. It has been almost a year since my last IVF, and  I am so happy to be moving forward.

#508 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM
rcr

Ok, so I was replying from the previous page so that I could scroll up and refer to other posts, so I didn't do this page.

Welcome Mole. I would second laggies comment about the sperm, and also add that there are some great supplements for sperm - fertilaid is one, and coq10, l-argigne, and others. DH is on all of them and his sperm has really improved. A good urigolost should be able to recommend them. Also, for the vegan comment, we are vegan except we eat eggs (from our backyard chickens), but I honestly have given up on vegan medical stuff. I take care of my mom with Alzheimer's, and she is veggie (or was at least), and it just gets so complicated when you worry about pharmacuticles. She is on about 15 different drugs. I just expect them to not be vegan, as I do with IF drugs. I guess I want a baby more than I want to be vegan, and I want my mom to be around for a few more years more than I want to be vegan. I didn't always feel that way, but I guess that is one of the ways that IF has changed me.

Tenzis - actually they give me free food, but it is whatever is donated to them, and it is usually the cheap stuff. My own dog has puked twice this week because he eats the cheap food because we feed them together. I may have to go back to just buying our own food.

Ok, that all just took me like half an hour to write these two posts.. I have to get back to work

#509 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 01:13 PM

blue and tenzins - My cold is still here, but getting a little better.  I have those intense itchy coughs that I'm dealing with now and I think I strained a muscle or something in my abdomen from coughing. I actually have a physical lump under my skin.  It feels like I have pins pricking the back of my throat and the urge to cough is so intense I start to flush. ughhh Hopefully I will be rid of it soon.  

rcr - You are too sweet.  I hope you can be a cute prego mama soon too!!!

AFM - I realize I'm posting this 12 hours after posting my diet, but I just have to share my biggest guilty pleasure right now... sherbet and 7up floats... oh man... I don't drink them often, but when I'm sick with a super sore throat, I let myself indulge.  It feels amazing going down ahhhhh 

IVF #1
11 weeks
IVF #2
Liam and
Maisie (now 3 years old)
#510 of 965 Old 10-19-2011, 03:54 PM

Kewpie, I want to see cute preggo mama photos of you, too...!  I think you said you going to update your profile pic anyway, weren't you?  biggrinbounce.gif  So, I've got to try one of those sherbert floats.  I've never had a 7 up one before, just root beer or coke, and it's always been with vanilla or chocolate ice cream.  So what flavor of sherbert?  Hmmmm, yum...  yummy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page