Winter IVF Thread : Bring on the BFPs! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1307 Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh Laggie, I am so so so sorry.  hug.gif  That is so unfair gloomy.gif  It sounds like it's a MF issue...would your DH be opposed to donor sperm IUI?  I am so sad for you.

Silver, glad you are avoiding the long wait!  Keep us posted, I bet you can get started right away if you are paying for it yourself!

Monte, yay for a great transfer!  I hope we get some great BFP news soon!!

rcr, when I was looking into Zofran for morning sickness yesterday, I asked my IVF pharmacy how much it would be out of pocket.  They asked me what size 4mg or 8mg, since I didn't have a script I had them look up both.  Well, 30 pills of the 4mg was $136 and 30 pills of the 8mg was $66.  I was like "what?!?, I get more drugs for less???"  They said perhaps that dosage is more common or they manufacture more of it, but I was really surprised by that fact.  Glad you found out you can get a double fill for the same price!!!

Thinking lots of positive thoughts for everyone!!!

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#302 of 1307 Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Belly - I said it over on the other thread but i'll say it here too.. glad you found something to help you feel better!  Not good when you can't function especially when you have a little one to take care of.

Silver - Who knows if the blood tests got sorted out or not.  I'll probably not know until i see a bill from the insurance company.  That sucks about the NSH (what does that stand for by the way?).  I would probably do some with your private clinic if you can while you are waiting to get back on the list if you can make it work.  Good luck!!  Let us know how your appt goes.  I also hope your first day back to work goes smoothly!!

Monte - That sounds great!!!  You may be the next one to end up with twins!!!!  When's your beta?  They didn't give you anything but valium?  No IV or anything? 

Laggie - so sorry to hear the news.  Even though you kinda knew it is still hard to stomach.  I hope you can enjoy the month off and live it up b/c you know the next month you won't be able to!!!   Keep us posted.

Mole - how are you doing?  What's going on with you now?

Praying - how are you doing today??  DS doing better today?

rcr - No BCP b/c lupron does the same thing as bcp w/ suppressing your system, i guess and my RE doesn't use them.  So they are just suppressing me so I won't ovulate with the next cycle and they will just be building up my lining like mad to make a good spot for that or those babes to dig in deep.  I don't really understand the whole thing either.

AFM - still waiting to hear about those blood tests I had done last week and the week before.  I'd think I'd hear this week, but who knows. I hate to say that I kinda hope they find something but I kinda do b/c then at least I'd have an answer.   I also am totally ovulating on the Left side today and it stinks b/c we can't do anything about it.  No BD'ing this month so it kinda sucks b/c it sure feels like I'm spitting out a couple eggs b/c man am I sore today!!  Oochhh!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#303 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 AM

Oh Laggie- I'm so very sorry. Please be gentle with yourself. Good luck deciding if you want to move forward with donor sperm.

Silver- It's so exciting that you have an appointment at a private clinic! I hope everything goes fast and easy for you from now on. It's so horrible for you that you have to start over again in the NHS queue. I hope everything works so fast for you at the private clinic that you never make it to the front of the public queue.  

Monte- Luck luck luck! This clinic's treatments sounds like they are working wonderfully for you! Stick little ones!

Nothing much here- The phone call I was looking forward to so much was anti-climactic :). The secretary told me we are officially on the IVF waiting list and we will probably have our first consultation meeting with our doctor right after Christmas, and there is a letter coming to us now that will tell us when the appointment is. My sweetheart's second sperm test was "OK" and she wouldn't give me any other information than that. Not even if it improved from his first test, just that it was "OK". She said that after our consultation meeting it will be about 3-4 months until we start our IVF treatments. I hope they will let us try IUI while we are waiting for our turn at IVF. Now looking forward to that letter and the appointment :).

#304 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM

Sorry i'm behind but i don't have a lot of time to spend on personals today. I just wanted to check in and say...

Laggie, I'm so sorry :o( I'm hoping that you find an alternative route...do you think that iuis are a possibility?

Blue, I hate waiting too! Can you call to ask? Did they give you an idea of when the results would get back to you?

Monte, yah for a great transfer!! Let us know how many frozen embies you end up with. DH and I always name our embies too. these last two from the FET were Angel and Halo.

Praying, noooo. How are you feeling? I'm hoping that it wasn't an actual period but if it is, what is next? 

Ok, I have to rush to work. I am sad I missed a lot of people but i just wanted to let you guys know that i was thinking of you all and wishing you all the best. Let's get some BFPs!

Big hugs!!

Attempted induction at 38 weeks; ended up with a c-section.

In love with my baby boy Colin and baby girl Sienna!

love.gif

#305 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Monte - forgot to say, I am in Alabama, just over the border from ATL. We don't have any REs nearby, so we travel about 3 hours to get to her. ATL is actually closer. I don't know why I didn't go there in the first place. Early on I googled REs in ATL and Emery was the first that came up.I am glad to hear that you have been happy with them. We go to ATL quite a bit, for shopping, the farmers market, etc., since there are not many options in our town.

Blue - I thought I understood protocols, but now that I am on a new one with lupron I don't get it. Why would you want to supress your system (in my case) if I am trying to make a lot of eggs? I am on BCP as well as lupron.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#306 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Blue- They wouldn't let me even have valium at my transfer because of my reaction to the anesthetic at retrieval. All I got was hubby's hand to hold (which was nice and a preview of things to come), but some drugs would have been nice. It wasn't that bad though.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#307 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 AM

Next time you're in Atlanta, you should drop me a line and maybe we can meet up!

You asked this question to Blue, but I can answer it. My RE explained that the reason they suppress your natural system is so that they can precisely control how much of the hormones are in your system and when. If they let your body release hormones naturally in addition to the supplemental drugs, they would never be sure exactly how much you had, and you might ovulate spontaneously at a time when they could not retrieve the eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

Monte - forgot to say, I am in Alabama, just over the border from ATL. We don't have any REs nearby, so we travel about 3 hours to get to her. ATL is actually closer. I don't know why I didn't go there in the first place. Early on I googled REs in ATL and Emery was the first that came up.I am glad to hear that you have been happy with them. We go to ATL quite a bit, for shopping, the farmers market, etc., since there are not many options in our town.

Blue - I thought I understood protocols, but now that I am on a new one with lupron I don't get it. Why would you want to supress your system (in my case) if I am trying to make a lot of eggs? I am on BCP as well as lupron.

Tess - Mom to Charlie (8/12/08)

#308 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Monte - that would be fun to get together. I guess that makes sense about the BCP, but I am doing lupron for the whole time I am stimming. Maybe it is so that I don't stim too fast?

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#309 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 AM

I also did Lupron the whole time I stimmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

Monte - that would be fun to get together. I guess that makes sense about the BCP, but I am doing lupron for the whole time I am stimming. Maybe it is so that I don't stim too fast?

#310 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 10:59 AM

rcr, I was also on Lupron the whole time with my successful fresh cycle and FET cycle!

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#311 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I believe the Lupron keeps the eggs from actually releasing (this is what the Dr calls ovulation), otherwise they would all stop growing as soon as one egg had "popped out." The stims make the eggs develop, the Lupron keeps them sitting pretty in the ovaries. They don't want you to ovulate, they want to suck the eggs out of the ovaries with the needle. If you ovulate it's game over. At least, that's how I understand it.

My RE doesn't do drugs for the transfer, I didn't find it uncomfortable at all, aside from having to pee. Not like the retrieval, that hurt quite a bit. They gave me some kind of valium type drug so I was relaxed for that, but it still hurt.

Blue - I must have missed something, why no DTD this month?

mole - I hope you get an appointment soon, that seems fairly quick. Waiting lists here are about 2 months for an appointment. "OK" sounds good to me, but then DP's are more in the range of "dismal" so...

Silver - sorry you have so much bureaucracy to deal with, it seems pretty silly that they would put you at the bottom of the list!

Montessortof - Go Ember and Amber!! 7 to freeze, I'm so jealous!

The RE's office called with a possible appointment for us today, but I don't think DP called them back in time. It will probably be in the new year... I'm not even sure what we want to do. DP is still unemployed (since March!) and that is starting to stress me out in a big way. His severance pay is almost gone and then we'll be kind of screwed. I really don't want to move (again) but we can't afford our current place on my salary. This is turning into a very depressing December.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#312 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 02:53 PM

Laggie - No dtd this month b/c we start Lupron and I guess they don't want us to get pregnant on Lupron (it would a total miracle if we did anyways).  We will be doing our frozen transfer the first week or so in Jan.  That is why we can't BD.  Well, we can BD but only with a rain-suit!!  LOL. Sorry to hear about your rough month.  Didn't DH have a interview recently?  How did that go, no job?  Fingers crossed for you that something gets worked out so you can stay put and continue.

rcr - yep, looks like you got your answer.  I was working today so no time for MDC until now so i'm glad some others jumped in.  The lupron will keep you from ovulating until they want you to.  It is all confusing for sure.  I still don't know if i totally understand it all to begin with, but i know the Drs do so i just have to follow their lead and trust them.  I think some practices use both lupron and  bcps.  I have always been on lupron all the way up until my trigger. I don't think I have to trigger this FET though and I did the last one.

Renavoo - i did call the nurse.  See my below AFM.  I guess they take like a wk or so to get results so they got a couple and are still waiting on the one the lab messed up on which was drawn a week later.  Hope you aren't going too crazy with work and are getting some rest too.

Mole - sorry to hear that the call "was anti-climactic".  Where do you live again?  Are you in Canada???

Deborah - i was in pain and they had me half-way out of it.  Can't even imagine!!!  Check out my AFm and let me know if this is the same thing that you have and how are they treating you?  Prednisone?  How much?

AFM - Well, I know this sounds crazy, but I'm excited b/c i have something wrong!!joy.gif  I know, it sounds crazy, but I just talked to my RE's nurse and she said that they are still waiting on my Natural killer cells to come back, but I guess my Antithyroid Antibodies (ATA) is a little higher then they like it to be.  She didn't think they would treat it any different then I'm already being treated (50mg of synthroid once a day), but am going to try and do some research and see exactly what the heck that means.  I'm kinda clueless on that stuff so i feel like I need to educate myself so when my RE calls me I can ask the right questions.  I know that RE's feel differently on whether or not your immune system can play a part in a person getting pregnant and carrying a baby so it is kinda a taboo subject.  I think my RE is one that doesn't feel that it makes a difference but  I know there are some out there (a select few) that actually do feel it plays a big role.  So we will see.  I know when we got pregnant with our twin boys i was on prednisone for sinus issues and I always have wondered if that made a difference and YES i have told all the RE's that i have seen this too and no one listens to me!!!  (probably a total of 3-4 different RE's).  So we will see what happens next.  I know i have read that if you Natural killer cells are also off they can do IVIg  treatments before starting meds and then once more after pregnancy is confirmed.  Let me know if any of you know any more about all of this.

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

#313 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 PM

Blue- Yes, it is the ATA and I am on 15 mg. Prednisone a day (not sure how long I will be on it.) That's a question to ask tomorrow. I didn't get put on it until 6 weeks along. Not sure why. I am sure I read it somewhere. My understanding is that it doesn't necessarily prevent pregnancy except for the fact that it can create a low-functioning thyroid which isn't good for fertility. However, my RE said that sometimes those antibodies get confused and attack the baby instead of the thyroid (essentially you have an allergic reaction to baby) and it can cause miscarriage. So, yes, it's excellent they found it. It may help prevent any losses in the future.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#314 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM

Sorry, I've been a bit MIA. I got AF today. So it looks like I start estrogen priming and antagonist (instead of lupron) on christmas day. I'm guessing stims will be within a few days of new years I'll call in my day 1 tomorrow and go from there. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy box I get mailed from the pharmacy: estrogen patches, antagonist shots, femara, vaginal estrogen suppositories, ovidrel and progesterone in oil shots! Sort of like christmas, but , er, not.

Anyone do acu before and after transfer at their clinic? I think I'm going to have them set it up. I found an info sheet they included in my folder and it said that the people doing it have a signifiicantly increased pregnancy rate. I think they have 2 practitioners that will come to the clinic. I need to see how much it is, but it can't be that much in the grand scheme of IVF! I do acu weekly anyway. The study said it didn't know if doing acupuncture later at a separate place is as effective as right before and right after.

Blue: I hope the issue they found solves your problems! :-) 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#315 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 02:40 AM

Vegan, I did acu before and after the transfer. The clinic I went to had an acu suite right in the building so I just went to them. I did it before my BFN and my BFP and I've seen studies that say it works and some that say it doesn't. I still did it however, because, hey, it couldn't hurt anyway and it felt good. So definitely go get it done!!

Blue, isn't it funny that you WANT something to be wrong? haha I agree though...that is good news. Hopefully, you'll get your BFP soon and a beautiful baby (or babies as is the trend) 9 months after! i definitely don't know much about ATAs but antibodies whenever you have a foreign body growing in you, like a baby, makes me nervous just because I think that the body may recognize it as foreign, as Deborah says. I think that is the rationale when it comes to the RH factors too, right?

Laggie, hug2.gif Please don't lose hope. I know it really does feel like it's a bad December but hopefully things will turn around. Can DP get a temporary job in order to start bulking up the finances? Maybe that will make you feel better? It's such a stressful time that i hope that you guys get a little ray of sunshine to cheer up your month!!

Big hugs, ladies!

Attempted induction at 38 weeks; ended up with a c-section.

In love with my baby boy Colin and baby girl Sienna!

love.gif

#316 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Blue - um, yay for something being wrong with you, lol. Seriously, I hope this solves your problems. Why was this not tested after your first loss, if it leads to m/c. Now that you say it, I am wondering why I was never tested. I am going to ask my RE about it.

Laggie - I am so sorry, again. I know somebody already said it, but what about IUIs with donor sperm? Would you DH be against that?

Vegan - I would have done acu before and after transfer but our RE is 3 hours away and the acu lady is in our town, so the distance didn't work because by the time we got home she was closed. Not that I am a fan of our acu lady, but I don't think it hurts, so why not try? It is relaxing anyway.

AFM - last day of BCP today! yay!

#317 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Blue- I was also glad when they found out what was wrong with me, well after the frustration with my body not cooperating in a bunch of ways. Vegan- I did acu before and after, but I had also been doing it a couple of weeks ahead of time and am still doing it. I pay $70 each time, but it was different for the before and after. I think it was $250 if you just wanted the before and after or you could get a significant discount on future treatments by paying for a package that included before and after and 3 follow-up treatments for $325. Definitely expensive, but at the very least you know you did everything you could to make that BFP happen and to sustain it.

#318 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Just a quick one here as I'm running out the door and I will do personals later when I have more time.

So I got the exact numbers from the nurse and my TPO antibodies is what is high.  I guess normally they want it below 5.6 and mine is 310.  She said that my Dr says that is fine and it doesn't sound like he is going to be doing anything differently which I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that.  The fact that I also have a positive ANA, hypothyroid and now add this to the mix just makes me wonder if all of it isn't related to our issues.  Still waiting on the Natural killer cells to come back. 

#319 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM

Blue it seems crazy to me that thr RE would agree to do the testing and then not want to do anything about the results!..... Seriously then why did he waste your time if he didnt care??....... I would be very upset about that!! redface.gif
#320 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

blue - what the what?  He tested you... found it was too high... then nothing?  That doesn't sound right to me at all (but what do I know?)  I've got hypothyroid too (yay for synthroid!) but I've never heard of the ATA thing.  5.6 to 310 sounds like a huge difference to me!

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

***4***8**12***16***20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#321 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Blue I wouldn't be happy about that either. Can you get a second opinion?

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#322 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 AM

My RE found antithyroid antibodies also. My level was around 50. I'd never been diagnosed with any thyroid problems before. She put me on levothyroxine, but told me not to worry about it, because if you have a serious problem your level would be well over 1,000.

#323 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Identical twins! Both look great! 

#324 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

rcr - we have talked a little bit about donor sperm. In a way I would like to do it, it would be sooo much easier... but then on the other hand it's hard to give up the genetic baby. I really really want HIS baby, yk? I know, it would still be HIS but not in the same way where it has his nose or whatever. I would worry that whatever problems the child had, would be blamed on donor genetics. We have a follow up appointment Dec 20th so I will bring it up then, so we are clear on the costs etc.

I was looking at some of the sperm bank websites yesterday, and I was a bit freaked out by the commercialization of it. All these extra fees for every little thing, buy 6 get one free, that kind of stuff. It seems so surreal. Although I would be really happy to never do another injection cycle.

I think we will hold off on making any decision until DH has a job... For one thing, we'll know what we're dealing with financially, and also I think donor sperm might be too much of a blow to his ego right now.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#325 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Deborah! That's wonderful! Does that mean that one of the transfers split?

Letter arrived today! Appointment in 2 weeks!!!

#326 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM

Posting from my phone.

Deborah - Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! You put two back in right? So are they in the same sac is that how they know they are identical?

Mole - yay for your appt in two weeks!

Thanks everyone for your comments! I actually was the one that found these tests on another RE'S website who does believe in immune issues and pregnancy troubles (like 2 states away). I think my RE did them just to appease me and didn't think that anything would come back positive. I love my RE and he has done nothing else but try and help us and has been very generous too, but this just bothers me that his views are that the immune system has nothing to do with IF. I may try and get a phone consult with him soon to discuss my feelings and fears especially since this is our last shot. Still waiting for the killer cells to come back and if that is also positive then I really may flip and be pissed no one ever checked it before!

#327 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM

Deborah!!!! That is so exciting!!! I'm so happy for you!

Laggie, have you thought about using sperm from a donor related to DH? Does he have a brother or a cousin who would be willing to donate? People have different views about this, I know. Some people think it would be really weird or awkward to have your BIL's baby. On the other hand, some people prefer to have a baby that is at least genetically related to the father if not his own.

AFM, I'm just waiting and waiting. Yesterday, my best friend told me she's pregnant, after just two months of being off birth control and not really "trying." I'm thrilled for her, but it's just so frustrating that things are not that easy for me. On the other hand, if I get pregnant from this IVF cycle, we will be due just 3 weeks apart! That gives me some hope and excitement (even though she lives in a different state).

#328 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Belly: Yes I hope to start soon!

Blue: Sorry I’m dyslexic it’s NHS for National Health Service.  My first couple of days back went OK but I’m rushed off my feet already and still have about 50 unread e-mails.  Glad your finally getting some answers.  I don’t think it’s mad to want to find out what’s wrong, I work with disabled children and it’s such a relief for their parents when they get a diagnosis.  I definitely think you should see about talking to an RE who is specialist in your results.

Hope your feeling better.

Mole: Thanks.  Good news on your appointment being so soon!

Laggie: It’s a pain but a least things can go faster with my privet clinic.  I think there are some American sperm banks that do home delivery so you don’t have to pay for IUI (though it will have lower success rates).  If you use a known donor make sure they get tested for diseases and check out the legal situation.  The advantage of donor in a bank is that they test for diseases and some hereditary conditions and only use those with high sperm counts (the disadvantage is the cost!).  I’m so sorry your DH is still out of work, hope things turn around soon.  It is a bit weird buying sperm isn’t it! I liked Cryos because they didn’t charge extra to see all the info.  I think your right to wait a bit while your dh job hunts, it’s an expensive business isn’t it?

Deb: congrats on your twins! Apparently IVF does make twins more common, even with SET there is a 2.3% twin rate.

Monte: it’s hard when friends are pregnant isn’t it.  Fingers crossed for this cycle for you!

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

#329 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Blue and Mole- Yes, they are sharing a sac which means that one embryo took and split and that the other embryo didn't take. Silver- Just a reminder, I prefer not to be called Deb. Not sure if I said it on this thread or another one, so you may not have known. Debbie or Deborah are fine.

#330 of 1307 Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM

RCR- Can you update my Winter BFP to state identical twins please? Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page