Winter IVF Thread : Bring on the BFPs! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

RCR: LOL! I was totally thinking about that when I was reading your post. Our couch faces out and we live on a street with lots of foot traffic! Could be bad. LOL.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi all,

not much to say from me.  Made it through my first week at work although I'm already doing overtime.

Just wanted to ask if anyone had any tips on what to ask in my planning meeting?

Monte: Good luck with you tww!

Aura: Sorry your not catching a break with your follicles.  And how horrible about AF and food posioning.  Dose your doc have any ideas about the follices.

And hi and hope your doing well to everyone else.

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 AM

RCR: What a pain, stopping and starting like that. I hope that third time is the charm for you.

Deborah: Exciting to get so many ultrasounds! It will certainly be reassuring to see them again.

Vegan: Great news! I'm glad everything is okay.

Aura: Good luck with the diet and gym plan. Low carb has always worked really well for me in the past, though it is hard for me to stick to it long-term.

Praying: Oh, that is miserable. I'm so sorry you all got sick, and doubly sorry for AF. Are you using Lupron together with the BCP's? That should suppress everything, maybe you should ask your doctor about it?

AFM, nothing new to report. I am starting to get nervous about my lack of symptoms.

Tess - Mom to Charlie (8/12/08)

Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Monte- Yes, it is nice to get lots of ultrasounds. I hope when I go back to my OB he also does frequent ones. I was originally not going to have one until next week, but then the RE decided that since we're having twins she wanted to do one this week as well. Can't complain there :-). I also have acupuncture right after, so I'm hoping that will reduce the amount of cramping I get afterward. Aura- I hope things get on a positive path for you as the cycle goes on and I'm sorry you are having to deal with AF and illness.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Blue - you ok? Just busy? haven't seen you around here.

Silver - I would ask the RE about DHEA. I credit it for lowering my fsh drastically, and it is cheap and can't hurt. My RE doesn't really believe in it, but she said that if I want to try it there is no harm in taking it. You have to get the compounded kind that is only made in one place (in the US), so I don't know how it works in other countries. And you have to be on it for a few months to see any difference. That's my 2 cents.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Silver- I was on DHEA and it definitely made a difference for me, so I say go for it.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 AM

rcr - you are sweet!!  Yes, it has been a crazy busy couple weeks.  Work has really picked up b/c of the holiday and then I've been trying to get my paperwork done for my 2nd opinion phone consult which is next Monday the 19th so i think I'm pretty much done with that and just have to scan it all and email it over to that dr.  I'm trying to figure out if i should have my records from my current RE sent too.  I kinda feel weird asking b/c i'm really not planning on leaving him but it is just kinda awkward.  So is this the right time for you to be bleeding or is this just b/c of all the stopping and starting bcp?

Silver - i agree with rcr on the DHEA.  I was taking that too for my last cycle and we got better results with our eggs.  I'd ask, can't hurt.

Vegan - glad your tests all came back good and now you can get moving!!!  Yay!!!

Praying - crap!!! I was really hoping that this was going to be your month.  HOw miserable you all sounded from that food poisoning!  I've never had it (knock on wood) but heard it is awful.  Sending you lots of hugs.hug2.gif

Aura - nice job on the diet and exercise.  You go girl.  I have been a slacker on exercising b/c i've been so busy but i do get daily walks in at least with the pup.  Keep up the good work.  What is next for you guys? Any news on DH's job situation?

AFM - Hi to everyone else.  I have to run b/c i have a f/u appt for my stupid spots in a bit here and then have to work this afternoon.  I'm just getting ready for my phone consult next monday the 19th (somewhere between 5pm-8pm EST).  Still trying to figure out if i should have all my records sent to him from my current RE (like i said above) b/c it is just awkward and i feel kinda bad asking. It's not that we are planning to leave but i just feel weird asking even though  i know i shouldn't.  They are my records and all but still.  I don't want it to be awkward. 

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Blue: It's not wierd at all. Have them sent! You are your own advocate! I find you are really just a number to these big clinics. No one will get their feelings hurt if you get a 2nd opinion. 

I'm on DHEA too. I didn't buy any specially compounded stuff though. Just found it at a vitamin shop. My RE reccomends it - didn't mention anything about buying some special kind? My follicle count seemed to have jumped since I started it but I don't know if it was coincidental or not. Just hoping it works it's magic by January. :-)

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Blue - yea, I am supposed to be bleeding. When they told me my cycle was canceled last time I had already taken like 5 bcp, so I could either just stop taking them, which would make me bleed, and then I would have to wait for AF to show up again (so, like 5 weeks). the other choice was to just stay on the BCP for 2 weeks, go off them for a week (which is now), so that I did not get over-suppressed. Then start them again for the regular IVF cycle. So that is what I am doing. I start BCP again on Thursday.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Hi all...  Okay, finally a minute to do personals!

Blue:  Thanks for thinking of me.  I think that the idea of a second opinion is an excellent idea.  I would ask for your recorods if I were you.  Any good and confident physician welcomes second opinions.  They are not threatened by them.  If your RE is competant, and I am sure she is, she would have no issue with providing you with copies of your records.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Monte:  How is the dreaded 2ww going?  Don't panic over lack of symptoms!  You know it is way too early for that.  I had not a single twinge with DS and that was with the progesterone.  Wishing great things for you!  I can not believe what the RN said to you about the PIO shots.  The nurses in my RE's office would not dare dispense advise like that without consulting him first.  He would have their head...  The plan is for me to start the lupron, but after 21 days of the BCP's alone.  At this rate, I don't know if I will ever get there.  Glad you got the news that you wanted and don't have to do the shots!

Renavoo:  How was your visit with your mom for her birthday?  Hope that you both had a nice time.  I know she is sick, but I am sure that somewhere deep inside she knows you were there to share her birthday with her.  How are you feeling?

RCR:  I was laughing so hard reading about giving yourself the PIO shots.  I can just see myself trying that and tumbling off the couch face first, butt flashing the world!  The tricks we come up with!  I may have to try it though, if I ever get to that point.  As I mentioned before, I work evenings, so I am going to have to give the shots to myself as DH will be home with DS.  Don't know where I will lock myself away here.  Thought about the car, but with my luck, that would be the exact time that security will patrol the parking garage.  Oh well, if I ever get to that point, I am sure that I will figure it out.  I really hope this is your cycle!  Goodness knows, your clinic has delayed things enough.

Vegan: Yay for no lovenox and good results to your tests so far.  Have you gotten the results to the rest yet?

Aura:  Good luck with the gym and diet.  It is so hard, expecially this time of year when everyone is baking and sharing goodies.  Like you said, keep your eye on the prize.  I know what you mean about being happy for your preggo friends but sad for you.  Two friends just had babies and another is due in February.  I love them and celebrate with them...then secretly cry for myself.

Silver:  Good luck with your planning meeting.  When is it?  My best advice is to write down any and all of your questions and bring them with you to the meeting.  It is easy to forget your questions when you get there.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

AFM:  Nothing new to report.  No bleeding yet from stopping the BCP's but I am sure it is not that far away.  We shall see.  I don't know how all of you are able to tolerate the DHEA.  I just could not do it.  I felt so greasy.  My face was so greasy, I would wipe it with alchohol pads all day.  I broke out with really bad acne.  I just had to stop it.  I could not stand it.  You guys don't have that?  Maybe I am just a wimp???  Have another cold.  Feel ok during the day, but not great.  Night time stinks.  I have all this junk going down my throat choking me and I cough for hours...  Thank goodness DH can sleep through anything!  Take care..talk soon!

Finally...pos.gif!  Can't wait to meet the new member of our family.joy.gif

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32*heartbeat.gif*36***40

Old 12-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Babies are doing great! I will post ultrasound pictures later. Baby A had a bpm of 155 and Baby B of 161. We actually got to hear them this time! Also, baby A showed off his/her feet paddles and kind of waved them at us and Baby B did the same with his/her hand paddles. The ultrasound tech said next week they'll probably be bouncing around. My RE said to keep up what I'm doing because it's obviously working. I am also now allowed to walk for 20 minutes 3x/week with the admonition to scale things back if I start hurting on one side or the other.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Great news, Deborah. So nice that you got to hear them.

Praying - hmmm, I can't think of any advice for giving yourself a PIO shot at work. That will be tricky. Maybe you can do some "creative" leaning against a bathroom stall wall or door. Do you have an office that locks? That would be a good place if you do. I have an office that locks, and I work at a university, so when I close my door there are always dozens of people in the hallways (it is a busy hallway across from a big classroom). I pumped at work for a year when I was nursing DS, and once a computer guy walked in on me and once a cleaning staff lady walked in on me. They always knock first, but when I was pumpong I always just ignored them because I had like at least 5 students knocking on my door every time I pumped. It is not like I could just say "go away" or something and not open the door, so I just ignored it. But the cleaning staff and computer guys have keys to everybody's office. oops. That is totally off-topic, but your post of giving yourself shots at work reminded me of that.

Oh, and I don't think i feel gassier than usual, or greasier than usual with DHEA, but I do get the occasional big annoying outbreak of acne. You would think that at 37 that would have stopped, but it happens.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:09 AM

Thanks all for talking about DHEA! I hadn't read about it before. This is what Wiki says about DHEA:

Female reproductive health

Since 2000, DHEA supplementation has been used in reproductive medicine in combination with gonadotropins as a way to treat female infertility. [16]The hormone is believed to act on the chromosomal integrity of eggs, creating healthier embryos and increasing the chances of a successful pregnancy. [17] A study released in 2010 from Tel Aviv University showed that women who took DHEA supplements prior to an infertility treatment were three times more likely to conceive than those who did not. [18] Additionally, studies conducted by the Center for Human Reproduction in New York found that women with poor ovarian reserve who were supplemented with DHEA four to 12 weeks prior to an IVF cycle had a 22% reduction in number of chromosomally abnormal embryos and a 50-80% reduction in miscarriages. [19][20]

This sounds amazing, and I should start taking it! Can those of you taking it detail which brand and dosage you are taking?

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

I am taking compounded DHEA from Belmar pharmacy in Colorado. Apparently they have the paitent on compounded DHEA, so everybody who takes that kind gets it from there. I don't understand the difference between compounded and regular off the shelf. Isn't someone on here a pharmacist? Praying maybe?  Mine cists 37.00 for 60 pills (I take half a pill every 12 hours, so one pill a day).

I wish I had started taking it much earlier. I have only been on it for 3 months, but hopefully that is just the time I need for this cycle.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 AM

I don't seem to have any side effects from the DHEA. I was terrified it would make me lose my hair bc the internet is peppered with stories about that. Though my RE's office told me their most common complaints are greasiness and acne - not hair loss. So I started off at a low dose and bumped up to the full dose 6 weeks ago. So far I've been fine. I think I may have a few pimples from it - but they are very small and not bothersome. I have really dry skin. 

Deborah: Glad you had another great u/s. Do they still think they are in one sac? 

Hanging out at home waiting for my meds to be delivered this morning. 

Cindy

Old 12-14-2011, 09:07 AM

RCR- I think 3 months is about how long I took it and I also got it from Belmar. They will have you stop it just prior to retrieval or timed intercourse or whatever you are doing I believe. It's problematic in pregnancy so they take you off of it when you have a good chance of conceiving (through IVF,IUI etc.). Okay, here's the ultrasound: We have one of each baby and one of them together. 

7week 6day Ultrasound-.png

Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 AM

Hi all,

I just noticed that CassnBeth is still listed on the first post in the "Gathering Information" section. I actually know them in real life (Beth is the one who told me about these message boards). Beth got pregnant on her second IVF attempt back in July, and is expecting a baby girl on February 29 (leap day!). She's posted occasionally in the March DDC board.

Deborah: Those are awesome ultrasound photos! Identical twins are so amazing!

RCR: I didn't realize you work at a university. Are you a professor? I teach at a law school.

AFM: Some small cramps today that are freaking me out. I am still planning to POAS tomorrow, and I am so nervous and also worried about false positives/negatives.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

monte - Implantation cramping?  Yay about cassnbeth!  I've wondered how they were doing.  Glad to hear things are going well!

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 AM

I agree that identical twins are amazing. DH had the biggest smile on his face when he was looking at those photos while I got my blood drawn!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 PM

So, this afternoon I was so tired that I came home from work early. I was just going to lie down for 10 minutes and then read a book or something until it was time to pick up my son from day care, but I ended up falling asleep for an hour and I woke up five minutes AFTER the latest "regular pickup" time, where they start charging you $1 per minute if you're not signed up for aftercare, which we are not. So I threw on my coat and shoes and FLEW out the door and into rush hour traffic and ended up getting there 22 minutes late and feeling like the worst mom ever. When I got home, I decided that the best way to feel like I was not the worst mom ever would be to find out that this is all explained by me being pregnant instead of just lazy and irresponsible, so I took the test I'd gotten to use tomorrow, and it was POSITIVE!!!!! Oh my gosh, I can't believe it!!! Solid pink line within seconds. I'm still a little bit worried it could be a false positive, but I will test again tomorrow and make sure.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Monte!!!!!!  YIPPEE!!!!  Congratulations!!!!  joy.gifjumpers.gifcarrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gif

How many days past 3dt are you??!?!!!!  Exhaustion was one of my first signs!

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Monte- Yay! Here's rooting for another clear positive tomorrow!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Today was 8 days after my 3 day transfer. So that makes 11 dpo, and 13 days after my trigger shot. I guess the HCG from the shot must be gone by now, which takes away a lot of the false positive fear, and the line was nearly as dark as the control line -- could it be twins? Ack! DH is going to flip out if it is.

I have betas on Saturday and Monday.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Monte:!!!!!!!! Woohooo!!!!! Trigger takes forever to metabolize for me. The 3 times I took ovidrel I got super duper faint lines on cheapies until 13 days later - but took forever to come up and sooo faint and the FRER never showed a line. So you are FOR SURE knocked up!!!! That is a dark line for 11 dpo!! Yay!!!! 

AFM: Got my gigantic box of meds today. I'm all set. Gotta admit, seeing all those needles sort of wigged me out. They're all for the PIO shots. Everything else is pre-mixed. 

Any been there done that ladies have any tips on surviving this whole process once it starts? 

Cindy

Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Vegan, I made a spreadsheet calendar that had all the drugs/dates/times.  It really helped me keep everything straight, and I am the type of person who loves to "check" stuff off a list :)  How exciting to be getting started!

Monte, I took my first test at 13 dpo and it was a little darker than the control...so I think you could certainly have twins in there!  Of course, there is no way to tell, not even off betas, until your u/s.  The waiting between each step is brutal!!!  I am so excited for you :)

ETA:  Monte, plus this wasn't even FMU!!!

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Monte:  Thread crashing to say "CONGRATS!!!"  That is awesome!!!  I would totally say that is a "real" BFP!!! LOL YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Monte - yay!!!! broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif You are totally pregnant! Congrats. I am so happy for you. (yes, I am a professor, btw - in fact I teach environmental policy. What a coincidence).

Vegan - yea that box freaks me out every time.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

oh, one more thing (well, two).

Vegan - when do you start suppression? I am excited to add you to the front page.

AFM - I start BCP tomorrow! yay.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 PM

RCR: I start suppression on Christmas day. 11 days. But I'm not counting or anything. ;-)

Cindy

Old 12-14-2011, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Thanks Vegan. I added you to the front.

And I guess I will add Cassandbeth to the summer BFPs. Glad to hear it worked!

User Tag List