TTC #2 & LPD: nightweaning enough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone with short luteal phases and a frequently nursing toddler has had success TTC with night weaning alone. I have been TTC for a few months, AF arrived today (was last chance of having baby before turning 37) and I am wondering about what routes to pursue. I charted for several months before conceiving DD, and my LP always ranged between 9-11 days. I know now that we were *incredibly* lucky to have conceived on the first month. My period came back after about 14 months, I am not able to chart BBT due to nighttime waking but I have been tracking my CF - incredibly long fertile phase but then LP of 9 days. I read online that this is a classic cycle of having high prolactin levels - DD is 21months and is in daycare, but nurses a lot when we are together, including at night. We have been up and down with nightweaning attempts over the last few months, we were having some success ( and she and I were apart this past weekend for 2 days - i read that sudden changes help your levels more than gradual), but last night she was nursing forever and I can't help but wonder if that brought on AF this morning. greensad.gif I have been on 100mg of vitB this past month, i live in Canada and have not seen OTC progesterone cream or Vitex. I am thinking of consulting my PCP & checking hormone levels, but she is pretty traditional, will likely suggest weaning entirely before trying other routes. Have other people gotten pg with LPD just via night weaning? Did you have to cut down on other daytime nursings and/or go with Clomid? what about acupuncture/TCM? Also, did you have to keep up the nightweaning to stay pg/not miscarry? I am hoping to hear of happy results...sorry for long post, just wanting to map out options before losing too many cycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM

hug2.gif  I was in the exact same situation, except I had already night weaned.  I did the acupuncture/TCM route but I"m not sure if it did anything.  I also did natural progesterone cream and B6.  I even ended up weaning my daughter.  But, I just did "don't offer don't refuse", so she let me know if she wasn't ready since I wasn't so sure I wanted to actively wean her.  

Even after weaning her, my LP was still short.  I had one random 12 day LP, but the rest were no more than 10.  I went to an OB and got a prescription for prometrium.  The first cycle I took it, my LP was 12 days.  The second cycle, I conceived, but ended up with a missed miscarriage at 8.5 weeks.  

I think if I were to do it all again, I'd go straight in to get the prometrium and wouldn't wean at all.  I do think that the prometrium would probably hurt my supply, but since my DD was older, I would have been ok with that.  

Good luck!  

S (35yo) wife to T (36yo) and mamma to my princess M (5/10/10).  After 3 losses in 2012, found an AMAZING doctor and gave birth to baby sister S on 11/12/13.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt reply and hug! I will ask my doc about prometrium and hold steady against weaning suggestions, and not stress too much about the nightweaning. My daughter is definitely far from ready to wean - I never offer but she always asks ("nursing! nursing!")...it would be awful to force a break just to get up to my original iffy LP and still take months to conceive. Sounds like the progesterone could do the job. From what I have read online, you can't get your period while you're on it, so being on it will buy those extra days...which is all I need, right? (in theory - knock wood that there are no other factors lurking beneath!) I am already finding that just being on vitb is diminishing my supply, unless her latch/sucking has suddenly changed, and she isn't complaining, so I don't think she will be fussed on that front. I'll update to let folks know how it goes.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

PS I just noticed in your signature that your missed m/c was just this month...!! I'm so sorry to hear. greensad.gif I hope you're starting to feel a bit better and have a good support network. Are you going to take a few months off from TTC?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:36 PM

When I took the progesterone the first month, my LP was 12 days, but I actually started spotting the last day I took the progesterone and then AF showed up the next day.  I think usually, you are supposed to test the last day of the pills and if + keep taking it, if negative stop and AF will show up in a few days.  

My TTC plan is to wait for my first post D&C AF and then start trying again.  I really wanted my kids to be about 2 years apart.  That's not how life has worked out, but I'd like to have them as close as possible, so we are going to try again ASAP.  

I hope you have success with the progesterone and you are able to continue nursing.

Good luck!

S (35yo) wife to T (36yo) and mamma to my princess M (5/10/10).  After 3 losses in 2012, found an AMAZING doctor and gave birth to baby sister S on 11/12/13.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - good luck to you too!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I would update this thread, in case anyone was reading it for advice, to say that I am finally 5wks along - finished a months-long gradual weaning about a year after my first post and 2, 2.5 months later got pg (probably the same day I visited a RE!). FYI the Prometrium I took in the fall for some months didn't really help (prescribed by gyn) and the RE said that oral progesterone is better for menopause, for LPD vaginal suppositories are way better as they go directly there and create a more sustained lift in prog levels than the spike that oral pills give. He also said that the clinic wouldn't really count the first 13 months we were trying because I hadn't weaned and you never know the impact that can have. So that's bad news for extended nursers struggling with secondary infertility, though if you know your luteal phase is 10 days or shorter (12 days from a pos OPK) then try the vag progesterone. The RE said "if that's your problem then the progesterone will fix it immediately, you'll know because you got pg that cycle."

Tags
Infertility
User Tag List