Treating other PCOS symptoms (besides infertility) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi. I'm looking for advice/others who have PCOS and how you've dealt with the symptoms NOT relating to fertility. 

I'm 22 and was diagnosed with PCOS back when I was 19. I had ultrasounds and hormone tests done and I have ALL the symptoms except for the excessive hair growth. Pretty textbook case actually.

I am still having troubles managing my symptoms. I got the acne under the control with a BC pill (no more pimples!!) but my weight is bothering me. I'm 240 lb. I'm giving myself a year to have SIGNIFICANT weight loss and if I don't, I'm getting weight loss surgery done. I've already been approved by a nutritionist, a doctor, and a psychologist for the surgery if that is what I decide. I worked my way up recently to 2000mg of Metformin a day. It's still causing nausea in me but I have lost some weight. What dosages of Metformin are you on? I am very, very insulin resistant. Eating pasta will cause my blood sugar to SPIKE like you'd never believe.

I've been having problems trying to find support for my PCOS problems because all the boards on it are centered on how to get pregnant while I am only trying to get ALL of my symptoms under control. Due to major genetic issues in my family as well as my own personal factors, I have chosen not to have children at all or pursue ways to preserve my fertility. I am with a wonderful boyfriend who supports my choice and just wants me to be healthy and happy. I just want to stop having the occasional cyst, get my weight down to 160, control the hormone fluctuations, and make it so I DON'T get Diabetes in the future. I am terrified of that.

I hope I'm not going to be banned or anything. I am just looking for PCOS support from people who have struggled with the symptoms, regardless if they are TTC or not. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 09:23 PM

I have had great success with Estrosense, a herbal medication. I took 4 pills a day and it eliminated virtually all my symptoms (I know you aren't concerned with fertity, but it regulated my cycles to a "perfect" 27-28 days, and I got pregnant with my youngest on the first try). I haven't noticed any side effects to the medication. Walking lots also seemed to help.

#3 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to get my cycles to normal. Even if you are not TTC, I think it's a great thing to have!! Congrats on getting pregnant!

I got my period for the first time when I was 11, and I was never, ever "normal" so I hope that someday, I can be. I like being able to predict my hormone cycle and "when it comes". I am normal now but I am on the Pill and I know I can't stay on that forever so I would like to be "normal" without the BC pill. I will definitely check out the herbal medication that you mentioned.

How have you lost weight? I am doing a low carb diet and metformin but it's soooo slow. 

#4 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would love to do something about this stupid facial hair. I'm a GIRL. I'm not supposed to have a MUSTACHE! I'm hoping to save up and do electrolysis in a few years.

I'm enjoying not having a period right now - my last was in July of 2010. I've been pregnant and breastfeeding since then. I have tried Vitex in the past, but it didn't do anything much for me.

I just got back on Metformin about a month ago and I've already lost 5 pounds. Metformin makes me lose weight like crazy. I was at my lowest weight ever before I got pregnant with DD thanks to it and now I'm hovering around my peak again. Nothing fits right and I feel frumpy no matter what I'm wearing. I'm really looking forward to dropping a size or two.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#5 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to hear about the excessive hair. :( I am not sure why I don't have any. When I was diagnosed, I had some "peach fuzz" on my back but it was not visible and it's gone now. My testosterone level is rather high too so I don't know why I don't have a mustache trying to come in.

I have lost about 4 lb on the Metformin already on this dosage. I was doing 500-1000mg for a LONG time but it was immediate release so i kept getting ill. The extended release seems to be much better. I hope I can continue to lose weight on it like you have!

I am just so desperate to get healthier again. When I was 10, before pubery set in, I was so lean, fit, healthy, and full of energy. I really want to get closer to that that in terms of energy and fitness. Being 160 lb would be such a blessing and I know I'd look and FEEL great!

#6 of 6 Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Hi kitkat, I've done some research on different supplements and written a brief review of the literature.  I am trying to get pregnant, so the focus is definitely on cycle regulation.  However, most of the research I link to references the effects of different supplements not just on ovulation but also on inflammation, oxidative stress, and insulin resistance - all integral to controlling PCOS.  Most of the research on these supplements also document success in lowering BMIs, testosterone, insulin sensitivity, blood glucose, etc. 

http://returntogobaby.com/supplements/

Also, I just bought a book that has helped me plan my meals.  Turns out I am eating the right food, just not in the right proportions.  This book lists suggestions for appropriate breakfast, lunch, and dinners, as well as snacks.  I found it to be incredibly helpful. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-PCOS-Diet-Plan-Polycystic/dp/158761023X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333946007&sr=8-3

Hope this helps!

Me (33) + Him (34) = US 10.3.09

Trying to conceive since 1.6.11.  Diagnosed as phlegm stagnant with PCOS and a blocked tube.

First loss on 3.5.12. Second loss on 5.19.12. Cautiously optimistic that the 3rd time really is a charm. EDD 8.7.2013.

BFPChart2.gif http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/krunchyk

blogging.jpg www....

Tags
Infertility

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page