Chinese Herbs- Particularly Women's Precious - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here is what's in it: http://www.gfcherbs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_gf_formulas_info&products_id=10415&zenid=0d2026bf72f7efd4e757b3039da3eada. My acupuncturist recommended this, but I was concerned b/c it said not to take it while pregnant. However, other sources say simply to proceed with caution and it's a relatively low dose. I am not currently pregnant, but am TTC and in my 2ww. Has anyone had experience with this and did you have side effects?

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My acupuncturist gives me herbal powders that she mixes herself for each part of my cycle, so I take something every day.  It seems like everything says don't take if you are pregnant.  I would guess that it's safe if your acupuncturist recommended it and knows any other supplements you are taking.  Did they tell you to take it all month long or during any particular part of your cycle?

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Just in the 10 days leading up to menstruation. That's a good point that most of them say don't do it while you're pregnant. I was thinking it was probably a CYA move, but wanted to be sure. Do you mind if I ask which things she's having you take? There's something he wants to give me to increase quality of ovulation too but I don't remember the name of it and it wouldn't be until after menstruation.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#4 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 03:47 PM

I think it is a CYA move.  Even my Vitex says don't take if you are pregnant, and that what so many women take to get pregnant.  I think it's just that herbs aren't regulated or tested for safety by the FDA so it's better safe than sorry. 

I'm sorry I don't know exactly what herbs I am taking.  They are powdered and my acupuncturist just measures out what I need for that cycle and gives it to me in a blank container.  And unfortunately, I don't know enough about Chinese herbs to know what's what.  Maybe someone else on here will be more familiar.  I take one mixture during AF, one before O, one during O and one after O to support the luteal phase.  It sounds good that your acupuncturist is tailoring the herbs to the part of your cycle.

#5 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I think you're right. I just get nervous putting anything new in my body.

#6 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I think you're right. I just get nervous putting anything new in my body.

#7 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM

I understand. I get nervous any time I add something new or take something away.  I'm not sure what the perfect combination is, but I'll keep trying until something works. 

#8 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly.

#9 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly.

#10 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM

I think they have to put the "do not take if you are pregnant or nursing" thing on the packing since herbs and supplements aren't controlled by the FDA (right?).

Married to my love stillheart.gif, Mommy to W ('09) homebirth.jpg and Doula.

brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif God has answered our prayers & we welcomed our baby girl earth side 11/24/13 h20homebirth.gif

#11 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

That seems logical Sila. Do you take any or have you taken any and what has your experience been like?

#12 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

That seems logical Sila. Do you take any or have you taken any and what has your experience been like?

#13 of 15 Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Yes, I have taken herbs from my acupuncturist numerous times over the last 15 months. We've tried a couple different ones (I have NO idea what is in them it's all in Chinese, they are from Blue Poppy) based on my eastern medicine diagnosis. There is one that I have taken during my LP that according to her, I respond pretty well to. I was taking it last cycle when I had what I'm sure was a chemical pregnancy (oddly enough she says these same herbs are also used to treat habitual miscarriage). The only difference I have noticed is that my temps seem to stay up higher and it seems to boost my progesterone a little bit.

Married to my love stillheart.gif, Mommy to W ('09) homebirth.jpg and Doula.

brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif God has answered our prayers & we welcomed our baby girl earth side 11/24/13 h20homebirth.gif

#14 of 15 Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Hi there,

Just wanted to chime in that I did indeed take Women's Precious right up until I got a positive pregnancy test with my son. So I guess I actually took it for the first two weeks or so of the pregnancy with no adverse effects. I took myself off (in consultation with my acupuncturist) right after the positive pregnancy test, partially because I saw that warning on the bottle, but she assured me it was a CYA thing.

Hope this helps!

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#15 of 15 Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up having a bad reaction to it due to my Endometriosis, so no more for me. I also noticed my clinic recommends not using natural herbs during a cycle.

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page