Mothering Forum banner

How many clomid/iui/progesterone cycels did it take you to conceive?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 100.0%

• 5 or more

First medicated cycle.

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Sourire 
#1 ·
Hi everyone my name is Lam.

My husband and I have been TTC for 15 months. We have both been tested and have been diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" . I am 28 and he is 29. I have hypothyroid and have been being treated for the last 5 years and its under control. The doctors could not find anything wrong with either one of us. I have regular cycles, always get + OPK and have a thermal shift. This is our first cycle with medication. Clomid 100mg day 3-7. on day 11 US: two follicles on the left. 20 and 24 (is 24 too big??) Some on the right but she didn't measure them because the all were under 10. I received the HCG trigger shot that day. On day 12 we did IUI after the wash their were 45 million with 86% motility. On day 13 I started progesterone suppositories, not because of a low level just because my RE says it will help prevent MC. Now I am on day 10 of the 2ww. I am sore and itchy down there. The nurse said it is from the progesterone and try to tuff it out. Has this happened to anyone else? Do our odds sound good? Anyone have any similar stories or advice? I hope this works because it was hard enough to get my husband to do it once. It was embarrassing to him that he had to go into the doctor's office and provide a sample while the nurse waited outside of the room. We live to far away for him to collect at home.

Thanks for listening, Lam

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome NeedBabyDust!

Hang in there with the progesterone. What kind is it? I am a big fan of the Crinone vs. the other- less messy overall (altho the build-up is gross).

My hope for you is to find good support and information here. I was on Mothering forums several years ago and gained so much! I returned for the support and info after we were back on the TTC path again.

Welcome.gif

dust.gif
BabyDust!!!

#3 ·
Hi Skeemama!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am on Prometrium, which is actually meant to be taken by mouth but my RE has me insert it vaginal every night before bed. For the first part of the day when the medication is coming out I get swollen, red, itchy, and really sore to touch, or wipe after I pee. I hate to complain to the nurses or doctor but there are times when I can not tolerate the symptoms.

-Lam

#4 ·
Hi NeedBabyDust, I have taken Prometrium vaginally and I was never sore, swollen or itchy. These symptoms are not normal. I've heard that sometimes it's possible to get a vaginal infection when you're on Prometrium since you have to stick your finger up there so often and that is an opportunity for bacteria to be introduced in there. I've also heard of people having allergic reactions to Prometrium. You should talk to your doctor about it! You can ask for a different medication next time (though hopefully there won't be a next time!)

I wish I could vote in your poll but unfortunately I'm not yet pregnant. However once I do get pregnant I would vote 5 or more cycles. I've done 3 cycles of just Clomid, 3 cycles of just Prometrium, 1 cycle of just Femara (similar to Clomid but less side effects), 1 cycle of Femara with Crinone (which is an alternative to Prometrium in the form of a vaginal gel). So that's 8 medicated cycles with timed intercourse.

Then I moved on to IUI's and so far I've done 3 IUI's with Femara and Crinone and 2 IUI's with Femara, Puregon and Crinone. I'm currently awaiting the results of my most 5th IUI.

Best of luck to you. I hope it works on the first try!

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedBabyDust View Post
on day 11 US: two follicles on the left. 20 and 24 (is 24 too big??)

On day 12 we did IUI after the wash their were 45 million with 86% motility.

Do our odds sound good?
24 is not too big of a follicle size, when you ovulate naturally your follicle can be as big as 30mm. Doing an IUI with 2 follicles is great. Also the sperm count is really excellent. I think you have pretty good odds. In general they say one IUI has around a 15% chance of sucess but since you have 2 follicles and such a great sperm count, your chances are probably a lot higher than that.

To put things in perspective in case 15% sounds low, a fertile couple trying on their own has a 20-25% chance of success each month. So your chance is probably similar to that.

#6 ·
Sourire,

You have been through so much, I can't even imagine. Best of luck with the IUI, did you get the results yet? Thank you for all of the great info! I did one of those vagisil home ph tests and my vaginal ph was normal so I concluded this is a reaction from the Progesterone or a yeast infection. I have called and talked to the nurse two times about my itchy, red, sore problem. I am using a skin protectent cream down there and it seems to be helping a little. Next cycle I am going to ask to try Crinone. Today is 13 days past IUI I took a test even though my RE said take one on day 14. Well, it was negative :( I am going to take another one tomorrow morning even though I know it will be negative.

My normal cycles are usually 29 or 30 days long. This month with the medication 14dpo is only day 26 of my cycle, so I am a little confused when to expect AF. Since being on medication has your cycle length changed?

#7 ·
Needbabydust, I'm at 8 dpo right now, I'll be testing next week around 14dpo. I'm so sorry to hear about your BFN. You are welcome to join us on the September Infertility One Thread, there are tons of ladies going through IUI and stuff who are very supportive.

It is very normal for the medication to change your cycle length. Do you know when you normally ovulate? I find that when I am doing the IUI the doctors tend to trigger my ovulation earlier than it normally happens, so my cycles are shorter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.