Infertility and starting the process - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My boyfriend of 3 years and I are starting our journey to pregnancy but are dealing with infertility. I have blocked fallopian tubes             (found out when trying to have a child when I was married 5 years ago) so we have to do IVF. 

Both of us have previously been married then divorced and really don't want to get married. We have a very strong relationship, committed to one another fully and want a child together badly. 

We are getting ready for our first appointment and the doctor states since we are not married we have to get a lawyer and a parenting plan ready before we can start. 

Has anyone ever dealt with this? Just wanting other's experiences! 

Thanks! 

Kelli

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I don't know specifically, but there is a legal issue around using fresh sperm from someone to whom you are not married.  From what I have heard, doctors can only inseminate with fresh sperm from a spouse or known sexual partner.  I don't know what kind of proof they require for this.  I think the law was designed to regulate sperm donation as it is considered human tissue donation.  I don't know if you definitely need a lawyer.  Check out nolo.com.  They have a info on how to create your own parenting agreement without a lawyer.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Tags
Infertility
User Tag List