hope for those with multiple failed cycles... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i just wanted to jump in here really quickly with a little word of advice and a little bit of my story.  we've been ttc for 7 years.  in 7 years i NEVER had a positive pregnancy test. i was only 26 when we started and i thought it would be a piece of cake...women in my family are fertile!  about 4 years ago we tried one fresh and 2 frozen ivf cycles...putting in 3 good looking embryos each time.  this was after several failed stimmed iui cycles.  at that point we decided to put our money and hopes into adoption, and we quickly adopted our son at his birth.  a year ago we had a unique situation where we were given 4 embryos (donated) to try.  we moved to this new RE and tried putting 2 great frozen blasts in.  failed.  put in 2 more.  failed.  decided to do a uterine biopsy (everything is unexplained...all has checked out in all of our testing)...thinking cleaning out the uterus may do the trick.  did that, then followed back in the spring with a fresh ivf cycle of our own.  not a great cycle, but we got 2 good blasts to put in.  failed.  following this, i requested to get tested for NK (natural killer) cells.  sure enough, i tested a bit high. decided to go for another fresh cycle.  dr. changed protocol a bit, added human growth hormone which seems to have made my eggs stellar, and 10 days before the embryo transfer they set me up with an IV full of intralipids (a bunch of fats!  egg yolks, soy, etc).  put in 2 great blasts.  took a test at 5 dp5dt...POSITIVE.  had beta 2 days later and numbers were looking high...we're thinking twins!  ended up that's the case!  we did another IV of intralipids a few days later, and then again 4 weeks later.  i'm 10 weeks, 1 day now with twins...and i fully believe we owe it ALL to the simplest treatment ever...a 60 minute IV drip of fats which apparently serve to suppress these crazy immunities which have probably been doing away with embryos trying to nuzzle in my uterus for years.  PLEASE ask your doc to check for your NK cell activity...this was too easy not to speak out about!  i never thought we would find out what the problem was...and i never thought i would be sitting here getting a baby bump!

mom to 2 pooches, one wild and awesome little boy kid.gif who joined our family through the miracle of adoption, and expecting 2 miracle babies in spring 2013 after 7 years of ttc!belly.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Congratulations on your twins!  There are women on here who deal with that problem.  Unfortunately, the solution is not always that simple, but it's good to know that it can be.  After years of struggle, you are very fortunate.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

yes, if there's one thing i've learned, everyone dealing with infertility has unique circumstances :) .  in fact, i don't know anyone else who has never achieved as much as a positive test, but this was all new to me after years of tests and struggles, so now i will always suggest that people make sure their docs check for this issue since it is not yet routinely done by most!

mom to 2 pooches, one wild and awesome little boy kid.gif who joined our family through the miracle of adoption, and expecting 2 miracle babies in spring 2013 after 7 years of ttc!belly.gif

Tags
Infertility
User Tag List