Anyone try unmonitored (DIY) follistism cycle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently failed a medicated follistism IVF cycle and I have some left over meds.

IVF is so expensive and  between waiting to do another IVF cycle I thought I could use the left over meds and hopefully get pregnant on my own.

I was thinking about using the left over meds, OPK's and  timed intercourse.

I'm also going to use some instead cups.

I would like to know if anyone has attempted an unmonitored follistism cycle and was it successful.

What day did you start the follistism and how many days did you take it?

What was the dosage that you used?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Hi, I can understand your desire to try some DIY ovarian stimulation. However my advice would be not to. Im not a fertility Dr but am currently doing some research at an IVF clinic for my PhD and as far as I understand there are numerous serious (as in can be life threatening) conditions that can occur from taking these medications - this is one of the reasons they monitor you closely when you're on them.

Reason 2: They also need to scan your ovaries to measure the follicles - otherwise there is no way to know when they are mature, and thus when to give you the HCG injection to stimulate the egg release. You could guess the timing but every woman is different and even the same women during different cycles of IVF can require different doses and durations of stimulation. So its impossible to know when your eggs are ready if your not monitored.

3rd reason: I expect if you did get lucky and get the timing right (i.e. actually cause the release of mature fertilisable eggs) you would release many of them because multiple follicles are usually stimulated by the IVF drugs. Do you really want to wind up getting pregnant with so many embryos that you have to have a termination or reduction (which can unfortunately cause termination)? Or you end up with very sick babies because there were just too many of them crammed in your uterus to be nurtured properly? When you cant get pregnant its easy to see this as the end goal. But its not, a healthy baby is your goal and whilst DIY IVF might have an infinitely small chance of getting you a positive pregnancy test, if achieved it is very likely to be a disaster pregnancy and simply add to your distress. Please don't risk your future health or that of your babies by trying to get a whole family at once...tempting as it must seem.

4th: Im guessing you don't have tubal damage, but if you do, rest assured that DIY stimulation alone would be completely pointless as the eggs have to travel down your tubes to meet a sperm and the damage would mean they probably cant. 

The following is just my thoughts (no research to back it with), but I have noticed a few couples having one unsuccessful IVF treatment, but getting pregnant during the 6 months after it. Perhaps this is chance but I cant help wondering if perhaps the meds reset some hormone cycles or something that actually increase a couples subsequent chances of pregnancy. Maybe wait a while and see if your natural cycles return? Never give up - we had a lady at the clinic get pregnant naturally when her and her partner both had major fertility problems. They were only given a 5% chance with IVF. 

And if you do decide to DIY it - perhaps you could pay for a scan to monitor your ovarian response, if not the full cycle of IVF? I'd anticipate some disapproval from the medics but I guess they cant stop you doing what you want to your body at the end of the day. And a few scans to time your own HCG - or to alert you not to take the HCG at all if you have more than 2 mature follicles, would be a lot cheaper than a full IVF cycle. 

Wishing you all the best what ever you decide to do.

N x 

#3 of 5 Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree with PP. It is too risky. Sorry, I know that is probably not what you want to hear. I too have considered it, but decided against it because I was worried that I would end up with too many babies.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#4 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 AM

I have to third what everyone says. OHSS is a serious risk even in a monitored cycle, among other potential side effects. I am monitored on cycle day 6 and then every day or every other day until retrieval. That should give you an idea of how important it is to be monitored on  stims.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#5 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I took the lowest possible dose of Follistim (50iu) during a monitored IUI cycle. I ended up cancelling the cycle because I had 5 mature eggs and the risk of multiple pregnancy was too high. I would not recommend taking Follistim without monitoring.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page