Kinda scared! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone
My dr finally convinced me to take provera to see if I can lure AF out of hiding. We don't know why I have have not see AF in a year and a half so.... We are going to give provera a try. He asked at that time if I wanted to try for a baby my husband and I said yes so on Monday he is proscribing me 50 mg of clomid
I have a 5 yr old and he was a complete surprise I was told in my early 20,s that my prolactin levals were too high and because of that I was infertile. Now I have extremely irregular periods.
Right now I just kinda scared about the provera and clomid to make a baby
And advice?
Thank you so much
#2 of 2 Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The most likely cause of irregular/absent periods is PCOS. What kind of doctor are you seeing? Did they do any tests, such as CD 3 blood work and a pelvic ultrasound? Unfortunately, lots of OB/GYNs don't know much about fertility and hand out Clomid as an answer to everything, but you can only do so many Clomid cycles, so you might not want to waste one just yet. If you have PCOS, you may do well on Metformin. It doesn't work as quickly as Clomid, and isn't meant to get you pregnant, but it will treat the root of the problem (hormonal imbalance) rather than just a symptom (lack of ovulation). It can help regulate your ovulation/cycles, and for some women, that's all they need to get pregnant. Even if you still don't ovulate and need to move on to Clomid, Metformin may help you respond to Clomid better.

EDIT: Oops, just saw the part about high prolactin. Did your doctor ever look for a cause for that? Have you had your prolactin checked recently? High prolactin can prevent ovulation and therefore cause irregular cycles (elevated prolactin is the reason you don't usually ovulate when breastfeeding). I think the most common cause (other than breastfeeding) is a prolactinoma -- a prolactin-secreting noncanerous tumor that can be treated with medication.

27 y/o, TTC 3.5 years with PCOS, Hashimoto's, elevated NK cells, and severe MFI. IVF postponed indefinitely while trying to stabilize thyroid.

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page