Winter IVF Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Laggie- I think you're it right now, that means you get us cheering your on all to yourself. How are you doing with the shots?  

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts (and cursing on my behalf). It just sucks on every level. I wasn't terribly surprised as I stopped having symptoms about 4-5 days prior to finding out about the miscarriage. I would guess the progesterone had something to do with why my body held onto it. I had a d & c on Friday and am in the healing process from that and hoping AF will come quickly so we can get on with our FET. I am having some anxiety about the future, only having 2 embryos frozen, success, another miscarriage... it is strange to me because I have been a rock through all of my infertility struggles, even with meds I haven't had anxiety or depression. I wouldn't say I'm depressed but I am thinking of talking to a therapist because I don't want the anxiety of what has happened to affect our changes of success with our snow babies. 

C + B + 10y together, 6y married, 5y TTC= endometriosis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis
recurrent miscarriages IVF 2/13@10w , FET 6/13@7w, IVF 10/13@4w, FET 2/14 @4w
Failed IVF 5/14, IVF OHSS Freeze all with PGD 8/14- 6 PGD normal embryos
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Cautiously expecting TWINS after FET of 2 PGD normal 5 day blastocysts 9/13/14
***4***8**12***16***20***24***28***32***36* **40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Laggie! Good luck. Grow follies grow!

SMC (40)  TTC w/ donor swimmers since 2009, hypothyroid...  IVF#1 m/c trisomy 16 (10/19/12) 

IVF#2: BFP 2/11/13 This one really stuck. 

Mom to H, L, & G, triplets born 35+1 and growing like weeds! joy.gif

Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
TF -- will they do testing on the material after the d&c to determine the m/c cause? I found some comfort knowing it was tri16 in my case-since that is so common. It didn't make the loss easier but it helped me restart again. I hope you have a nice bottle of wine or scotch for Friday night or a cup of coffee and pancakes Saturday morning...

SMC (40)  TTC w/ donor swimmers since 2009, hypothyroid...  IVF#1 m/c trisomy 16 (10/19/12) 

IVF#2: BFP 2/11/13 This one really stuck. 

Mom to H, L, & G, triplets born 35+1 and growing like weeds! joy.gif

Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

So far so good. I'm a bit headachey but I've had a cold and my sinuses are still stuffy, so I don't know if the headache is from the meds or not. This morning I had a blood test, and they said to continue on at the same dosage.

Toothfairy, I think that some counselling would be a good idea. It can't hurt, anyway, and I always feel like I get a better perspective. Mind you, it's only been a few days, I wouldn't expect you to feel like your normal self quite yet. I don't think your grieving process will affect your chances in the future. It's okay to be sad right now.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
tf - I think every loss hits differently. If you think you want to talk to someone, it's never a bad idea.

laggie - I'm not far behind you. I go in for my teaching class and practice ET tomorrow and Sunday is my last BCP. So, I guess I'm about 2 weeks behind you? But, I'll be doing a freeze all cycle. I like how the success rates for FETs are higher than fresh transfers. Plus it gives us time to possibly do a second cycle if needed. We'd really like 2 more children and it makes sense that, because of my age, if there's any good ones left in there, we should grab them now.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

toothfairy I hope you are able to find someone to talk to so your snow babies have the best mama available.

AFM, I spent 15 minutes on the phone with Freedom Pharmacy to get my lupron trigger shot and 20 minutes on the phone with the Express Scripts specialty pharmacy. I have my meds scheduled for delivery  this weekand then the lupron trigger shot is coming in a couple weeks.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Laggie - I am here. We are doing a FET with donor embryos. I stalk more than I post, because I don't feel like talking about it as much as I used to. Plus an FET is so easy compared to IVF - just a few pills of enstrogen, some progesterone, and a transfer basically - it does not feel real.

TF - I have been really strong through 5 years of IF and treatments, even while taking care of my mom with late-stage alzheimer's and her eventually dieing. But it was my m/c that made me fall apart. Sometimes things hit you differently. Do whatever feel right. I laid in bed crying for months (literally). If it feels like talking to somebody would help, do it.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM

lilac- medication arrival is an exciting day. What month does your cycle start?

xerxella- I know there is so much research that shows better FET success rates but my clinic shows 45% for fresh and 25% for frozen... whats with that. Anything I can do to make it work better?? I'm glad you are getting as many eggs as possible. Are you doing PGD at all to check for genetic concerns?

guppy- Because of my age and it being my first m/c it was going to be $1,800 to do chromosomal testing so we opt-ed out. The cost combined with having 2 frozen embryos that we plan on using regardless (they cant be checked at this point) it just seemed to be useless to proceed with it,

laggie- Is there anything they are doing differently this time from last time? I think you said no BCP or no Lupron, right? I'm sorry your m/c was like mine was. It sucks bad. It is hard for me to believe so many women here have gone through this and come out the other side. I feel like I will be sad and anxious forever... I hope this is it for you.

Sourire- How are you doing on your Lupron? You finish soon right? 

AFM- Going to see my RE tomorrow morning. They called me today to confirm I had a pregnancy loss because if I was still pregnant I should be addressing my concerns with me OB Gyn and not coming to see them. Really, do you think I would willingly return to the RE if I still had a baby... ugh. Also I have to go to the appt alone and I don't look forward to the sad we are so sorry this happened that I'm sure I'll get when I arrive. I just want to know how soon we can get back at this... 

C + B + 10y together, 6y married, 5y TTC= endometriosis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM
rcr

TF- we cross posted I think. Sorry you have to go in there tomorrow and face it all. Un-telling people that I was pregnant was the worst, and seeing their expression when they knew how horrible it was but had no words. Sorry. Stay strong, you will get through it.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Rcr- it really is the worst feeling. It confirmed my choice to not officially announce anything. I think a lot of my family knew through people but that means they unheard through them too which took it off me. It is just so cruel after 3 years of no pregnancies for our first IVF to work & then to lose it. So hard to wrap my head around. It really is a whole different kind of stress, pain and heartbreak. Infertility is mourning what could be. Having it and losing it just hurts down through my bones. It penetrates everything I am and all I thought I
Knew. I'm hopeful for your FET & hope when we get to that point I'm relaxed too...

Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 AM

rcr, I am excited to see you moving forward with your FET and donor embryos!

toothfairy, my cycle month is March - I start next week as long as my period shows up when it is expected. I have my nurse friend lined up to do my injections and I am trying to stay calm and relaxed about this process. It almost seems surreal that IVF is finally going to happen.

AFM, I got a job offer yesterday. Now onto talking with HR about salary and benefits and weighing the pros and cons of driving one hour each way for a position that I really think I will enjoy.  Lots of decisions in a short period of time.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:00 AM

TF- At 13 weeks with the twins I had told everyone, showed pictures, the whole shebang because you're safe st 13 weeks, right? I found the idea of having to tell people unbearable. I sent out a mass email that said I don't want talk about it. It worked. I got the space I needed to grieve without dealing with everyone else. Maybe you could send an email to the docs office today or speak to the head nurse first and have he put out the word. (((Hugs))).

As far as the FET, does your clinic use traditional freezing or vitrification? That could explain the difference. We're doing the PGD to check for all chromosome issues. Basically they just check to make sure there are the right numbers of all the chromosomes.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 AM

Rcr- good luck on the FET. When exactly is it?

Lilac- We're are cycling close to each other. I should get my period next week when I stop the pill this weekend. Are you going straight into stims? Good luck.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

hey guys..i just wanted to say hi and good luck with everything coming up fo you. i have been lurking but just trying to keep my energy up for my transfer in april.....this infertility thing can be so taxing at times . stay positive!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM
rcr

xerxella - my FET may be next Thursday. I have to see how my lining is on Friday, but if it is ok it will be on the 14th.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey all, I've been mostly lurking too while waiting for my next cycle. I want to apologize for being a horrible threadkeeper, I haven't updated the first post in ages but I'll try to catch up on that this weekend.

Laggie - are you taking something else instead of Lupron or are you doing a short protocol this time?

toothfairy - I hope you can find yourself a really great therapist. I couldn't live without mine! I really hope you get pregnant right away with your frozen embryos and that your m/c turns out to be random bad luck as opposed to some issue. Have you done any reading about miscarriages and endometriosis? Apparently 1/3 of endo victims also have immune issues that increase the chance of miscarriages. They recommend getting tested for antiphospholipid antibodies and natural killer cells to try and find out if you are one of those people. I asked my doctor for those tests but unfortunately they don't do them at my clinic so I'm hoping to be in the 2/3 who don't have those issues.

Xerxella - pretty exciting that things are about to start happening for you. It's interesting that you're doing a freeze all cycle by choice. That's what I did when I had my IVF cycle but it wasn't supposed to be freeze all in the beginning. I found great comfort reading articles about how babies from FET cycles are healthier than babies from fresh cycles. However I'm very surprised to hear that your clinic has higher success rates for FETs than for fresh cycles. My clinic has a 40% success rate for fresh and a 20% success rate for frozen and they are using vitrification.

lilac - wow you're finally starting! You've been waiting so long for this, you must be crazy excited! Congrats on the job offer, and good luck with your decision!

rcr - I agree with you about FETs being easy. During my last FET I felt like my life was totally normal! It felt even easier than an IUI cycle. Good luck with your lining check on Friday, I'm wishing you a wonderful thick lining.

tracyamber - glad to hear from you! It sounds like we will be cycle buddies again, my next transfer should be around April 14. I hope we both have better results this time.

AFM - I'm in my 2nd month of Lupron, still dealing with insane hot flashes. In 2 weeks from today I get an endometrial biopsy, and 3 weeks from today my FET cycle starts! It seems like it's going so fast.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Sourire - the Lupron was the worst for me, when I started taking it I had no idea that it mimics menopause. My doctor likes to say things like "most women don't notice any side effects" ha! 

rcr - I'm so excited for you! I hope you have the world's greatest uterine lining at your next scan. wink1.gif

tracyamber - thanks and Hi! wave.gif

Xerxella - my miscarriage was at about 12 weeks. I had seen the heartbeat at around 7 weeks IIRC so I thought I was in the clear, too. If I get pregnant again I will be so anxious until I get well into the second trimester, and I don't think I'll tell anyone until 14 weeks. 

Lilac - a new job is exciting! But an hour commute is not so fun. I keep putting off looking for a different job, because I hope to be on maternity leave (it's a year in Canada) but I really should get on that.

toothfairy - It is a difficult kind of grief. It's something people don't want to talk about, but if you do you'll find so many women have been through it. I had a little ceremony for the baby I lost, and I just kept thinking how all my relations (ancestors, mother, sister, etc) had this same loss to grieve. 1 in every 4 women, but I know my mom had at least 2, and my sister had one within weeks of mine. 

Good luck at the RE tomorrow. I hope they are not too sympathetic, but also not too unsympathetic.

AFM - I am on the short protocol this time, so I still took BCP, but no Lupron or other meds until I started stims. They doubled my dose of Menopur this time so I'm on 150 units, plus 300 of Gonal-F

This morning I had the first monitoring ultrasound, and my right ovary decided to be lazy and do NOTHING greensad.gif. My left ovary has just 4 follicles. I cried when the doctor left the room, I was hoping for more like 10 to 12 eggs this time. I'm really worried now, because last time I had 8 follicles and we only ended up with two blasts. It was especially disappointing because the nurse had told me my estrogen level looked really good.

I just got the call and my estrogen was at 2195 this morning. So, I'll start the cetrotide tonight. I don't understand why the E2 is so high with no follicles, but such is life I guess.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Sourire: Now I had to go check. The rates at my clinic are 33.7% resulting in live birth with FET and 25.9% resulting in live birth for fresh transfer. They're not as good as your clinics. Maybe that's because of my age or maybe they're just not as good of a clinic! I do know my doc tends to take more RPL cases. So they are more likely to do PGD, so maybe that's what gets the higher success rate in FET? Anyways, the studies back up a higher overall rate for FETs. This study out of Europe is really nice: http://www.eshre.eu/ESHRE/English/Press-Room/Press-Releases/Press-releases-2012/ESHRE-2012/Frozen-vs-fresh-embryos/page.aspx/1620 Hopefully, we'll be on the good side of that statistic. Good luck with the upcoming FET. For me it seems like time is traveling too slowly...

rcr - Wow. That's coming up. I think there's a certain safety zone of not becoming too invested in the process. Hugs. What will be, will be.

Hi tracy - I like your new avatar.

ETA - Laggie - I hope they just missed your right ovary! LOL That would explain the high E2, right?

wave.gif to EOE

Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM

tf

i commend you on your courage at this difficult time. it is amazing the strength we find in ourselves on a difficult journey.

when i was pregnant with my son...i actually was pregnant with twins....two boys. at 20 weeks they informed me that one of my baby's had a heart defect and to make things worse i had to watch him on the ultrasound for 4 weeks as his heart got slower and slower*cry* and his gestational sac and body took several more weeks to disintegrate .....it was the hardest journey to go though and to have my living son inside me to...to keep my spirits up so that i did not transfer any negative emotion onto my other baby...the hardest thing. i know i have a son now and i feel very very lucky everyday and hope it can happen just one more time as i do not have another 4 years.

i am positive you will get want you want.. a baby. the universe makes it so hard sometimes and it seems unfair. therapy sounds like a good idea. i did that just to give me a little order to my thoughts and to change my attitude.....to relax. i hear you.

the women on this board are so encouraging...keep writing and keeping us informed so that we can all support you!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 PM

Xerella, day one for me should be next Wednesday, March 13 adn I will start the follistim and menopur on CD3. My office didn't do the BCPs since my cycles have been regular and the timing for my spring break worked out pretty perfect for retrieval and rest afterward.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Laggie good luck on this cycle.

I was going to start this month but just received bad news. I broke my foot in the same place that I had fused a few years ago. I am having surgery April 10th. So everything is on hold for a couple of months until I can get around again. My dr said estrogen can cause blood clots so definitely not good. I am so bummed
Old 03-07-2013, 03:55 PM

wannabemomi

there you are. i was going to write you on the other thread. .what a bummer about your foot. how did you break it? if i may ask..and twice..bummer and so sorry. i was hoping that we would be cycle buddies. please keep us up to date...please.

tracyamber

Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM

wannabe - Sorry about your foot, is it painful? I hope your surgery goes well. 

lilac - Yay for starting soon! You must be excited. Hopefully you have lots to distract you, I find the days go so slowly.

Xerxella - I know the statistics are better for FET, but I wouldn't be able to resist putting back a fresh one or two. I do like the idea of being able to stockpile embryos, but I don't think I'll ever have that option.

AFM - still no action on the right ovary today, but he counted 6 follicles on the left side. Two of them are up around 16-17 mm, 3 are around 10-11 and one is only 7.5 so it probably won't catch up. Still, 6 is better than 4. I'm feeling a bit more hopeful. Back again tomorrow for another ultrasound. 

Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Just waned to stop by and say LILAC - I am so excited that you're finally getting to start! Good luck, I'm keeping everything crossed for you! Sourire - Yeah for your FET! TF - I know I've said it already, but I'm so sorry. I agree with PP, talking to a therapist may help, so you should do it if you think it will! (It did for me through our struggles!) Hi and Good Luck to everyone else!

Me: 34, DH: 36, DD born 7/25/10 After 4 years of trying and failed IVF treatments (missing my angels).  IVF/ICSI worked this time! DS born 1/8/13!

www.3hearts2hold1love-emms.blogspot.com

Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 AM

hope4light, thanks for the encouragement! I am pretty excited!

Can I just say that the meds I got came in HUGE boxes!  I got my main shipment yesterday.  My brother had made some comment about there being too many boxes to vacuum the floor.  I looked at him and said "What boxes?" All the little cooler boxes to keep things at the right temperature although when I read the packaging most of them didn't have to be refrigerated. Just a few more days and I can start this IVF cycle.  Excitement and panic are setting in.  This is really going to happen!

I read an interesting article on what to do with excess embryos. It actually hit on a question I have been asking myself lately as I consider what will happen this month.  http://www.creatingafamily.org/blog/infertility-fertility-trying-to-conceive-ivf-donor-egg/frozen-embryos-left/ My husband only wants 2 kids.  I would like 2 or 3 but would love to at least have a boy and a girl. Since our office recommends transfering 2 embryos, I have a feeling I will end up with twins. My husband would like to donate any unused embryos to another couple so they can create their family. I had thought that was what I wanted to do to but now I am wondering what it would be like to have genetic siblings of my children (as yet unconceived and unborn) out there in the world. But then I think of the couples whose only chance at having children is through the kindness of people like me who have enough children and would not need anymore of the embryos we would have frozen. My DH and I talked to my sister this week about being the guardian of our frozen embryos in the event that both DH and I were to die. She had said, "Of course I would want to do that. Those frozen embryos are my nieces and nephews!' That is what got me thinking on this subject more about any excess embryos. Just a thought for the day.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Toothfairy: I'm so sorry to hear about your miscaridge.

Lilac, xerlea, sourice: good luck for your cycles.

rcr and laggie: good to see you again.  good luck with your cycles.

hi to everyone else.

AFM: just popping by to say hi.  I'm still enjoying my brake from ttc and eating loads of junk food and drinking wine :)

loads and loads of luck everyone, may we all get to our babies soon.

Missing my dh everyday candle.gif and hoping there is a brighter future for me out there

Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Lilac- DH and I have had many discussions about any excess embryos. I would vote to donate them. DH would vote to destroy them. He says he just couldn't bear the idea of "our" children being out there somewhere. I get that but I just couldn't bear the thought of just destroying them. I would vote to give them a chance at life. Anyways, so our final decision was our very own "no child left behind act". However many there are, we'll use them all. This isn't as scary as it sounds. It's highly unlikely we'll have some massive quantity of euploid embryos. I've run all the statistics and read the articles. With a 15 AFC the "average" 37 year old will end up with 2-3 chromosomally competent embryos. And that's a big assumption that we're average. Thanks for a great article. I'll have to come back and post the study I got the statistics from.

Here it is: http://217.219.214.30/documents/10129/91434/638.pdf

Laggie- 6 sounds a lot better. I'm sorry you're one ovary is being so uncooperative.

Lilac- So you'll start Friday-ish? Depending on when I get AF, I'll start on cd 2, so hopefully Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

AFM- Did I mention the lady BCP was today? :P. Come on AF.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 AM

Xerxella, I like the concept of "no child left behind". I think I will be getting my first stimulation protocol shots on Friday, March 15 because CD 1 should be Wednesday.  Congrats on taking your last BCPs. I like you I am cheering on AF to come!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM
rcr

I will chime in about what to do with leftover embryos.

I am (obviously) becoming a reciepent of donor embryos, and for that I am very grateful to those who make the choice to donate. My wish is that it were an open donation, so that my (hopefully) future kid(s) will be able to know the biological parents and siblings if they choose. But for the most part that is not an option that is available in the U.S. There are places like snowflake, where people can donate their unused embryos and then be able to have a say in who adopts them, but they are christian and don't accept non-christians. We are also looking at another place in Florida that does open embryo donations, but it is expensive and complicated (we would have to do a homestudy). So we are doing the unknown donor option with my old RE. I don't know much about the donors. In fact, I don't even know their race. The embryos were set to be discarded because nobody wanted them. The "parents"  don't know about me, and one of the embryos that I was given to choose from has been frozen since 1969! So the siblings would be older than me! crazy. I doubt that they even know that they are being given to me - they seem to have been forgotten about.

Anyway, if you are interested in donating, but would like some say in who they go to, or at least have contact info so that the kids can have the option of knowing eachother, look into snowflake (if you are christian) or embryo donation international (if you are not), or any number of agencies where you can send your embryos.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:32 PM

rcr - That's really interesting, thanks for sharing that info. I wonder how it will change in the future, I know that in Canada there is a push for more open adoptions, and even sperm donors are not allowed to be completely anonymous anymore (in BC at least.) Google is telling me that embryo donation isn't regulated yet, but there are some clinics offering open embryo donation programs. 

Silverbird - hi! Nice to see you!

lilac - at my clinic you have to be under 35 to choose embryo donation, so I couldn't pick that. In any case we're not likely to have any extra. That link was interesting, though, amazing that the lady writing it ended up with 3 babies from 4 embryos. 

AFM - so, I thought that I posted here on Saturday, but the internet must have eaten my post. I had my egg retrieval this morning, and they got 4 eggs. So now all we can do is hope. They gave me more drugs this time, because last time I found it painful (my clinic does conscious sedation.) Well, this time I don't even remember the procedure. All I remember is the nurse telling me I would start to feel sleepy, I closed my eyes and I don't even remember the doctor touching me at all. Which is kind of a weird feeling, to be honest. I think they gave me a bit too much, because after I drank some apple juice and water it all came back up. I barely made it to the bathroom. I came home and slept for about 4 hours.

The good news is, I woke up this morning with pretty bad lower back pain and poof! it's completely gone. Fentanyl seems to have done the trick. The doxycyline makes me feel awful though. I better load up on the yogurt.

Tags
Infertility
User Tag List