2Likes
  • 1 Post By LitMama
  • 1 Post By LitMama

#1 of 24 Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey All,

We are exploring IVF for the first time, and are finding that we may have waited too long. I'm 44 but would be 45 by the time we got to cycle, and I'm finding most doctors are only willing to discuss donor eggs with us (and we're just not there yet). Does anyone have any experience getting IVF at age 45 or over in the San Francisco Bay Area (travel is not an option for us)? 

Also, has anyone tried Mini-IVF or Natural IVF (no drugs, or fewer drugs)? I've heard that these options may remain open to women 45 and older.

It just feels so ridiculous to me that one month they'll play ball with me, and the next month they won't. We've been taking a natural path for the past 3 years, I have pretty good hormone levels, and we had a naturally conceived clinical pregnancy (alas, ectopic) one year ago. So my feeling is, I'm still in the game. Apparently that feeling is not shared by the IVF docs! I knew that going in, I understand it's about their statistics and their business models... yet I still find it shocking and appalling. 

However, I know there may be a stone as-yet-unturned, so I wanted to ask you all. Thanks in advance!

Blessings namaste.gif

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you asked the same question on the Berkeley Parents network? I found some great info on resources on BPN, when I was starting out on my journey - mostly IUI info in my case at the time (have since moved back east and onto IVF). Worth a shot.

There's at least one older thread on trying after 40+

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/parents/fertility.html

Good luck.

SMC (40)  TTC w/ donor swimmers since 2009, hypothyroid...  IVF#1 m/c trisomy 16 (10/19/12) 

IVF#2: BFP 2/11/13 This one really stuck. 

Mom to H, L, & G, triplets born 35+1 and growing like weeds! joy.gif

#3 of 24 Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guppyluv! Great idea. I love BPN and use it all the time for other resources, recommendations, etc. I read through the threads on 40+ fertility, and unfortunately there are no recommendations for IVF clinics that are willing to work with women 45+ using their own eggs (just donor eggs). I'll keep researching this, but it's looking like we'd either need to leave town (there are clinics on the east coast and one in Nevada that don't discriminate based on age) or try something different, like IUI.

Thanks, and good luck to you as well!

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
#4 of 24 Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Frustrating. I'd imagined CA would be so progressive, but found MA to be even more so... Which for a state with Puritan roots, seems incongruous...

SMC (40)  TTC w/ donor swimmers since 2009, hypothyroid...  IVF#1 m/c trisomy 16 (10/19/12) 

IVF#2: BFP 2/11/13 This one really stuck. 

Mom to H, L, & G, triplets born 35+1 and growing like weeds! joy.gif

#5 of 24 Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi LitMama,

Remember me?  Have you tried UCSF? According to their website, they will do IVF for women up to 45.

http://coe.ucsf.edu/ivf/faqs.html#14

Good luck!

Stealthee

DS 31/01/10, TTC #2
#6 of 24 Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Stealthee,

Yes, I do remember you! How are you and how is your son?? It's good to hear from you.

It turns out UCSF will do IVF up to 45, but not at 45 or over. They say the same thing all the other local IVF clinics say: "The chances for pregnancy using your own eggs, when over 45, are so low that we do not believe it is in your best interest to proceed with treatment, however, you may be an ideal candidate for oocyte donation."

There are clinics outside the Bay Area that leave this decision up to the woman, rather than making this decision themselves based on their desire to uphold certain statistics, but there are none in the Bay Area that do. Bummer!

But, you know, that's okay. I'm really cool with it now. We had an interesting conversation with the Zouves Center, and he basically explained, "you're already getting pregnant on your own... so IVF won't really increase your chances". He thinks our issue (early losses) is immunological. And hey, acupuncture, herbs and supplements got me knocked up at 43/44 (ectopic), why not 45?

I hope all's well with you, Stealthee... take care.

#7 of 24 Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Guppyluv! joy.gif

#8 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM

In case you are still looking, I saw this article on the clinic I've gone to that mentions women up to 49 using their own eggs- http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/california-ivf-discountrebate-program-eases-risk-for-older-mothers-83958007.html

There is a link to RSC that talks more about it. 

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#9 of 24 Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, myfairbabies! My heart skipped a beat when I read the press release.

Alas, the bad news is in the fine print. If you go to the Age Guidelines for IVF section of their website, they make it clear that while they will do IVF for women up to age 49 using their own eggs, they will only do so if they already have frozen embryos ready to transfer. And will only create those embryos up to the 45th birthday. Bummer.

In accordance with guidelines established by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, the Reproductive Science Center of the San Francisco Bay Area:

• Accepts new patients before their 50th birthday.
  • Offers IVF for patients who want to use their own eggs up to their 45th birthday.
  • Offers IVF for patients who want to use fresh donor eggs up to their 51st birthday.
  • For patients age 49 and over who already have frozen embryos in storage, embryo transfer is recommended by age 51 but available up to their 52nd birthday.

So, we're focusing on either natural IVF (no drugs) now or just just IUI with drugs (my hospital will do this for women 45+) or just au naturale. But, dang! I was hoping to find a clinic that would do IVF for women 45+ because I love the idea of having frozen embryos for additional attempts (and maybe a sibling). If anyone miraculously hears of a local clinic that does not practice this ridiculous age-ism, please let me know!

Thanks again, myfairbabies! Blessings to you.

#10 of 24 Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to post this new information I just learned, in case there are other women like me out there who are watching this thread. So, I have found at least two IVF clinics that would potentially take me on to do IVF using my own eggs at the age of 45. 

First, I called one of the Kaiser Permanente clinics and just asked them. They said that based on the fact that I had a naturally conceived clinical pregnancy at 44, they would take me on at 45. That brought me hope (my Ob/Gyn also said of my natural pregnancy at 44, "this changes your prognosis" -- so, mamas out there who have had ectopics or miscarriages in your 40s -- take heart!).

Then, I contacted Marin Fertility and they said that they don't have an age cutoff per se, and evaluate each potential patient individually on a case-by-case basis. It sounds like they are basing their decisions more on test results (AMH and FSH) than on age. I have no idea what my AMH and FSH are, so I don't know if this will actually help me, but it's nice to know that they are at least open to the idea. Apparently, they recently had a program called 4 at 44, which provided women 44 and younger a package of 4 cycles. The receptionist said it was designed "for women who need closure before they move on to donor eggs". That remark really irritated me, but... whatever. You have to take these attitudes with a grain of salt.

I'm also contacting Acacio Fertility and some others (Acacio is not in the Bay Area, but in southern CA so a short flight or long drive away). I'm realizing that the clinics that don't post an age cutoff on their websites, are definitely worth contacting for more information, as they may have a more flexible policy.

#11 of 24 Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Update: talked to Marin Fertility -- they don't even care what my AMH and FSH are! They are willing to work with me, and the doc I talked to said that "It's an uphill battle in your 40s, but it's definitely possible". I liked that. He said if we could get even 2 fertilized eggs to the blastocyst stage, we would stand a good chance of getting a THB. So now I'm thinking I'll just spend the next few months working on improving my egg quality, and then we'll go for it. Not necessarily with Marin Fertility -- still checking out other clinics -- but somewhere.

#12 of 24 Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Try Calidornia IVF in Davis: http://www.californiaivf.com/ivf.htm

#13 of 24 Old 05-04-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Momofamoonlover! I got in touch and have a consult set up with them. Appreciate the referral. Had you just heard of them, or did you cycle with them?

#14 of 24 Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM

I got pregnant with them;) My numbers indicating twins. .... have first ultrasound on 16th
#15 of 24 Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, congrats, momofamoonlover! How exciting that you're pregnant and maybe with twins!

Would you mind my asking if you are anywhere near my age range (over 40? over 43?). It's always so encouraging to hear these stories... Age aside, this is a blessing and it's wonderful to hear your happy story! Thanks for sharing the name of your clinic with me. Blessings to you and your babe(s). joy.gif

#16 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 12:45 PM

I will be 46 on the 27th. I have a 3year old son. Before we got him I lost my first pregnancy at 51/2 months, twins at 9 weeks. This is our last hoorah.
#17 of 24 Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, momofamoonlover, your story definitely inspires me. I'm sorry to hear of your losses on this journey, but happy you're getting to have your last hoorah! Send some good vibes my way, I'm hoping to have my last hoorah this year, too. Wishing you a happy and healthy nine months! 

#18 of 24 Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 AM

Thank you!

I’d like to thank everyone who participated in this thread! Even though I’m reading them much later, I appreciate the info!
M
#19 of 24 Old 08-25-2014, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

You're welcome! Are you getting ready to do IVF? If you're interested in hearing more details about what I learned when I researched clinics near the SF Bay Area, PM me and I'll send you the download.

I ended up doing one round with a clinic in Southern CA... very good response to their protocol and transferred two grade AA embryos, got pregnant, but miscarried. In hind sight, I probably would have gone with one of the more local clinics I found willing to work with my eggs (and we may still give it another try with a more local clinic). The travel and surrounding logistics (childcare for my DD, etc.) was the most stressful part.

Good luck!
MomInSF likes this.

#20 of 24 Old 08-29-2014, 12:31 PM

46yrs ivf

Thanks for all information. I'm just failed ivf at 46yrs, will be 47 soon. Still hope to try again with my own eggs. Unfortunately, I didn't find ivf center accept 46 yrs in bay area . They all recommend me donor eggs. My all blood test are normal, except seems eggs quality. I need someone help me finds somewhere accept 46yrs ivf. Is there have successful story. Thanks all in advance!
#21 of 24 Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 PM

Hi momofamoonlover. Did you have IVF or Mini-IVF at Davis? Congratulations!
#22 of 24 Old 08-31-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Readygrace,

Did you try Marin Fertility or CA IVF in Davis? Both told me they did not have an age cut-off for own eggs. If you're a Kaiser member, they do IVF I believe at their Fremont clinic and told me they did not have an age cut-off for own eggs.

All 3 of these clinics were willing to work with me at age 45. We may still go back to one of them and I am now 46 (with good AMH, borderline FSH, last clinical pregnancy 7 months ago, a missed m/c).

Have you considered IUI? Apparently similar success rates to IVF for mid-40s women, especially with a new pump device, can't recall name right now.

GL!
#23 of 24 Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitMama View Post
Hi Readygrace,

Did you try Marin Fertility or CA IVF in Davis? Both told me they did not have an age cut-off for own eggs. If you're a Kaiser member, they do IVF I believe at their Fremont clinic and told me they did not have an age cut-off for own eggs.

All 3 of these clinics were willing to work with me at age 45. We may still go back to one of them and I am now 46 (with good AMH, borderline FSH, last clinical pregnancy 7 months ago, a missed m/c).

Have you considered IUI? Apparently similar success rates to IVF for mid-40s women, especially with a new pump device, can't recall name right now.

GL!
Thank you LitMama for sharing all of this - I am sorry the last pregnancy wasn't a go. Its inspiring to read your perseverance. I was also told age 44 by a fertility doc at RSC that I am not an IVF candidate and I should consider egg donor. I had 2 missed miscarriages this past year and I am considering just letting go, moving on and accepting I will raise one beautiful girl who is now 5.
I am wondering what you did to enhance egg quality as that seems to be my issue. My body got preggy twice in one year but babe couldn't develop past 9 weeks. I m just not sure I have it in me to keep it all up and find ways to try. Your situation inspires me.

44 yr old mom to lovely NCG 5 yr old girl -
2 angels left me 9/13 7/14
#24 of 24 Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Haralove,

I'm sorry to hear about your losses. I think you and I are in the same boat! I'm also still able to get pregnant, but so far, just losses. I'm sure egg quality is an issue for me as well. And, I'm also trying to let go and just enjoy my beautiful daughter (in my case, my child is from a previous marriage and my current husband would like a biological child of his own). I'm not sure how much perseverance I actually have left!

I have no idea if it's actually helping, but here's what I'm taking for egg quality:

Ubiquinol, 400mg (equivalent to 800 or more mg of CoQ10)
NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cystein), 600mg
PQQ (Pyrroloquinoline), 20mg
R-Lipoic Acid, 600mg
Chinese herbal formulas Rxd by my acupuncturist

There's a great new book out that is well-researched and evidence-based called "It Starts with the Egg" (Rebecca Fett) which discusses these supplements. I just started taking the R-Lipoic Acid (a kind of super-antioxidant that keeps other antioxidants circulating in your system) this week based on her recommendation. I had already been taking the other stuff.

She does not talk about NAC or PQQ, I learned about these via my own research. NAC is also a super antioxidant that helps with egg quality and immune system / inflammation issues (which I have). PQQ promotes mitochondrial biogenesis... it helps your cells actually grow new mitochondria, which could help with egg quality, as an egg cell with new mitochondria would essentially be a younger egg. LifeExtension sells a whole range of supplements for cell and mitochondrial health, one of which is recommended by REs for egg quality, called Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer, and it contains PQQ. I took it for 3 months leading up to my IVF cycle last summer, but I stopped afterwards because it's very expensive. So now I just take the PQQ on its own.

Although I'm trying to step away from TTC, I do continue taking these supplements, because I figure it's a can't hurt / might help situation, and they're good for my general health anyway.

I'm wishing you all the best for whichever path you choose!
tracyamber likes this.

Tags
Infertility

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page