Anyone starting Menopur this cycle? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Starting menopur tomorrow with an US on Saturday.  Has anyone else concieved on their first round of menopur? or have tips for doing the self injection?  DH and I have been trying naturally for 4 months now. Neither of us expected to have trouble but I'm learning this is more and more common anymore.  It's encouraging to read others trial and error stories. Thank you for sharing...

#2 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I got pregnant on my second cycle with menopur and letrozole.  This protocol produces fewer eggs than all menopur.  I have a friend who also got pregnant on her second cycle using menopur.  It burns a little when you inject it.  I found that if I rubbed it in a little, it seemed to help.  Take your time when mixing the medicine. 

I'm curious why your doctor prescribed injectables when you've only been trying for 4 months.  Did they suggest Clomid or Letrozole?  Is your age a factor?  It's pretty standard to have a couple try for 6 months (if over 35) or 1 year (f under 35)before moving onto fertility drugs.  The injectables are much more invasive and intense than the pills, and your chance of multiples is higher.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 5 Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Trying for 4 months does not sounds like having trouble! That sounds very early in the game to be going to an RE.

But as for the menopur... I did one round of just menopur, but did not get pregnant. I ended up producing the same number of eggs later on with just letrozole (aka femara, similar to clomid) and I really regretted not having pushed for that before spending thousands of dollars on injectables (my RE at the time said clomid wouldn't help me, that it was only for women who don't ovulate at all, and he never mentioned letrozole, which is routinely used for hyperovulation. I had to figure that out on my own).

So, you might ask about trying clomid or letrozole first, as both are just an oral medication you take for 5 days early in your cycle, versus the more invasive injections. Clomid and letrozole are also very inexpensive, versus the high cost of injectables.

In terms of injection tips... does your clinic offer injection classes? Those really help. In my injection class, we were able to practice right there in the classroom, which took some pressure off the first time doing it at home. Doing it at home... my advice is to get organized (have everything laid out on a table with clear instructions for mixing vials, etc.) and do it when you can really take your time and are not rushed, will not be interrupted, etc. The anticipation of the jab is worse than the jab itself, and you kind of have to just take a deep breath and do it. Icing the area until it was somewhat numb beforehand helped a lot. As did having DH give me a back rub while I was doing it!

Fingers crossed for you!

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
#4 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyAC View Post

I'm curious why your doctor prescribed injectables when you've only been trying for 4 months.

I'd like to know this too. Maybe she meant years?

27 y/o, TTC 3.5 years with PCOS, Hashimoto's, elevated NK cells, and severe MFI. IVF postponed indefinitely while trying to stabilize thyroid.
#5 of 5 Old 03-11-2013, 05:37 AM

I got pregnant on my first round of Menopur. In fact, I used Menopur twice and those were the only two times I got pregnant. Good luck!

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page