Anyone doing IUI? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone. Anyone doing IUI this month? Or done it in the past? Would love to hear your experiences good or bad. Also Wondering if anyone has gotten pregnant on their first IUI try?  I just had my first one done yesterday. We've been doing 100mg Clomid plus progesterone. They added the trigger shot into the mix too. So far feeling hopeful even though statistics on success rates for iui aren't the best.

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
#2 of 38 Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM

We conceived this month with IUI. Previously (last summer) we had done 3 IUI cycles, none resulting in pregnancy. I hope the first time is the charm for you! 

Married to my love stillheart.gif, Mommy to W ('09) homebirth.jpg and Doula.

brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif God has answered our prayers & we welcomed our baby girl earth side 11/24/13 h20homebirth.gif

#3 of 38 Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you SilaMarila and a huge congrats on your pregnancy! jumpers.gif   Thank you for your encouraging story!

#4 of 38 Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM

I haven't started IUI yet.  This past month my HSG revealed a growth that is significantly larger than the RE group usually sees, so they want me to have it out.  I have surgery scheduled for the 2nd of April.  They didn't want to start IUI until I had this taken care og.  It's been such a disappointing month.  We really wanted to start trying- like 2 months ago!  Now we will have to wait until my cycle stabilizes after the hysteroscopy.

Our group of REs says they have a 80% or more success rate within the first 3 cycles of IUI with Clomid.  After that point, they suggest moving on to IVF.  So far we haven't found anything effecting our fertility aside from the growth.  It may have caused some early miscarriages, but it's hard to tell.  Honestly, we didn't even think it would get this complicated this soon.  My husband and I have been trying with charting and care for almost a year and I am 36, so we thought we would just check things out.  Little did we know we'd be starting on the infertility journey.

It's super lonely.  I came on here a few months ago and started reading, after a friend suggested this community.  The worst part is keeping it a secret.  I feel like I want to tell everyone how hurt and sad I feel, but it doesn't feel appropriate.

#5 of 38 Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Hey, I have nearly the exact same plan as you- clomid, trigger, IUI, then progesterone. This is my third try and currently 5dpo. With the trigger and the progesterone i have lots of symptoms but its all side effects of the meds, which is frustrating! I've had two friends recently have first timers luck with their IUIs so I know that it can happen! FX for you!!
#6 of 38 Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

goatmama- Wow, hope once that growth is out you will be well on your way! Is it a old cyst on your ovary or in your uterus? I hope your cycle springs back quick! They say that HSG is not supposed to upset your cycle but it sure messed with mine!

This process has been lonely for me too. I've leaned heavily on this online community! We haven't told family that we are even ttc so no one knows. Part of me just can't handle the questioning, you know? I just feel like when there's some news I'll tell ya!  

My RE gave me the same statistic. He said basically try 4 iui's then move on to something else. Dh's sperm count is high so I've really got my finger's crossed. We've been trying for 1 1/2 years by ourselves then started fertility stuff last December. 

twomommy- I hear ya on the side effects. Before we did meds I could tell early if I was pregnant. No way now! I feel pregnant every time and it screws with you! I can't make heads or tails of any symptom.  Clomid makes me a little weird too. I feel like I don't have a break from the crazies, you know? Wishing you a nice bfp so you can be on your way to baby snuggles! dust.gif

#7 of 38 Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

P.S. goatmama- I love goats too! What type do you have?

#8 of 38 Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM

JustJenny - Thank you. Just to clarify, our first 3 IUI cycles last year were with Clomid + trigger. This most recent cycle was an injectable (Follistim) + trigger and progesterone IUI cycle. Best of luck!

brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif God has answered our prayers & we welcomed our baby girl earth side 11/24/13 h20homebirth.gif

#9 of 38 Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Hi JustJenny!  We raise Oberhasli dairy goats.  I make cheese for the family and sell goats milk soap as well.  We've been raising the goats for 4 years now.  On top of this, I have a really great full time job.  I don't get to sit down very much!

The RE isn't sure what the growth is or how long it has been there.  It is in my uterus, 1 cm, right across from the opening, and they feel concerned that it would disrupt a pregnancy.  So we're having it out.  They have my on BC for this month, which is making me feel really angry, nauseous and the like.  I'm sure it's nothing compared to the Clomid I will be taking next month.  I just walk around feeling frustrated all the time.  My poor husband is so patient with me.  He wants a baby so badly (this is his first, my second: 15 year old daughter).

Best of luck on your new cycles of IUI!!  Keep us updated on how you feel.

#10 of 38 Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 AM

Just yesterday I went in for the follow up with the RE after the hysteroscopy and everything looks good to proceed with IUI this month.  He encouraged me to try injectibles from the start, since I don't have an ovulation issue (that they can see) and Clomid is mainly for anovulatory cyclers.  Has anyone else been doing injectibles for IUI?  I'd love to know your thoughts and experience.  How did you feel?  I'm worried about being an angry lady at work.

Hoping I am part of that awesome statistic of 80% or more success rate with 3 cycles of IUI!

#11 of 38 Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Goatmama - We conceived our last cycle using Injectables + IUI. I'm now 7.5 weeks :) The injections themselves were super easy! The needle is very thin and only penetrates 1/2 an inch (not like an intramuscular injection). Side effects wise, SO much nicer than Clomid! I really had no noticeable emotional side effects! It became a little physically uncomfortable toward ovulation as I had 4 follicles. This increase in follicles gave us a much better chance and it worked!

#12 of 38 Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 AM

I got pregnant with my now 3 year old via IUI. The first two months I was only on Clomid, plus the trigger shot and progesterone. The 3rd round we did a combo of Clomid and injectables along with everything else, and it worked! We have an appointment this month to get the ball rolling for trying for baby #2. I hope things move quickly again (although 3 months is a lifetime when you are waiting and going through all of this). I hope it happens more quickly though. It is so draining emotionally, at least it was for me. It is so hard to spend all the money and put yourself on drugs that make you feel like a crazy person only to be let down and have to wait and try again! That was the worst part about it all for me. If you are prepared for the emotional roller coaster, you will be just fine. Best wishes to you!
#13 of 38 Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

goatmama- that's awesome news! I bet your relieved to be moving forward. Wishing you a bfp the first time around! dust.gif

SilaMarila- I'm going to mention to the Dr about trying injectables.  I'm having such a hard time with Clomid. My body is responding well- I get 4-6 follicles each cycle- so I don't know how willing he would be. We'll see. Do you give the shots on the same cycle days like clomid?

Ellasmommy10- Thank you for sharing your iui story! Hoping you get that bfp very very soon! dust.gif

Me- well my first iui was a bust unfortunately. I'm on cd6 right now and clomid is kicking my butt. We are trying the same thing again this cycle- 100mg clomid, trigger and 200mg progesterone.

#14 of 38 Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Just Jenny - Oh wow, that is a lot of follicles on Clomid! Do they all mature and ovulate? How is your lining holding up to the Clomid though? I responded poorly to Clomid in that I only ever got 1 follicle/cycle. Even on 150mg! Since you grow so many follicles on Clomid I'm sure your RE would be hesitant about injectables for fear of over stimulating you. No, you start the injections on CD 3 and continue them until ovulation. I think I did 11 days of injections? I hope this cycle is it for you!

#15 of 38 Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sila- My lining is doing excellent so far. It was above average I think he said a 9. Most of the follicles are maturing and ovulating. Last cycle 4 of the 6 I had made it. I'm so frustrated that we haven't been able to conceive again because dh has a excellent sperm count. I just have a sinking feeling that my eggs aren't good quality. I guess we'll find out if/when we move on to ivf. I'm still feeling pretty positive but that nagging feeling just wants to hang around smile.gif

#16 of 38 Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 AM

SilaMarila- Thank you for sharing your experience and hope!  That's wonderful news! Do you know if you are having multiples?  That is one thing our Dr. warned us about injectibles- that it's more likely to have them.  But we've been trying for over a year, and want to have more than one, and I am 36.  I wouldn't mind having multiples!  I was hoping for another home birth (I have a 15 year old who was born at home, and it was such a wonderful experience!)  But we are more interested in having a healthy brood. 

JustJenny- I'm sorry to hear you've been having such trouble on Clomid.  I've heard stories!  I'm hoping this will be quick and easy for us, but I know I have to be prepared for the long haul.  We know that I am ovulating, and tracking and timing everything correctly, and my husband has a great sperm count.  It's just an unexplained difficulty right now. 

EllasMommy10-  Thank you for sharing your story too!  I'm so glad to hear that it worked for you.  I hope your #2 baby happens quickly.  We too are working on #2, with 15 years between for me!  My husband and I were just married 1.5 years ago.  He wants babies so badly and talks about a little boy constantly.  It's so sweet.  My first 13 years of experience with motherhood was as a single mom.  It was so difficult, sad, complicated, but strengthening.  I really feel that a baby would be a very healing experience for me.  We are overjoyed at the possibility!  Good luck to you!

#17 of 38 Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 AM

Goatmama - We don't know yet. We chose to decline the early u/s. Based on my numbers I think it's just one. We are planning a homebirth. If we hear 2 heart beats at 12 weeks we will have to get it confirmed and transfer care. Yes, the risk of multiples is much higher with injectables, even more so than with IVF I believe.

#18 of 38 Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM

OK, so anyone else have an abnormally difficult period after a hysteroscopy?  Today will be my 2nd day of follistim- getting ready for first IUI this month.  But gracious- I feel horrible this cycle!  Aches, chills, shooting pains and terrible pains in my stomach.  Even my teeth hurt.  I feel like a truck ran me over!  It's never this bad...  I'm even considering taking a sick day tomorrow.  I just cannot focus. greensad.gif

#19 of 38 Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

goatmama- I had my usually bad period. Maybe with slightly more cramping.  If your fever and chills continue call your doc. I've never taken follistim so I don't know what those side effects are.I wouldn't mess around to long with those symptoms though. Just my .02  Let us know how you improve and how your iui goes!! smile.gif

#20 of 38 Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

goatmamma-  How are you doing? Do you feel any better?

Well, guess what? I got a surprise BFP 5/5 and had a beta test today of 125! Looks like my second iui is a success! joy.gif  I totally thought I was out of the running this month and was preparing myself to do IVF. I had 3 negative tests before I finally got my positive on 15dpo!  I go in next week for a ultrasound to see how many sacs are in there.  Send all your sticky baby dust my way please! I need every ounce.  Here's some for you too dust.gif

#21 of 38 Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Oh that is wonderful JustJenny!!  Good thoughts and well wishes coming your way!

I am feeling better today.  Called the RE and they didn't feel that my symptoms had anything to do with the follistim, since they started earlier that the first shot.  I had a horrible feeling it was a miscarriage, but I think I was over-thinking it.  I was two weeks late, but never had a positive test.  I'm chalking this one up to my body telling me to lay down and stay down!  It's been a really difficult month to say the least....

Doing really well on the shots so far.  No side effects.  Gave one to myself last night.  Much easier than giving a shot to a goat!

Going back to doc tomorrow am for next eval and change in meds.  WIsh me luck- 1st IUI is coming along soon!

#22 of 38 Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad your feeling better. And you are doing so good with those shots! bow.gif  OMG, I couldn't give myself the trigger. Had to have dh do it, lol. I got a funny image in my head of you giving your poor goats shots, lol. Do they take you for a ride??

Wishing you lots of first timers luck on your iui goodvibes.gifgoodvibes.gifdust.giffingersx.gif

#23 of 38 Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 AM

Ugh.  Broken hearted.  Nurse just called to cancel my IUI cycle because my bloodwork showed that I have already ovulated.  She didn't somehow notice that my follicles were measuring smaller than they did on Friday.  Having nothing to compare this to, I have no idea how to feel except: disappointed, sad, like my chest is about to explode. 

I have been achingly tired the past three days.  We did the deed yesterday, as prescribed, but it's possible we still missed our mark.  Ugh.

#24 of 38 Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Oo no! That just sucks. hug2.gif Were you able to DTD before your O date too?  Have you tried to use opk strips?  With my first iui I had to tell them that I was ovulating earlier than expected so we switched dates. It helped give me confidence that their timing was right also.  Hope you caught that egg any way! goodvibes.gif

Edited to say: Even if you do triggers- which would affect the opk- you could at least determine that you didn't ovulate prior to the trigger/iui. I'm not sure if follistim would affect opk though....

#25 of 38 Old 05-13-2013, 02:53 PM

They told me that they have no way of knowing when I ovulated.  It had to have happened either Sat or Sun, and we DTD on Sunday afternoon, so hopefully we caught it.  Even so, we'd been trying that way for a long time, and it hasn't taken yet (hence the plan to use IUI). 

I know that I have a tendency to ovulate on day 11, and had a feeling about this, but hadn't been tracking because the whole thing was off this month (late period, heavy and weird).  And it was all happening over a weekend.  Today the nurse said they should have prescribed me a suppressant like Lupron, but they hadn't.  I have to question-- if they always prescribe Lupron, why didn't they prescribe it for me?  Now another month and another cycle, and exhausting one, is lost.  I feel angry!

#26 of 38 Old 05-14-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Sheesh that's quite a oversight! I'd be flamin' mad too. Cuss.gif   When your first starting out with infertility stuff its hard to ask questions because they don't disclose the full protocol or divulge all the different things they can do. I find this makes me so crazy because I am so proactive about my health and will ask them all the why's, you know?  If you had known about Lupron you would have reminded them!!  It just chaps my ass sometimes that people are so lax.  I realize that mistakes are always possible - but- its us that suffers! hug2.gif

Here's some extra baby dust for ya dust.gif

#27 of 38 Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the baby dust!  How are you feeling now, JustJenny?  Any preg symptoms yet?  Hope you are feeling well!

#28 of 38 Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Feeling pretty good. I really don't have many symptoms yet. My boobs are super sensitive, I've felt a little dizzy and occasionally nauseated but that's only been a few times and didn't linger. Craving salty foods.  I had my first ultrasound Tuesday and got to see my little embryo in there! My progesterone is hangin in there too. The low side of normal but still normal!

#29 of 38 Old 05-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Trying for IUI monthX2 just cancelled.  I have cysts on my ovaries from overstimming last cycle.  I feel horrible about it.  Trying to laugh things off, but it hurts.  The nurse wasn't very friendly or gentle.  She just told me the news like, "You've got cysts lady.  You're not doing anything this month."  Going on BC for the month and feeling very bitter about it. 

The emotional side of trying is the most difficult part.  It's the "in" thing to be pregnant right now in my circle of friends, so I am seeing and hearing about a lot of others who aren't having any problem at all.  I feel like a failure and the reality that there is actually something wrong is starting to sink in.  When we started seeing the RE several months ago, I still believed this would be easy.  They told us most of their patients (80%) conceive within 3 cycles of IUI.  Well, I can't even get to the IUI!

Rainy, teary, bad news day.

#30 of 38 Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

goatmama-hug2.gif big hugs. I'm sorry you had to cancel and had crappy nurse. Did she tell you the measurements and how many?  Where are you at in your cycle? I ask this because if they were on the smaller side you should be able to continue. I know all providers and situations are different but- I had cysts every month. They were small enough I guess that the Dr. didn't worry about them and I started clomid cycle again. They always went away by my ultrasound right before the iui.  I can't believe you have to do bc this month. I'd be sick too.hug2.gif

Edited to add- if I remember correctly didn't your Dr. start you with follistim? You never did a clomid cycle, right? I think I might question that decision, goatmama. 

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page