PCOS, TTC on Metformin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-13-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies:

First time posting. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14. I had two boys,now 12 and 16. I conceived without having no cycle. I am very irregular sometime up to 5yrs without a cycle. I now have been trying to conceive with my partner for two years and had 3 miscarriages in the past year. I started a cycle on July 26th and ended on July 31st. The Doctor gave me Metformin which I started on Aug 1st. Three days after my cycle and two days on 850mg of Metformin I felt the common symptoms of the pill. Had diarrhea for the two days, dizzy and nauseous. But I also, felt cramps on one side and my breast started getting swollen and tender nipples. To this day, I am feeling these symptoms, moodiness, cramping, metallic taste, very sore breasts, nausea, certain foods make me sick, my scene of smell is enhanced, craving sweets, which I never cared for sweets even when I was little. Bloated and also my hands and feet at times feel swollen. I started 1700 mg of Metformin 2 days ago. I know is too early and I just took a test, which came out with a very, very faint half positive line. I don't think I am pregnant, had a lot of experiences with false positive tests. Have any of you ladies experienced these symptoms while taking Metformin? I feel preggo but I am confused. I never had all these symptoms for such a long period of time. I think is too early for me to be pregnant. Any advise?

#2 of 3 Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)

HI anameyla!

Welcome to Mothering. I have no experience with Metformin, but I am bumping up your post for input.

#3 of 3 Old 09-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any update?

Diarrhea, nausea, and certain foods making you sick are all very common side effects of Metformin. Your doctor should've warned you about those and told you to work your way up to your full dose. I am on 500 mg pills and was told to do one a day for a week, then proceed to two a day for a week if I felt OK, and then move on to three the following week if side effects had subsided. If you did that and continue to have these symptoms, ask to try the extended release version. It's supposed to be easier on the stomach.

I don't think dizziness is a common side effect, but I did experience that early on for a few days. It was so bad that my husband stayed home from work to watch over me. Make sure you're drinking enough water. I always drink a lot, so I think for me it was just part of the adjustment period, but I've heard that staying hydrated is very important on Metformin.

The moodiness could be from it affecting your hormones, though my moods became more stable because my testosterone went back to normal (it was elevated before Metformin). Sore breasts and cramps could be hormonal too, from it regulating your cycle. If you don't normally ovulate (likely, if you go a long time without a period) and now you are, those symptoms may seem unfamiliar.

Metformin affects blood sugar too, so that might have something to do with you craving sweets, although I didn't experience that either. I had blood sugar issues and sweet cravings before Met, and feel more even now, with fewer cravings. I can't comment on the metallic taste, bloating, or change in sense of smell.

27 y/o, TTC 3.5 years with PCOS, Hashimoto's, elevated NK cells, and severe MFI. IVF postponed indefinitely while trying to stabilize thyroid.

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page