Husband has 0 sperm count - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH and I have been trying to conceive for a long time. We've been having test run and my doctor thought I could possibly have endometriosis but will test for that last once other things are ruled out. Well she called today and said that my DH has no sperm in his semen analysis. She went over our next steps and other stuff but my mind was everywhere and I couldn't retain what she was telling me. Has anyone dealt with this or know someone who has?? I'm really heart broken and clueless about what this means.
#2 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM

First of all, he should have a second semen analysis, just to be sure it wasn't a fluke, or some kind of lab error. Has he been on testosterone replacement therapy (shots, patches, etc.)? That's the most common cause of 0 sperm count. It is usually temporary in that case and will improve sometime after stopping the TRT. If that isn't it, he should be evaluated by a urologist who specializes in infertility. It may be that he has sperm, but there's some kind of blockage preventing them from getting out. If they can't fix the blockage, they can do TESE (testicular sperm extraction), but I think you're limited to IVF with ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) that way. I assume you don't get that many to work with. I'm sorry, that's really all I know. Zero sperm count is called azoospermia, if you want to do some research. I hope you can find a relatively easy solution.

27 y/o, TTC 3.5 years with PCOS, Hashimoto's, elevated NK cells, and severe MFI. IVF postponed indefinitely while trying to stabilize thyroid.
#3 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Michelly. My doctor has referred us back to a RE and him to a Urologist that does specialize in infertility. My DH hasn't been on any shots or medication. But hopefully he is still producing and there is sperm. Again I appreciate your input!
#4 of 16 Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Hi,

I tried to PM you, but apparently I don't have permission since I don't post a lot (i.e., ever!). But we're in exactly the same position- just found out 2 weeks ago. If you'd like to message me, please do, because I know my head has just been swirling ever since we found out.

#5 of 16 Old 08-25-2013, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I have been what you are going through and the feelings surrounding have a DH with azoospermia can be overwhelming. DH's first sperm assay had zero sperm. I didn't even know that was possible for a man to have absolutely no sperm. Hormone levels for testosterone were at the low end of normal for him and he had never been on testosterone replacement therapy. His follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) was high so his testis were trying to make sperm but nothing was happening.

Our first meeting with the urologist after our family Dr gave us the no sperm news was less than encouraging. Basically the urologist said that my DH had no way of having biological children, but that he wanted to do another sperm assay to be sure and test my DH's hormones. DH and I cried a lot for the 2 months between initial no sperm diagnosis and the surprise that DH did have some live ammo.

For some men, they have sperm but the need an extra push of vitamins and mineral to get those few out. That is what happened with my DH. When DH got the initial no sperm diagnosis, I ordered Fertilaid for Men, Countboost, and Motilityboost for him. He took that for 6 weeks and had another sperm assay. This time there were 25 sperm! Basically zero because the doctor said it could go either way for the next sperm assay, but there was SOMETHING! The urologist referred us to a reproductive endocrinologist who immediately recommended sperm freezing.

Ah, here is the lowdown on DH's numbers just to give you some reference.

FSH - 34 - very elevated - supposed to be 5-15

LH - 10.39 - a little high the doctor said

Prolactin - 17.3

Testosterone - 325

Semen Analysis

volume - 3.5 ml
sperm count - 0.025 million/mm3 - that means there were only 25 of them from a note further down the report

They didn't do a morphology due to the very low sperm count.

Semen Motility percentages were based on 25 sperm

Forward progressive motility - 8%

Slow sluggish motility - 16 %

Non-progressive motility - 20%

Non-motile - 56% (Comment: decreased motility may be due to either non-viable or non-motile sperm)

Viscosity and liguefaction were normal

Diagnosis - primary testicular failure - But there are some sperm!

DH kept taking the vitamins and over the June, July, and August 2012 we froze sperm in order to get enough to try an IVF round with ICSI which is intracytoplasmic sperm in jection. We did IVF in March 2013 and got  pregnant over Easter Weekend via IVF. It wasn't the way I thought I would get pregnant but I am now 23 weeks along with twin boys.

Sometimes the vitamins don't work, for example if your DH has some sort of blockage or is missing a vas deferens. The vitamins were expensive, but I know that when we got a fresh sample at our IVF, DH's sperm count was back to zero so I know they made a difference for my DH. We had stopped the vitamins after the doctors told us we had enough sperm frozen to do an IVF cycle.

I hope your DH is able to find answers but with male infertility there isn't always an answer for why there are no sperm. There isn't as much research going on around male infertility either as there is with female infertility.

Have faith that one day you will have a little one. It may not be how you thought it would, possibly through IVF with ICSI, maybe through sperm donation or embryo adoption, or through infant or child adoption. I hope your dreams of becoming a mother will come true soon. Be prepared for lots of wait and see. It took almost a year from initial no sperm diagnosis to pregnancy for us.

Feel free to PM if you like (although I think you have to have at least 10 forum posts to do that).

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#6 of 16 Old 08-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Just a note about testosterone levels - the normal range is meant to account for men of all ages, with older men being at the bottom and younger men at the top. The first urologist my husband saw told him he didn't need treatment for his many, obvious symptoms of low T because his T was in the normal range, even though it was at the very bottom (305). And that was during an AM test when T is highest, meaning throughout the day his T would be well below normal. The second urologist we saw - who actually specializes in infertility - said right away that at my husband's age, his T should be at least double, but preferably more like 700. He immediately put him on Clomid, saying that was our best option to treat the low T and low sperm count. He said other options would likely only treat the low T. Unfortunately Clomid only raised his testosterone, not his sperm count, although his motility and morphology went up a bit. I do know people, though, who had success increasing count with Clomid or hCG shots, or even just vitamins.

Obviously this is no longer relevant for Lilac (congrats on your twins!) but I thought the OP should be aware. I didn't mention hormones earlier because from what I've seen, low or off hormones usually mean low count rather than none at all, but they should definitely check his hormones too.

27 y/o, TTC 3.5 years with PCOS, Hashimoto's, elevated NK cells, and severe MFI. IVF postponed indefinitely while trying to stabilize thyroid.
#7 of 16 Old 10-07-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I've been away from this site for awhile trying to wrap my head around everything.  My and husband and I have been going to a Urologist that specializes in infertility and he referred my husband to an Endocrinologist after finding a Pituitary Tumor.  The Endo did more blood work and feels like my husband has a Non-Functioning Pituitary Tumor. So, basically what I understood was that the tumor was compressing on gland resulting in Low LH, which is causing low testosterone.  The doctor felt that we should avoid going through with surgery to remove the tumor since it still was in the micro stage, and instead monitor it every six months for growth.  We are waiting on the Urologist to let us know which treatment my husband will be prescribed.  The Endo mentioned Clomid or hCG shots.  So, now we are waiting. Please feel free to PM anytime (well not sure that I can PM either).. I'm going to try and start being active on this site.  I'm new at this, but could use any input! Thanks! Hope all is well.

#8 of 16 Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Lilacvioletiris-- Thank you for sharing your story!  I always find others' experiences inspiring and heartening.  Also, it is a wonderful feeling to know we aren't alone :).  I do apologize for just now responding.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I've stayed away from the computer all together to avoid further researching until my husband and I had definite answers.  I know he and I still have a long road ahead of us, but we are praying that he will respond to the Clomid or hCG injections, whichever he is prescribed.  I think the worst part of all of this is the wait (and we've got a long road ahead of us), and obviously the financial burden (and that's just starting)  :O.  Going from one doctor to another has been tiring, but it will definitely be worth it in the end.  Even if we don't have success with conceiving a biological child, we have agreed that adoption will be the next step.  The only thing that truly matters to us is being parents to a precious child one day!!  Thanks again and congrats on your pregnancy!!!!!!!

#9 of 16 Old 10-07-2013, 06:00 PM

jh2013, I am glad that you at least have a reason for the low testosterone and zero count. Sometimes men get no answers because the doctors just don't know "why". I hope that the Clomid or HCG shots give him what he needs to make sperm so you can try for a biological child. The waiting is so hard but if you take one step at a time and set small goals for yourself along the way, it gets better, especially with the saving money for procedures part of the waiting. I hope things get better as time moves on and if necessary, if you need to adopt, that you will become the parents of a very special child.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#10 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 AM

I figured I'd search Food for Men's Fertility and post that info here. It's from Livestrong.

ASPARAGUS, SNOW PEAS AND STRAWBERRIES
Asparagus, snow peas and strawberries are all heavy in vitamin C and this will help sperm motility and viability. Motility is the ability to swim and make its way to the egg and is one of the most important factors when it comes to conception and fertility. When the asparagus, snow peas and strawberries are not treated with any pesticides according to the British government, this can have a dramatic impact on the man's ability to produce healthy sperm. Have at least one of these foods every day when trying to get your partner pregnant.

PUMPKIN SEEDS AND OYSTERS
Pumpkin seeds and oysters are very heavy in zinc, which is one of the most important elements when it comes to producing proper testosterone levels and sperm counts. A high sperm count is a key factor when it comes to fertility. The higher the sperm count, the more likely it is that a sperm cell will make its way to the egg and produce a viable pregnancy. Have at least one of these or other zinc-rich foods like turkey, beef, oatmeal or corn every day when trying to get your partner pregnant.

RED PEPPERS AND CARROTS
Red peppers and carrots are two natural foods that are highest in vitamin A. Many men who struggle with fertility issues do because the sperm does not swim well or is not likely to swim a long way. The presence of vitamin A is much more likely to help the man produce healthy sperm and battle the sluggish sperm that will not make the full journey. Have at least one of these foods every day when trying to get your partner pregnant.

REFERENCES
http://theadventurouswriter.com/blogbaby/quipstipscouplesinfertility/health/5-foods-that-increase-sperm-count-production-and-motility/
http://fertility.amuchbetterway.com/vitamins-to-increase-male-fertility/

eat.gif
#11 of 16 Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 AM

In my husband's case, he was actually born without complete vas deferens so his sperm had no way of getting out! It turns out this can be a marker for the cystic fibrosis gene, so we felt it was a bittersweet blessing in disguise. We have a beautiful 4yr old via donor sperm and IUI.
#12 of 16 Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM

I've been lurking for a bit now, but felt I needed to chime in. A dear friend is going through a similar situation. They recently found out that her husband is profoundly sterile, probably due to a dangerous case of mumps as a child. It's been very stressful for everyone.

#13 of 16 Old 04-29-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

So, My husband started clomid in October.  His testorone went from 102 to 330 in one month.  In January he had a completely normal SA. We were shocked and very HAPPY.  We've been ttc since November.  In late March, my doctor found that I had too much uterine thickness and polyps after doing a hysteroscopy.  So, I had a D and C, Diagnostic Laproscopic surgery and HSG all at once :(.  The doc removed 3 cyst from the overys and burned away a small spot of Endometriosis. My husband and I have decided to proceed on to IUI with Letrozole and HcG Injection.  So, now that I'm all "cleared out", we may have a better chance at ttc especially with a little boost.  My husband and I just hope the he is ****l responding to the Clomid. He has another SA May 1st.  Our RE has suggested that we freeze a few samples to be safe.

I do want to thank everyone for responding to this thread.  I hope all is well for everyone and those that are dealling with infertility, just stay hopeful!

#14 of 16 Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Definitely freeze some for future tries so you have backup, but a good SA is great.

#15 of 16 Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

Definitely freeze some for future tries so you have backup, but a good SA is great.

Husband went for is first round of freezing, bless him. He dreads having to do this but knows it's for a good reason. I think he goes two more times depending if all the samples are good.

How are your twin boys??? Congrats by the way!!
#16 of 16 Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 PM

The twins are great! Beginning teething I think which has been intense. Show DH some extra love as he goes in for the freezings. I know it was hard for my husband to produce "on demand". really hurt his ego to have to do it. But it is amazing to see the results!

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page