Breastfeeding and Femara for infertility - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've been here.  My son just turned 1 this week.  I have had baby fever since the day he was born, as in the last year has gone by WAY too fast, and I have only become more sure I wanted a third.  Until last night, my husband was a different story.  He told me last night he's ready to start trying for a third.  The problem is, I struggled for two years to become pregnant with my 2nd.  For the first part of those two years, I was still nursing my daughter.  She was a year when we first started trying, and weaned at 2 1/2 yrs.  Toward the end of that time, I tried clomid and when that did not work, femara, which did.  Now I'm 33, and don't want to struggle another 2 years, or through any more losses.  I am going to talk to my RE, but I would like to try Femara again after a few months if we haven't conceived on our own.  Honestly, I'm not real hopeful that we will do this on our own.  With my first, we had to try 6 cycles before we conceived.  And I think breastfeeding disrupts my cycle just enough.  I don't want to quit nursing, I would like to nurse until at least 2 yrs again.  But I know if I bring this up to my doctor, he will tell me to wean first before any meds.  I haven't been able to find any info on my own, other than there aren't really studies, and it's not recommended that nursing moms use it.  Can anyone share their experience or info?  Thank you so much

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
#2 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I should add, I got my period back at 3 mos pp with my son. :/

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
#3 of 7 Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Well I found this old thread. http://www.mothering.com/community/t/515136/femara-letrozole-while-nursing-ok

I think the medical recommendation is to NOT breatfeed while taking it. It is a category D drug in pregnancy. It does appear to get excreted in breast milk but in small quantities. But, it is a pretty powerful drug and I just don't know what the effect would be on a baby.

That being said, I'm sure there have been women who've done it and had everything turn out fine. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can chime in.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#4 of 7 Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
PS. You could also ask the doc to check your prolactin levels now to see if the breast feeding you're doing is even having an effect on your chances of getting pregnant.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#5 of 7 Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Xerxella!  I am making an appointment with my RE right now.

#6 of 7 Old 12-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Did you checked LactMed? http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT
The KellyMom website usually has good info about drugs and nursing, but I can't find the source I was looking for. If I find it, I will post it later. Good luck to you! I used Femara too and would like to know if it's safe while nursing.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 7 Old 12-03-2013, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Found it!

The InfantRisk Center (headed by Dr. Thomas Hale in the US) has a phone helpline (1-806-352-2519) and additional information on medication use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page