The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-17-2013, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For medication reminders, I'm using an app called Dosecast. It sends a notification, and then it keeps beeping every 5 minutes to remind me, which I find helpful if I can't take the meds right that second.

Xerxella, that's great that you have a definitive answer about what the problem was. 

Silver - sorry about the BFN. We're doing donor egg in Greece right now, it was so much cheaper here and included a vacation! Which we wouldn't be able to have if we paid for donor egg in North America...

Elrex - welcome!

tracyamber - We didn't try that particular supplement, but the one we did try had zero effect on DH's sperm. Other people have had success with it, but they all seemed to have better sperm to begin with. We're dealing with low count, low motility, and zero for morphology.

AFM - The retrieval was today, so we had to pop by the clinic so DH could provide the swimmers. Tomorrow we'll get a report on how many eggs fertilized. In Greece egg donation is completely anonymous by law, but there was a young lady in the waiting room who I think must have been our donor. She had an IV bandage on her hand and she matched the description. So that was kind of awkward, but kind of nice in a way.

Greece is a bit challenging as a tourist, the alphabet is different so finding the right street signs for things is difficult. Most people speak English, so we have to ask directions a lot. We're lucky to have navigation on our phone, otherwise I don't know how we would manage! We do have a coordinator for the clinic, she is British so that helps a lot with communication, although she wasn't able to be at the clinic today. The clinic was new and modern looking, although there seemed to be only two or three staff - much different than the clinic in Vancouver, where there are dozens of people coming and going all the time.

I am taking drugs that I haven't taken before, baby aspirin and tomorrow I'm supposed to start taking Medrol, which I think is similar to prednisone. I don't know why they want me on that, I'm a bit nervous about it as I took prednisone once, years ago, and had a bad reaction to it. Also, of course the dreaded prometrium starts tonight. Yuck.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure how many are doing clomid but I have 20 pills 50mg each left over from the cycle before pregnancy. If anyone is interested let me know. Good luck to all (:

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Old 12-17-2013, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It sucks waiting to ovulate. 2 months, 4 weeks, and 1 day. My body tries, my body fails, my body bleeds, repeat. Can't I at least get a chance? I want to be in the 2ww for once!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Everyone in the whole dang world is pregnant. :P Present company unfortunately excepted. Sigh.

X - So what ever happened to the plan to do PGD on all embryos before freezing? I'm both happy and sad to hear your embryo had such big issues. But maybe if you can get the right embryo and the right uterine conditions to line up, you will get your miracle baby.

Laggie - Good luck! Keep us posted. Are you staying in Greece for the TWW.

WoA - I feel, sister. Most of the 18 months it took to conceive my son were annovulatory, meaning 0% chance of conception most of the time.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 12-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Laggie - the whole thing sounds like such an exciting adventure! I took Medrol for all 3 of my FETs, it's standard protocol at my clinic. I gotta say, that is the grossest pill ever. Even if you swallow it lightning fast you can never avoid getting the taste on your tongue and it's sooooo nasty! Luckily I only had to take it for 1 week each cycle.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Laggie so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please give us a daily update....... Please;)
Old 12-18-2013, 04:36 AM

Hi all. Just wandered over from the old thread. It sure looks like a great group this time around! I look forward to getting to know all of you.

X- I am glad they were able to gain some additional information about what happened this last time around. Do you have any idea what your next move is?

Sourire- It sure is nice to watch that little ticker in your signature swimming along.

Silver- I am sorry about your BFN but I am glad your life is so full and active!

Laggie- Wow what an amazing experience! You are both very brave and I have my fingers crossed for you!

AFM- Our road has been bumpy, especially recently but we just got word on Monday that we are back on for our cycle in January. Which means I start Lupron tomorrow! That is if I can get it in time... rolleyes.gif This will be our second time going through IVF w/ ICSI. My tubes are blocked, I have PCOS, and am pre diabetic. My husband started with a low sperm count that has devolved rapidly to nearly zero (three non motile sperm in the last sample) we still aren't sure why exactly but it's likely hormone related. His first appointment with the Reproductive Urologist is the same week as my egg retrieval. Our RE doesn't think he will ever make enough sperm again to get them the normal way so before we start looking into extracting sperm bigeyes.gif we are using up our only vial of frozen sperm that we had as a backup from our last cycle. This has all happened so fast we are feeling like we have whip lash and have had no time to develop the precycle nerves this time around. Just going to hold our breath and jump in with both feet.

namaste.gif 37 married to the greatest guy in the world tiphat.gif45 w/ azoospermia from low T

IVF #1 angel1.gifangel1.gif

Frozen Transfer neg.gif

IVF #2 Cancled

IVF #3 ???

Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

KeliG, I hope your vial of sperm that is frozen is enough to do the job with ICSI. I know it was stressful for my DH to keep putting out samples with just 10 sperm or so per collection/freeze until we had enough vials to try IVF with ICSI. Here is to hoping that your egg retrieval goes well and that there are some "super star sperm" in your frozen vial to do the trick with ICSI.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Tracy- I haven't heard of Wellman supplements. What's in them?

Adiejan- What are the clinics success rates with that plan over an IUI? It doesn't sound like it's much different. I thought most minimal stim ivfs got one or 2 embryos per cycle and would do multiple cycles while freezing all they got. And then put back the one or two best with an FET.

Laggie- I'm super excited for your cycle!!!! I can't wait to hear the fertilization report today. How many eggs did they get? So exciting!!!

Wifeofant- Ugh. I'm sorry. I don't know much about PCOS, but I wish your body would cooperate and at least ovulate and give you a chance.

Monkey - I'm not against PGD, but it just didn't happen. And I didn't speak up before hand. It didn't seem really worth it for just 3 or 4 blasts. Now to do it we would have to thaw, biopsy and revitrify. There's risks with that. And it just doesn't seem worth it. There's only 7, so we can just put them back one at a time as our last ditch effort. I'm 38 1/2 now. Of course, they don't age, so I might as well use them in my 40's.

Keli - January is coming so fast!!!! Goo luck with everything. Keep us updated. I love following along on people's ivf cycles.

AFM - We'll just continue to try hoping we'llfind that good egg. Our plan is to do a stimulated cycle in January with an IUI. I want to be pretty aggressive and I mostly got the doc to agree. For the last IVF I had 7 follicles growing and everything was put back and we can see how that turned out. I'm good with just repeating the ivf cycle again and doing the IUI with those same 7 follicles, but we'll see how it all unfolds.

So, for now, I wait to ovulate and wait for my period and I'll start the next cycle then.

PS. My HCG on Monday was down to 10, so it should be negative but the time my next cycle starts.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Well, it's been 62 days since my last period. Sigh. That is all.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Baby Boy born 11/4/2014 at 33 weeks and 1 day - Atlanta, GA

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
Old 12-18-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyMo View Post

hug.gif

How long do your cycles usually run?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyMo View Post

hug.gif

How long do your cycles usually run?

Ever since July they have been 42, 39, 54, etc. No consistency at all, which is why my doc had blood test done and suspected that PCOS may be culprit due to my weight gain over the years.

I just need to lose some weight and I should get back on track but I'm trying. I'm just sick of this awful crampy feeling and nothing being there.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Baby Boy born 11/4/2014 at 33 weeks and 1 day - Atlanta, GA

Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM

May I join you ladies?

My DH and I have been TTCing since September 2010, which brings us to 39 months in total.  I am 33 and he is closing in on 40.

My diagnosis is PCOS (I also have hypothyroidism and insulin resistance), however I do ovulate on my own although I do have longer cycles (between 40-75 days).  DH has been tested and all is perfect with him.  We're considered Unexplained Infertility since I do ovulate on my own.

We been with our FC for a while and have tried 4 rounds of clomid and 3 rounds of fermara, with no luck.  The Dr. is suggesting we go right to IVF, but we're on the fence.  I want to try an IUI.  It's complicated, though, because we live in an area without a FC so we need to fly to the nearest one, which increases our costs.

Hope it's okay that I join!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:38 PM

Welcome mucosa!
Where do you live? And what is FC?
Would your insurance cover IVF?

Everyone else... I cannot keep up with all the names... I'm sorry the more we converse the easier it will be for me . So a big hi to everyone smile.gif
X- what is a stimulated IUI?
Oh and the Wellman is a supplement to up sperm count and all. I'd have to check for the ingredients.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

Welcome mucosa!
Where do you live? And what is FC?
Would your insurance cover IVF?

I live in Manitoba, Canada.  The FC is my fertility clinic, which is in Winnipeg and I have to fly to get there.

My (or DH's) insurance does not cover the cost of anything related to infertility.  It's not considered a 'medical issue'.

Thanks for the welcome.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mulsa - Welcome!!!!! Maybe to cut down on trips you could do a stimulated cycle with timed intercourse instead. They could give you shots and maybe monitor you locally like they did for the clomid and femera cycles and then you wouldn't have to travel for the IUI. Just a thought.

Tracy - A stimulated IUI is basically a regular IUI. The other side is a natural IUI where they just let your body do it's thing and then do the IUI. I plan on being on almost the same dose I did for IVF, but just do an IUI instead. I think I would've had the same result this last time if I had just done an IUI.

And, the well man supplements sound like they're worth a shot. What have you got to lose?

wave.gif to everyone!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Hi All!

X- The clinic I am working with actually has about a 75% success rate with all IVF treatments.  I am not really sure with just mini.  I have done 4 IUI's with many follicles but have only been pregnant the time that was ectopic.  I felt like the last Dr. I saw really wasn't paying attention to my IUI cycles as I wish he would have.  In fact my new Dr. really feels that some of the follicles that I had on IUI were probably left over cysts from other cycles.  So I really don't feel like this mini IVF will be at all like my IUI cycles. I also forgot to mention that this clinic's embryologist does all ICSI so that is very different as well.  When do you plan on doing your IUI? 

Mulsa- Hi! PCOS is such a bummer.  I was also ovulating on my own but have found this entire process to be more than I bargained for.  I didn't realize how many problems pcos can make besides the ovulation thing!  So hugs to you on this journey!  Have you done the hysteroultrasonogram (sp?) and test to make sure your tubes aren't blocked and that everything else looks good?

Mo- Boooo I hope you start soon...it sucks being out of the game!

KeliG- What a story!  When do you actually start this cycle?  I am on cd1 and I would love to have someone to sort of go through this with!  FX for you!

Laggie- Greece sounds amazing!  How did it feel to potentially see the egg donor.  It sounds like it would be emotional!  I guess everything is emotional on all these hormones!!  Please let us know how you're doing!  So curious!

AFM:  I'm here on cd1 of my first IVF cycle.  I'm excited, nervous, hopeful, scared, etc.  I have an appt with my re tomorrow to do a mock transfer and to make sure I don't have any left over cysts.  I got a little freaked out when all of my meds arrived at the site of all of those needles!!  Yikes!

Me- 35 pcos DH- 37 no issues
TTC since December 2008 9 clomid cycles...break! 2 more clomid cycles with trigger and TI
IUI #1 April 2013- BFP Ectopic May 2013 IUI #2,#3,#4 BFN
IVF #1 Dec 2013- BFP! MC 9 1/2wks.
IVF #2 June 2014- OHSS 5 frosties
FET #1 August 2014 BFP!!
Identical Twins!!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

adiejan - I've never heard of an overall 75% IVF success rate. Can I ask what clinic you're working with? I think they may have over represented themselves to you. The best clinic in the US is CCRM and for women under 35 with the best possible outcome their pregnancy rate is 70%. https://www.sartcorsonline.com/rptCSR_PublicMultYear.aspx?ClinicPKID=1902 A clinic is considered good if it's pregnancy rate is above 40%. I don't know if Canada has an equivalent reporting requirement like the US: http://www.sart.org/find_frm.html That website tells you the success rates of every clinic in the US.

This Canadian clinic states the overall IVF average of live birth for Canadian clinics is 29%. http://www.conceptia.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=5&lang=en (But, with your young age, you'll have much better statistics. Maybe that's what they meant.)

I'm not trying to be troublesome (although I know I am) I just think everyone should go into all this stuff being well informed. I hate it when docs lie or misrepresent themselves to patients. I also don't want you to go in with unreasonable expectations. Mini IVF isn't considered much more successful than IUI, especially if you don't have male factor.

It's never a bad idea to ask your doc directly what their success rate is for mini ivf. And, then do your research. If their success rates are that great, they'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 PM

truedat.gif
X- I love that you really know your stuff. You have helped me in many ways. The process of IVF can be confusing.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 PM

X-thanks for looking out for me! It looks like their published data from 2011 states 67%. So I guess I see tomorrow. I am confused about how an iui can possibly be as effective as mini stim plus-IVF? Since with none of my Iui's could I be sure of actual eggs, embryo quality, or even fertilization at all? Maybe knowing a bit more just makes me feel better haha!

TTC since December 2008 9 clomid cycles...break! 2 more clomid cycles with trigger and TI
FET #1 August 2014 BFP!!
Identical Twins!!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Funny news today... Originally our coordinator had told us that 8 out of 10 eggs had fertilized, and then yesterday that they were all doing well. DH was making jokes all day today that they were going to call and say that actually they had 10 now, that they found 2 more in a cupboard, etc. And it turns out that the last two did fertilize after all! So now we have six graded "good" and four that are "fair."

Transfer is on Sunday morning; tomorrow we're going on a cruise tour of three of the small islands near Athens. It's supposed to be 13 degrees (celsius) and sunny tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that. I have to run, we're headed out for supper, hi everybody!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Laggie- that is awesome!!! Grow embies grow!! Have fun exploring! It gives this whole process an exotic flair that you are in Greece! I love it! (Wow, I just noticed that's a lot of exclamation points...but I really mean it!! Haha)

FET #1 August 2014 BFP!!
Identical Twins!!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Adiejan- how'd it go today? It's so exciting to start a new cycle!! My understanding is that it all comes down to number of eggs to find the good ones. If they get more, they're more likely to find your take home baby in there. Since there's so much attrition along the way, it feels like you need more to get to your happy ending. But, you'll definitely find things out from this cycle. Maybe your DH's swimmers look great, but don't fertilize your eggs. Maybe the follicles look great, but don't contain good quality eggs. I think you'll certainly learn something from this cycle! Sometimes just getting answers is worth it.

Laggie - congrats on finding 2 extra embryos in the cupboard!!!! Were they just late fertilizers? I've heard of that happening (but I've never been that lucky). Rescue ICSI? So is that a 3 day transfer? How many will you transfer? Do they vitrify and store any leftovers for you? I'm super excited for you too!!!!! How was the cruise????

Old 12-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So this cycle was a bust and judging by the way AF is going, my lining was crap. We cycle with insurance which is great because we don't have to pay anything. Unfortunately this means we can't get approval to cycle this month in time so I am just sitting around for the next 20 something days. I'm hoping to get in for an endometrial biopsy sometime this week & try again in late January.

C + B + 10y together, 6y married, 5y TTC= endometriosis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis
recurrent miscarriages IVF 2/13@10w , FET 6/13@7w, IVF 10/13@4w, FET 2/14 @4w
Failed IVF 5/14, IVF OHSS Freeze all with PGD 8/14- 6 PGD normal embryos
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Cautiously expecting TWINS after FET of 2 PGD normal 5 day blastocysts 9/13/14
***4***8**12***16***20***24***28***32***36* **40
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM

Has anyone used herbs like vitex and red clover blossom?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 AM

toothfairy - I'm sorry, it sucks to wait but at least you can have wine at New Year's Eve? Did you get any answers from the recurrent loss testing?

Xerxella - I'm not sure where they found the other two, they told me that they had actually fertilized so early that they were missed at the first look? But that makes no sense so I have no idea. We did ICSI for all of them since DH's sperm is poor quality. The cruise was great, the weather was beautiful and we got to sit up on the top sundeck of the boat, laying in the sun on giant beanbag chairs.

adiejan - if you do a monitored IUI cycle, they check to see how many eggs you have and can pinpoint ovulation more precisely. Maybe that is the difference? More eggs + IUI could work if your problem isn't male factor? I have no idea though, my Vancouver doctor basically doesn't believe in IUI, he says it is the same as timed intercourse. Anyway, best of luck with your cycle! Don't worry about the needles, they aren't so bad. Actually with this donor egg cycle it has been pills, pills, pills, and I'm starting to feel like i'd rather have the shots. I hate swallowing pills.

Hi Mulsa! Welcome to a fellow Canadian!

Keli - Are you doing daily Lupron or was it the single injection?

Sourire - the Medrol is awful, I ended up putting the pills inside a gelcap because I kept gagging at the taste of them.

AFM - Well, things are a bit different here, the clinic in Athens is TINY with only three staff on at a time. I am used to a huge clinic in Vancouver with two receptionists and four doctors, plus all of the embryologists and nurses. It was nice though, very relaxed.

Anyway. We met with the embryologist and she told us that we were down to four blastocysts. Which I was a little bit disappointed by, since we had ten on Friday, but four is still good. They told us they would transfer two (it didn't seem to be up to us at all, but that's fine, we wanted to do two anyway) and that the other two could be frozen.

So... PUPO until December 31st! I guess I'll find out whether I get to go out drinking, or stay home with a glass of sparkling juice. Tomorrow we're going to Santorini, which is supposed to be the most romantic island in Greece, to stay in a cliffside apartment with a fireplace for a few days and relax. Unfortunately, no sex allowed for seven days according to my instructions. This trip has helped in that department a lot, I'm not sure why... but I'm sure you're all familiar with how infertility kills the mood.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Toothfairy - I'm so sorry your cycle didn't work. hug2.gif

Laggie - congrats on being PUPO! Are you staying in Greece for the entire 2ww?

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

Old 12-22-2013, 12:00 PM

We're flying back on the 28th.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:21 AM

Hey I joined the other TTC thread but I guess I belong here too.  We are just starting on TTC # 3.  I have PCOS diagnosed when we started TTC # 1 but knew something wasn't right since I was in my teens.  To get pregnant with #1 I did IUI, Clomid, Cinnamon, and a low carb diet. with #2 we did a low carb diet and cinnamon.  Not sure how #3 will go.  I have gone Gluten free and am doing a low carb diet.  Also taking cinnamon again.  Concerned about my progesterone after ovulation.  The last few cycles I have started spotting for 3 days before actually getting my period.  This has never happen before.   Going to see a doctor tonight and will getting a subscription for progesterone.  Also would like tests run this cycle to see if I am ovulating.  If I am not the plan is to move right on to Clomid. 

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagirlintexas View Post

Hey I joined the other TTC thread but I guess I belong here too.  We are just starting on TTC # 3.  I have PCOS diagnosed when we started TTC # 1 but knew something wasn't right since I was in my teens.  To get pregnant with #1 I did IUI, Clomid, Cinnamon, and a low carb diet. with #2 we did a low carb diet and cinnamon.  Not sure how #3 will go.  I have gone Gluten free and am doing a low carb diet.  Also taking cinnamon again.  Concerned about my progesterone after ovulation.  The last few cycles I have started spotting for 3 days before actually getting my period.  This has never happen before.   Going to see a doctor tonight and will getting a subscription for progesterone.  Also would like tests run this cycle to see if I am ovulating.  If I am not the plan is to move right on to Clomid.

Welcome to the group! Tell me more about Cinnamon. How did that help you? A girlfriend of mine recommended I do cinnamon extract in my water to balance my blood sugar. Is that the same thing?

Tags
Infertility
User Tag List