Generic progesterone vs. Prometrium - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

With my last pregnancy, I took Prometrium after having had 2 miscarriages.  I am happy to say that I have a beautiful 19-month old daughter now, in part I believe because of the Prometrium.  It was prescribed as an oral medication but my OB recommended taking it vaginally.

Since then, my last OB has retired and I am seeing someone else. She wrote a script for Prometrium again and said I could take it vaginally if I wanted, but that she didn't think it mattered which way I took it.  So, I fill the prescription and I receive generic progesterone from Teva.  I am nervous not doing exactly what I did before and while I realize that Prometrium IS progesterone, I know that many people have different reactions to generic meds compared to the brand name ones.  

So, my questions:  1)  Has anyone had any experiences (positive or negative) with a generic progesterone?  Is it as effective as Prometrium and does it have any more side effects?  

2)  Can I also take this one vaginally?  It's written as to be taken orally but so was my script for Prometrium and that was OK to take vaginally.  

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I wasn't aware there was a generic form of Prometrium! Be careful, not all forms of progesterone are safe during pregnancy. For example Provera is a form of synthetic progesterone that is often used to induce AF but it's not a good idea to take it if you could be pregnant. Prometrium is a form of progesterone that is identical to the progesterone produced by your body and that's why it's safe for pregnancy.

The only types of progesterone I know of that can be taken for pregnancy are Prometrium, Endometrin, Crinone, and Progesterone-in-oil (given by injection). If the one you received is not one of those I would go back and discuss with the pharmacist why you are taking this progesterone.

I have taken generic progesterone in the past, I believe on the bottle it was writte APO Medroxy or something like that, but I only took it during cycles when I knew I could not get pregnant.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 PM

I just googled it and both Provera and the generic I took have the scientific name "medroxyprogesterone" which means they are synthetic progesterone. You should not be taking synthetic progesterone. Only take medications where the active ingredient has the scientific name "Progesterone" and nothing else!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I found this on the insert:

Progesterone capsules contain micronized progesterone for oral administration.  Progesterone is synthesized from a starting material from a plant source and is chemically identical to progesterone of human ovarian origin. 

Each progesterone capsule for oral administration contains either 100 mg or 200 mg of micronized progesterone USP and has the following inactive ingredients: lecithin, peanut oil, gelatin, glycerin, titanium dioxide, propylene glycol, black iron oxide, polyvinyl acetate phthalate, and polyethylene glycol.

My understanding is that it's made to be identical to Prometrium, but I just worry that any slight differences may affect effectiveness or side effects, etc.  

I just compared their molecular formulas - they have the same molecular formula and molecular weight.  I just worry because I have heard many people say they have had bad side effects from the generic and none from prometrium, which I don't understand if the are supposedly identical.  

Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 AM

Well it sounds like its safe for pregnancy then so that's great. I can't advise on side effects though because I haven't tried it!

Tags
Infertility
User Tag List