Comprehensive Chromosome Screening with IVF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy Boxing Day! I hope you are all having a good holiday season.

I am planning on starting IVF in January.  So now onto a whole new set of decisions.  

I am wondering if any of you decided for or against Comprehensive Chromosome Screening?  

That is the process where they take a few cells from day 5 of the blastocyst (from the part that makes up the placenta), and test for chromosomal irregularities. 

Thoughts or wisdom to share?  I am thinking I will do it, so that I know that the embryo has a better chance of being a viable pregnancy, but I'm still pondering due to cost, time delay (you have to do a frozen cycle because you have to wait for the results), and general thoughts on intervention.

Thanks much and happy baby thoughts to all of you!

Me (38), single parent by choice and transgender, TTC #1 via IVF.  

tried unsuccessfully via BD in '01 and unsuccessfully via ICI in '11. Endometriosis, ovarian cysts, anovulation, oh my... left fallopian tube removed in '12. now on to IVF.  my IVF journey is at pride-of-lions.blogspot.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
lrex - We've thought long and hard about CCS. Here's one thing that swayed my mind against it. It doesn't bring you any closer to a take home baby. Here's why: Either the embryos are good or not. Either they will make a take home baby or they won't. CCS just tells you sooner.

I'm also 38 and we have done 3 IVF cycles. We ended up with 3 blastocysts form the first cycle and 4 from the second cycle. Both of those cycles were freeze all. On the 3rd cycle we put back 3 perfect 3 day embryos and we ended up with a miscarriage of one chromosomally abnormal bean. (Complete triploidy: 69XXX) If we had done genetic testing, we still wouldn't have a baby from that cycle. We don't know if the other 2 were euploid (chromosomally normal) or not, but either way, they clearly did not have what it takes to make a baby since they didn't! CCS would've found the aneuploid (chromosomally abnormal) embryo and we wouldn't have put it back and wouldn't have had a miscarriage.

We're going to keep trying until I'm in my 40's and then put the frozen embryos back one at a time. Either they'll work, or they won't. We could warm them now, biopsy, test them and revitrify them, but all of that is a risk that something could go wrong. What if we permanently damage the one good one we had?!?!?

Another thing for you to consider is how many embryos you'll get. You can see how many blasts I made and those were considered pretty good results for a 38 year old. Are you going to do multiple cycles? You could do multiple cycles and have them biopsy and freeze them each time. And then when you have a nice size cohort they could test all the biopsied samples. (This would save you money because most places just charge one fee for the testing no matter how many embryos are tested.) So many things to consider.

I guess my synopsis is this: What do you hope to accomplish with CCS? Avoid a miscarriage? It'll certainly help with that. Or, have a take home baby?

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#3 of 5 Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Xerxella!  That is very helpful.  I think my main goal is to avoid miscarriage.  I think you're right - it does depend on how many eggs I can harvest.  My AMH level looks good but I haven't actually gone through the process to see how many we can get.  The way my RE explained their process is that they would test them all at once while fresh and then freeze them.  

I guess my three main hesitations are 1) cost, 2) the delay of time, since it adds 6-8 weeks to the cycle for the first one (though in the scheme of things, I know that's not that long and 3) the extra  level of intervention.

But I still feel inclined to do it.... I don't know why it is a conflict for me?

tried unsuccessfully via BD in '01 and unsuccessfully via ICI in '11. Endometriosis, ovarian cysts, anovulation, oh my... left fallopian tube removed in '12. now on to IVF.  my IVF journey is at pride-of-lions.blogspot.com

#4 of 5 Old 12-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Personally, I'd have a number of blasts in my head and if it was more than 5 say then I'd go for it.

Also, just a side note, it's your body and your ivf, so you get to say what happens. So if you want to wait and do 2 cycles, biopsy them and freeze the embryos and the samples and then test them all at once you can. (I wish I had done this).

One last thought, I wouldn't worry about the time delay at all. A miscarriage will set you back much longer, even an early one. I cycled in October, had the D&C at 8w1d and won't be able to cycle again until January.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#5 of 5 Old 01-04-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, @xerxella!  

I'm so sorry to hear about the d&c and the other angels.  I can't imagine how difficult that is.  Hugs!!!

I think I just feel overwhelmed by the whole process and don't trust I will actually be able to get pregnant, but your response helped a lot.  I will see how my egg retrieval goes.  My gut right now is saying to do the ccs, so maybe I will go with that plan for now and see how I feel after the egg retrieval.

Thanks again and best wishes to you!

Tags
Infertility

User Tag List