The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

#331 of 1195 Old 03-19-2014, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

went to the doctor.  it was pretty frustrating.   he did an ultrasound (to check for scarring, etc), but says it needs to be sent off to Saskatchewan for results (i'm near toronto, ontario).  he has no idea on how long those results will take. 

he got my blood work results back, and apparently my TSH was high.  didn't explain a thing about it, just wrote a prescription. he didn't seem overly concerned, and wouldn't give me any answers on whether it would affect my ability to be a surrogate.   thankfully, the pharmacist was wonderful and explained that meant that i'm actually have hypothyroidism... i thought i'd have hyperthyroidism, since my result was high.  so i have to take a tiny thyroid pill everyday.   still don't know if it affects the surrogacy.   i had all sorts of blood work done last fall, and this did not show up, so it must be a relatively new thing.  my weight was also higher than i thought it would be.  i've taken steps over the last month to eat alot better and get exercise.  of course, it doesn't come off overnight.  doc didn't comment on it at all.

tried to ask a bunch of questions, but the doc refused to answer anything until the ultrasound results are back (so who knows when).  he wouldn't tell me if he thought i'd be a good candidate or not.

so a pretty frustrating day for me.  boo.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#332 of 1195 Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Hmmmm...mucinex, eh? I will have to pick up a bottle before. We usually pre-seed each time we BD so we'll see. I'm just happy that that clomid is working but I need a baby dangit! LOL

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Atlanta, GA
Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
#333 of 1195 Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

@shelley4  that is so frustrating. What kind of doctor can't read his own ultrasound and give you an answer? I'm sorry it was such a crap day and I hope they have answers for you soon!

@chuord I'm anxiously awaiting your pregnancy test. Your 2ww has taken SO long! It sounds like being tired is a good symptom though!

@NaturallyMo Sounds like a luteal phase defect to me as well. Can you ask him for a hcg trigger shot and progesterone for your luteal phase? If you are ovulating on time your doc is right that you don't need a higher dose (esp since even 50mg clomid can cause thin lining and hostile cervical fluid), but if your LH surge is too long (which it should really only be 12-36 hrs), your egg quality could be poor, the HCG trigger helps mature the egg and forces ovulation. Even if you aren't doing monitoring or IUI you can just take it when you get your first positive OPK. 

I won't be able to get to everyone tonight but I am reading along!

I had my repeat LAP a week ago, he found no endometriosis (yay). I'm not sure about adhesions or scar tissue, my followup isn't for another 2 weeks. Also I met with my RE today. We decided to do a  fresh cycle with PGD. He wants me to wait one more cycle to heal from LAP before starting BCPs and then on we go. This should tell us if my eggs are just toast or if I should consider a gestational carrier. I'll be doing an agonist/antagonist conversion protocol which is a first for me. I basically wrote down what I wanted and brought it to my appt, he said it isn't something they use but he is willing to use it for me. Adding in also dexamethasone and doxycycline. We still need to work out the details and dosages. AF should start tomorrow or Friday so I should be about 4 weeks from start of BCPs.

I found this article interesting for anyone who has had trouble with implantation. http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/01/13/humrep.der452.full

C + B + 10y together, 5y married, 4y TTC= endometriosis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, recurrent miscarriages
IVF 1/6/13 angel.gif @10w , FET 5/21/13 angel3.gif @7w, IVF 10/11/13 angel.gif @5w, FET 2/2/14 angel.gif @5w
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.
#334 of 1195 Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
@shelley4
That is frustrating! When you would ask questions did he just stare at you? Is it that he only want to discus things with your cousin? Frustrating. Sorry about that and hugs.
@ilovemykiddos how are you today? Any more info on out dope country IVF?
@chuord are you going to test? When is your beta? I am so anxious to know. Fatigue is a good sign.

Afm. Hello and I am trying to keep up .
#335 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Mo - all that tootfairy said for you makes really good sense and could be worth a try smile.gif
Autumn laughing - on the saner thread we have 5 pg ladies - everyone of them had the lack of symptoms freak out at that stage wink1.gif it should be fine... Lol by the last few we'd all learnt that it was part of the process!
Shelley4 - hugs on the frustration, it definitely sounds like the doc wants to keep you as emotionally uninvolved as possible... Except it's your body so you sort of need to understand what and why!
Tootfairy - congrats on the no endo!!! That is really good news after all the IF treatments you've had done. Fx for the scarring coming back good as well. This new protocol sounds promising, I forget do you normally get good eggs with retrieval? Even if you need to find a surrogate, I can't see you giving up until you have your baby.
Tracy / tf2b - I only transferred a week ago Tuesday, so today is day 9... I get to do a beta next Monday ((they open 630am - and I'll be there lol) so on day 13, of course they were 6 day blasts when transferred... So I guess I'm on day 15 altogether. I'm too scared to poas yet, at the moment I'm in a happy place imagining one or two babies in there... Lol and I want to hold that for a few more days... Apparently the progesterone and estrogen won't stop AF if it's coming but may delay it... After getting the positive at Christmas only to be a chem I've lost my testing nerve.
All I can say is I've had sore boobs, twinges and pains in the right place (the more specific ones not general AF) am tired and can't get enough salt and vinegar chips... Not that I'm symptom spotting wink1.gif oh and no spotting at all post retrieval. We will see, be patient with me - the thought of poas makes me stressed!

me 39, DH 39, one (TTC since November 2012) At least one confirmed chem.Ivf #1 march 2014 - 6 day 6 blasts, two transferred bfn, 4 frosties. Ivf #2 may, cancelled, Ivf #3 July two transferred, 3 frosties... BFP! 15dpo 336 hcg, 17dpo 681 hcg... Scan at 6+4 wks - twins!! Feeling more blessed than words
#336 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

@chuord as a chronic POAS-er, I simply cannot understand that approach.  :irked

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16**20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#337 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 AM

thanks everyone, it was super frustrating, and the more i think about it, the more angry i am getting.  all he told me was that my TSH was high and wrote a 'script.  he never even said the word "hypothyroidism".. never explained that i'll most likely have to be on the pills for the rest of my life.  nothing.  thank goodness for the pharmacist, she was wonderful.   now that i've done some research of my own, i can see that this is also effecting my weight, so hopefully if we get the dose right, it will be easier for me to lose some extra pounds.

every time i tried to ask him a question, he just brushed it off with a 'we'll talk about it after the results come back'.  gee, thanks.  i don't know if i'm still okay to be a surrogate.. maybe take a month or two to get my meds right and lose some weight, and then we're fine, or if this stuff rules me out altogether.

on top of all of that, i had a pretty crappy day.  it was cd 1 for me, so i was already feeling crappy, and then i find out that some close friends, married for 17 years, happy as can be.... are separating.  ugh.  i hope they can reconcile.  and my cousin, who wants to do the surrogacy.. is also taking steps to keep the adoption process as a option for them (good idea, in case the embryos just don't implant)... and she was told by the adoption people yesterday that she can't even look into adoption while we're pursuing surrogacy.  they say she's "not focused enough".  ugh.  i don't know why she can't explore both options at the same time, especially since an adoption can take years, and we just don't know if the surrogacy will work.  she'd also like more than one child.   i just feel like all the bad news is coming out of the wood work lately.  blah.

#338 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Hello everyone- hope everyone is doing well, sorry I won't be mentioning everybody by name right now.

Shelley- I was also put on a low dose of thyroid medication during my blood-work taken by the fertility clinic. I was told that every clinic and even every place that draws blood will determine what is considered high or low differently (there is no standard of what numbers are considered high or low- everyone has different standards/different numbers). So the number might still be the same but is being looked at differently. Sorry the doctor was not helpful at all. 

However, I was told this might help me lose weight and get and stay pregnant. Make sure you asked about side effects etc. I was told by the pharmacist that you have to take this pill at the same time everyday but that you can have any dairy within 4 hours of taking the pill and it should be on an empty stomach (I take it at night before bed).

I am trying to stay busy right now- between a large to-do list and lots of schoolwork as the term comes to an end. I know I need to distract myself so I do not over think things. 

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#339 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

@chuord - Thanks!! I guess the day of transfer Dr. will tell us which embryo(s) he suggests putting back; they call the best ones HIP - high implantation probability.

@tinytina - Congratulations on being close to finishing your Master’s! I know it probably seems premature to say that, though, haha. My good friend is completing her Doctorate in Educational Leadership & it’s like a full-time job! Ugh… aren’t student loans the worst?! My student loans almost equal my mortgage payment! duh.gifGL with the budget redo.

@autumnlaughing - Thank you! Our doc said that as well; two does not increase the chances of pregnancy, only the chance we’d have twins. I would be perfectly fine with that but doc & hubby have given me lectures on the risks associated. :blahOooh, getting “pregnancy tips” must feel good! You’ve arrived, woohoo!!

#340 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

I will ask him about that. He may have me wait again if nothing happens this cycle to explore other options, especially since this only my 3rd cycle on clomid. But I'm definitely drafting the email to him now. Thanks @toothfairy2be @chuord

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Atlanta, GA
Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
#341 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 AM

@NaturallyMo & @girlspn - TY! I also did three round Clomid at 50 with TI. I didn’t respond well & obviously it didn’t get me pregnant, lol. When I tried OPKs on Clomid I got two lines every time! Mo, it sounds like you’re having much better luck with the OPKs! :thumb

#342 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Geez, this thread moves fast!!!!!
@chuord thank you for you words of why you won't poas. It has encouraged me to not do it when we finally have our transfer. In the past when I tested and got a negative I was still as devastated when getting my official beta. I think it is better to enjoy each moment at a time. Thank you. Sounds like you are pregnant. It's so exciting and I cannot wait.
#343 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 AM

i'm feeling overwhelmed at the moment, so i'm just going to unsub to this thread for a week or so, until i can figure out what's going on with me.  hopefully i will be back with good news.   much luck to you all.

#344 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

@tifga  I'm so sorry. :(

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

#345 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 AM

@mainebaby  WOW!  I hope they all make it to blast!  

AFM - So sorry I disappeared.  It's been a crazy few days.  Yes, my meds made it at 10am on saturday, so right on time.  I had my u/s this morning and my lead follicle is already 13mm.  I have 12 on the left and 8 on the right with several coming up behind that may join.  I started ganirelix today to keep me from ovulating.  Trigger is likely to be this monday night with retrieval 36 hours later.  We'll see if that stays the plan...

13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks

#346 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 PM

@tracyamber - Thank you, I have been eating pineapple all cycle, lol. I saved tons of pieces of core & will be eating them every day til they’re gone. I’ve been eating 1-2 pieces of core every couple days anyway, just because I thought it might be extra helpful. :yumGL with the TV break, good for you! Yay for your donor being ready to start BCP!

@toothfairy2be - Yay for no endometriosis!

@Shelley4 - I’m sorry your doc isn’t giving you answers yet! I think they often just want to cover their butts in case something comes back differently than they thought.

@kewpie80 - Thanks, me too!! So glad your meds made it to you on time! Wow, can’t believe you’re already at 13mm! Congratulations! :twothumbs

@autumnlaughing & @toothfairy2be - I see you’re both in MA, what clinic do you go to if you don’t mind me asking? We’re using Boston IVF, luckily they have a Maine satellite office only 15 mins from us!

AFM: I am so thankful my abdomen pain went away. The muscles are only a tiny bit sore now. Transfer scheduled for 8am Saturday. We have 13 HIP embryos and 2 others still hanging on! :heartbeat

#347 of 1195 Old 03-20-2014, 02:29 PM

Tracy - I'm sure I'll weaken and disappoint myself, but fx it works for you smile.gif that was so sweet of you to understand.
Kewpie - woohoo, heaps of follies already smile.gif
Mainebaby - that's a great number so far!
Everyone - hi abd fx

me 39, DH 39, one (TTC since November 2012) At least one confirmed chem.Ivf #1 march 2014 - 6 day 6 blasts, two transferred bfn, 4 frosties. Ivf #2 may, cancelled, Ivf #3 July two transferred, 3 frosties... BFP! 15dpo 336 hcg, 17dpo 681 hcg... Scan at 6+4 wks - twins!! Feeling more blessed than words
#348 of 1195 Old 03-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Hello everyone,

I know I have to go backward's to post/mention everyone.

What is everyone up to right now?

Any big plans for the weekend?

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#349 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hi All! I've been lurking but supporting you all! We got the genetic test back on the LO we lost a few weeks ago. It was a little girl with Turners Syndrome. I really wonder if it was the egg maturation in vitro that did it since that part of the process was so different. Either way it's nice to have some answers. 99% of babies with turners miscarriage and there is not a high likelihood it will happen again. Just an issue with either the egg or sperm. Right now just seeing when AF will come so we can decide when to do IVF again. This time we will do traditional to get more eggs...even one mature would be nice haha. I'm super depressed and anxious but trying hard to pull out of it! Hugs to you all! Also can we put in a section like waiting after a loss?

Me- 35 pcos DH- 37 no issues
TTC since December 2008 9 clomid cycles...break! 2 more clomid cycles with trigger and TI
IUI #1 April 2013- BFP Ectopic May 2013 IUI #2,#3,#4 BFN
IVF #1 Dec 2013- BFP! MC 9 1/2wks.
IVF #2 June 2014- OHSS 5 frosties
FET #1 August 2014 BFP!!
Identical Twins!!
#350 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. Reading along. I have been researching Ivf and have many questions.

Re is doing the same this cycle as last since that got us pregnant. Went for my cd12 scan today and I had 19 on right and 18.5 on left and a 10. So he is having us do one more day of injections then trigger tomorrow.

Last month I had 26, 22, 16 and 15 at trigger and we got pregnant.

So does that mean I have less of a chance?
#351 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 PM

@adiejan  I'm glad you have some answers and that it seems to be a one time thing.  I never knew what caused our loss.  The ER doctor said he'd send the baby to the lab to be tested, but I never heard back and I've been too chicken to call.  Not sure why.  Does it seem to help you to have the answer?  Maybe I may call the hospital at some point...  I'm sorry for your loss.

AFM - I’m not sure what to think. I had my latest u/s this morning and my lead follicle was 15.75mm. That’s good, but my next biggest was quite a bit smaller at 13mm and most were 12mm and smaller. They bumped up my follistim dose 2 days ago, but it seems I’m just not responding like I was in the beginning. Maybe it’s nothing, but I’m worried they’re going to want to delay my trigger. I’m supposed to trigger monday night. It’s not a big deal as far as the cycle goes, but I’m have just enough meds to get me to monday and I don’t know if I will be able to get more of the ganirelix on time for my tuesday 9am shot. :(

I go in for my next u/s tomorrow morning and I’m hoping someone there will have an idea. Not that it will help much as it will be the weekend and I won’t be able to order more anyway.

IVF #1 11 weeks

#352 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 03:52 PM

Adie - I'm glad too that you have got some peace with the answer, we can keep going on this journey - I know you have the strength smile.gif here's to AF for you and a decent haul of eggs!
Kewpie - good luck getting your answers and meds - I hope it is less stressful and resolvable... The rest of the process takes enough without the stress of getting meds on time!
Ilovemykiddos - good luck with the trigger!

I'm in limbo land, my hate relationship with the Hpts continues. I tested Friday morning, stark white bfn, at 10dp6dt took me a while but I'm sort of ok with it... I'm still on the meds till Mondays blood test, but have cancelled the friends that were meant to stay Monday and Tuesday - as I can see dh and I will probably need the head space to decide what's next. Has anyone on here done back to back ivf egg retrievals? How hard is it? I'm thinking going fresh again is probably best - I need my frosties for future insurance...

#353 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 04:25 PM

@chuord  - I haven't been in exactly your place, but I did decide to leave my frosties alone and go for fresh for insurance as you're thinking of doing.  They don't age in there and I figured they will be backup for down the road when my ovaries and eggs have had it.  No real advice, just reassurance that i think your reasoning is sound.

IVF #1 11 weeks

#354 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Thanks kewpie! It's appreciated, this is baby one for us and I really want at least two wink1.gif so insurance is important.

#355 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 PM

@chuord- I am so sorry love! This infertility stuff is so shitty!! I don't have any back to back retrieval help but i think it would be too hard for me...that roller coaster sucked too! How are you feeling?

TTC since December 2008 9 clomid cycles...break! 2 more clomid cycles with trigger and TI
FET #1 August 2014 BFP!!
Identical Twins!!
#356 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 PM

@Kewpie80- somehow I missed your post 😜! It really does make both DH and I feel better to know what happened. I think knowing that things would have been difficult for her makes it feel a touch better. I really hope those other follies catch up!!! I found the whole thing so stressful with IVF...more so than IUI. I am crossing my fingers for you to have tons of eggies smile.gif

FET #1 August 2014 BFP!!
Identical Twins!!
#357 of 1195 Old 03-22-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

@adiejan - I think it's great that you got an answer, and that it gives you some comfort.  I've found the lack of answers over the years to be very difficult. 

@chuord - unfortunately I don't really "get" IVF enough to understand what a BFN means at this stage in the game.  I think that it's still early, so I'm holding out hope for you.  Regarding back to back retrievals, of course I have no advice, but I will say that you are ALWAYS stronger than you think you are. 

@toothfairy2be - great news about the endo!  Hope your follow up goes well.

AFM: We bit the bullet after many years of talking about it, and brought a new car.  I feel like a lot of our lives have been on hold for the last five years, and every decision has been (but what if we [finally] have a baby).  Anyway, my car is beautiful and I love, love love it.  Interestingly, I thought my parents might disapprove of us buying it, because of the financial implications and not "saving" for babies, etc, but my Mum actually said that they want to help us with a loan to have a family.  Based on that, I'm thinking pretty seriously about whether we should just go the surrogacy route.  It's never really been an option, because of the enormous cost, and I have also always wanted the pregnancy experience for myself.  But at the end of the day, a baby is a baby, and I think I could come to terms with it...

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12***16**20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#358 of 1195 Old 03-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hey ladies...how and when did you decide to do IVF? Did you do IUI first and then IVF? 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#359 of 1195 Old 03-23-2014, 01:54 PM

@girlspn- I did 4 IUI's before moving to IVF. I had been trying for 4 1/2 years with lots of medicated cycles before that. I had an ectopic my 1st IUI. I really felt that IVF was our next step. We did mini IVF but found I had empty follicles. That makes me wonder how many were empty with IUI. What are you thinking?

FET #1 August 2014 BFP!!
Identical Twins!!
#360 of 1195 Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 PM

Thanks Adie, milk8shake - I truly feel mentally strong enough (despite the fact it is hard work), but I'm wondering if I'll be allowed or if my ovaries need a rest. They didn't say I had ohss but I did put on 4kg of fluid and all my tummy muscles felt uncomfortably tight, 250iui of hcg booster was enough to set it off again for 48 hrs. Anyway I'll wait and see what he says...
Adie - since you had to do all the same meds on a mini ivf why not go the full this next time? If you can get a few eggs from the process it feels like less hard work...
Milk8shake - yay for the new car!!!! It is nice to feel 'normal' in amongst this journey. That is so nice of your mum! I also think it puts you in a great place to decide exact what's right for you smile.gif carrying the baby may be nice (for some) but it's such a small part of the babies life - good luck!
Girlspn - I did a letrozole (clomid) un monitored over Christmas, an iui and then straight to ivf. Everyone has different reasons for their path though so it needs to be what's right for you... Mine is moving fast because I'll be 40 in June, and although I ovulate ok by myself etc and dh is fine they are worried about my egg quality, so stims that give me multiple eggs or ivf help sort out the dudds.
Has your re suggested a path for you,

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List
chuord, Xerxella

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page