The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

#241 of 1195 Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

@chuord - I like http://www.visembryo.com/baby/femalesys.html but that one looks way more in depth!  I kept visualizing a sticky lentil :)

@hope4light - thank you!

DH(37) + I(36) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 

2/2014 - IVF cycle = 2ndtri.gif due in late November!

#242 of 1195 Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw the Dr. Same meds. He told me if I were to get pregnant that by the time I deliver he can't guarantee I can have another child. He is going to call dh and I tonight to talk about ivf.

He said some couples bank eggs and if he did 5 cycles he would expect 3 to 6 eggs a cycle and that probably only 1 or 2 eggs good. That they test them.

So I asked is this what mini ivf is and he said there are a lot of things with mini ivf. But if I were to do it he would keep me on the same meds just a bit more clomid 150 and bravelle 150 with a growth hormone.something like if I applied for compassionated care 7500. Is that one cycle? He said he found with low amh if u give more meds 2 follicles lead so he doesn't do a ton more.

Does this make sense? Of course I'd love to have extra eggs. It broke my heart to have him say that about more kids. I don't even know how I got here. Its a nightmare.

So what should I ask him? So really if I were to get pregnant this cycle then that may be it for me? Is it the amh that he thinks I won't have any eggs left? My mom went through menopause when she was 54.

I'm just so bummed out right now.
#243 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Happy Friday everyone! Yesterday was so rough on me mentally. My son (5yo) was having a bad day at school (not listening to the teacher, misbehaving, hitting people). It was totally out of character for him. Needless to say, I ended up taking him home early (he could have stayed but we needed to have "the talk" in the privacy of home) so that we could talk about his behavior while he packed up all of his toys for me to put away for two days. He has to learn that his actions have consequences and that his toys are a privilige. Anyway, by the time my husband got home that night was so I was mentally drained and tapped out that I couldn't even speak to him and just went to bed.

Besides parental woes, everything is ok. No AF so far but I'll give it until next Tuesday before testing and we'll see.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Atlanta, GA
Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
#244 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
ilovemykiddos - I'm sorry I missed this last night. How did the talk with the doc go? There's a lot to think about. I think it's reasonable to assume that with fresh cycles you only have time for one more birth. But, of course, anything can happen. Women DO get pregnant naturally in their 40's, but honestly, that's not the norm. Unfortunately, our fertility is reduced long before we go through menopause. For whatever reason, the eggs that ovulate as we age are FAR more likely to be genetically incompetent than younger eggs.

I assume the doc meant they bank embryos. As long as you feel all your future children will come from your husband there's no reason to bank eggs. Ask about the details of testing the embryos. If you're going to start an embryo banking plan, they can biopsy each of the blastocysts and then freeze them. Then after a number of cycles they can test all of the biopsied material and you would only pay one testing fee. Most places have one fee no matter how many embryos they test.

I assume the doc was talking about $7500 per cycle, so per month. For me, the freezing was a separate fee of $1100 each time and the biopsying and testing are a separate fee. That $7500 probably doesn't include meds, either. It's easily over $10,000 per month and if you did 5 cycles that's over $50,000. With NO guarantees. These are all things you need to consider. I don't mean to be Debbie downer, but I would hate for you to go into this with anything other than eyes wide open.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#245 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 05:53 AM

Mo - Sorry for your parental woes. greensad.gif Maybe something deeper was going on with your little guy. Someone at school picking on him? The classwork is too hard and he's afraid of failing? Maybe he's getting sick? hug.gif Hugs to you. Parenting is hard.

Could you move me to waiting to know? We're not doing IVF this cycle, so maybe in the regular waiting to know category.

#246 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Hello everyone, I am trying to catch up but there are quite a few posts for only being away for a couple days.

The weather has been wild plus my sister-in-law and her family came for a visit. They have 2 kids (one is about a year old) so I found the whole visit a little difficult emotionally.

Sorry I won't address anyone specifically in this post but I am thinking and praying for you all daily!

We got a call from the clinic today and we have an appt. for my husband to meet with the urologist on April 2nd. I am happy about this and so is he. However, I also have mixed feelings about it since it means we will be sitting out at least 1 more cycle. Can I be happy and sad/frustrated about how long everything is taking; all at the same time? My husband thinks I should be more positive about the situation. That we are moving forward, etc. which is true but I just wish it was faster?

We are hoping this will give us a chance to get some other things sorted in the meantime with the lawyer etc. so maybe it is a blessing in disguise. Its hard when the clinic is an 1 1/2 hours away so it is an all day trip there and back, so it needs to be carefully scheduled around work etc. When we do the IVF cycle, I will stay up in the city because I cannot afford to travel back and forth so much.

Me 28, DH 30 , 2 Kitties and working towards having Baby #1. 
“The past has no power over the present moment.” Eckhart Tolle
#247 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm also trying to catch up, was in a slump the past few days.

@ilovemykiddos - That is painful to hear; I hope you can do IVF or the mini. It is super expensive... took us like 2 years to save for IVF! GL :)

@tinytina - GL at the urologist in April. Hope you get everything sorted out with the legal stuff...

@chuord - update? Thinking of you!

@NaturallyMo - Sorry about your parenting woes! 

AFM: Ovidrel trigger tomorrow night & St. Patrick's Day retrieval! Today's US showed biggest follicles were: Left side 16.5, 15, 15, 15, Right side 14, 14, 14. There are others of course but they're probably too small. I did electrotherapy or something yesterday at the acupuncturist; she hooked the pins on my stomach up to a battery-powered device that made the pins buzz. I think it really did help!

GL everyone!!

#248 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM

@tifga - Thinking of you today. They better call with the results today or I'm going to be extremely angry at them. Big hugs and prayers and positive thoughts going your way.

#249 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Hello!! Can I join? I'm waiting to O for IUI.

Last cycle was my first IUI cycle w/ Clomid 50mg and it failed. Hoping this month is better.

Good luck everyone!!

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#250 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Sooooooooo stressed out.

The pharmacy took forever to “approve” my medications.  They finally called me today and they said that they can’t send the follistim pen and needles without a separate Rx and that would have to go through ANOTHER approval process. I’m supposed to start tomorrow morning… I called my clinic and they said they have NEVER heard of that happening before. These meds come in a kit with pen included. Thankfully they had an extra kit (without meds) that they could give me, so I drove the 80 minutes back to the clinic for a second time today to pick it up.

Also, the pharmacy won’t include my lupron trigger without a physician’s approval which is a separate form. I have no idea why a Rx wouldn’t be enough, but damn it, they denied it and so I called the clinic yet again to let them know. Thank heavens I don’t need that one till next week. Then they denied DH’s cipro that he’s supposed to take next week, so I called back and let the clinic know about that one too.

So, they’re overnighting my meds and I’m crossing everything that it arrives early tomorrow. The dr said that if I have to take the injections in the afternoon due to late delivery, it’s not the end of the world, but it HAS to be tomorrow. It’s being sent UPS and the pharmacy said that they couldn’t guarantee its arrival. UGH! Way to stress me out!

The one good thing though is that when the first lady called from the pharmacy, she was Indian and had a very very strong accent and talked so quickly, I could barely understand her. When they called a second time, i got an american guy and I had him rerun down the list of meds. There were 2 on there that shouldn’t have been. One of them was $500 a vial and they are NOT returnable. That would have been an extremely expensive mistake. whew!!!

So, as long as everything goes well, I will be starting stims tomorrow. AF arrived today and they took a look at my lining this morning and said it looked beautiful and ready for embryos!

Me: 33 PCOS Him: 33 vericocele
13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks
IVF #2 Liam and Maisie (now 2 years old)
IVF #3 BFN and no frosties
IVF #4 BFP!!!! Twins again!

***4***8***12**16***20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#251 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 02:11 PM

@ilovemykiddos - That $7500 is probably for 1 cycle.  Our full IVF cycle was $15,000 at one clinic per cycle and $12,000 at our current clinic.  That doesn't include meds, by the way.  But I would double check with your doctor to be sure you understand exactly what they mean.  Cryopreservation of embryos is usually not included either.  That seems to vary a lot from clinic to clinic.  Our old clinic charged $1100 per vial and our current is $750.  Storage fees per year are extra too generally.  

@mainebaby - Good luck!  Yay for trigger night!  That's always SO exciting!

13 long years of TTC using various methods before the twins finally came - Too much history to list
IVF #1 11 weeks

#252 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 02:19 PM

the clinic called, the nurse said she waited until the end of the day to call me back hoping the beta would come in but it didn't. they seem to think it will be there in the morning. husband talked to her about the spotting and the long and the short is without the second beta they don't know much but since I'm not even bleeding they aren't worried. 

I'm freaking worried. 

I'm trying to look on the bright side of things, my breasts have really started to hurt in the lat 2 days and even with my morning nap I'm pretty tired again.

but I'm freaking worried. 

#253 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 02:24 PM

@tifga  I've been there.  It's terrifying.  If it helps, I spotted until I was 6 weeks and then I gushed blood and everything turned out all right.  Some spotting is normal in the beginning.  My RE at the time told me that bleeding is ok.  Even some cramping is ok.  It's when you get clots and cramping that things are usually not ok.  And then when I gushed blood with clots, she said quarter sized clots are the ones to worry about.  I know you'll worry anyway, but just know that it doesn't always mean the end.  You'll be in my thoughts this weekend.  I hope they will call you soon with your second beta number.  :Hug

IVF #1 11 weeks

#254 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 02:26 PM

@Kewpie80 

thanks, i wasn't worried at all about the cramping, and was only mildly concerned about the spotting, until they told me the first beta was a little low. now I'm freaking out. 

#255 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM

@tifga  - ah, I see.  I missed that part somehow.  I think the doubling time matters more than the actual number, though, doesn't it?  Really too bad they haven't gotten back to you.  Sorry. :(

IVF #1 11 weeks

#256 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Mainebaby - woohoo for trigger night! That sounds like a nice haul of follies you have going on smile.gif fx it all going smoothly!

Kewpie - that whole meds saga would be soo stressful!!! Huge hugs and fx that it arrives on time! I think I'm lucky, my doc includes the meds in the overall price - and after an appointment with him you have one with the nurse who gives you what you need (injectables) I still need to fill scripts for clomid, provera etc. Seriously no wonder I've been less stressed - it seems I've been hand led through the process.

Mo - could you please out me in waiting to know? today is 4dp6dt I'm not supposed to test for another 8 days due to hcg boosters... I'll slip a test in if and when I feel up to it though smile.gif
Who's close to testing?

me 39, DH 39, one no babies yet due to previous poor health. Trying to make up for it now (TTC since November 2012) At least one confirmed chem.Ivf #1 march 2014 - 6 day 6 blasts, two transferred bfn, 4 frosties in waiting. Ivf #2 may, cancelled, Ivf #3 July... BFP! 15dpo 336 hcg, 17dpo 681 hcg... Looking good so far
#257 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 PM

Dr caaled us. He said he is concerned because I want 2 kids. That if I get pregnant now and take 3 months to rest I will be a year older 40.5 and with my low amh and response it will be a steep hill. He said the quickest way to get a baby is ivf.

That he'd be willing to do ivf at 6,000 (so he gave us a discount) a cycle not incl meds. That compassionate care may help with meds. Then he would do genetic testing and the cheapest is 3,400. He thinks I will get 1 to 3 to make it to blast (which I don't get what that means).

Said if I want to bank depends on first cycle if would need to do more. But if another cycle then another 6000 plus meds. But that testing goes a little down.

I asked what if we didn't do genetic testing he said he would put them back. But honestly why do that I'm thinking?

He wants us to think about sitting this cycle out to consider ivf. That iui has 5% to 8% birth rate (for me) and ivf 30% and if the egg is normal 50%.

I don't know what to think. I am supposed to take my clomid tonight but he is scarring me that I won't have any more babies if I get pg again. Also I have 0 insurance coverage for this. I don't know what to do or think. In a perfect world I would do if. I could swing the 6000 but that would be wiping us out and that doesn't include meds.

Seriously tho if I were to get preg this cycle couldn't I save up more this yr and at 40.5 see him for ivf?

@naturallymo...hope your son is doing better.

@Tifga I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, the pregnancy symptoms are coming...yipee
#258 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM

@tifga - GRRR on the lab not getting you the results!!!  I called about mine again today (# is right on target), but they were actually calling + leaving me a message at the same time as I was calling them!  

@ilovemykiddos - I'm sorry this is such a stressful mess for you :(  *hugs*

@mainebaby - yay trigger!  I hope that means you get the "meds break" that I got, although I mostly spent that day worried I'd forgotten something..

@chuord fx!!!

@Kewpie80 - the meds are so stressful - sorry to hear that you had a day arguing about them :(   I got pretty lucky with ours - the clinic ordered them all from a fertility med pharmacy, and they all showed up in one (terrifyingly) big box.  They really did come overnight - I started the day they showed up, too!   They did come with extra (terrifyingly huge) needles.  

I'm lucky that insurance will cover most of our cycle - but they said that they'd just figure out the overall copay + bill me later, so I have NO IDEA what that'll be...  I definitely put IVF on hold because of $$ (we have some saved up, but it's the buying-a-house money, and it really bugged me to gamble our kids' "stable home" money on the kids, if that makes any sense...) but I think we lucked out... I guess I'll see when the bill shows up... 

I've been telling everyone how awesome and supportive the online forum I've been on is - I caught bits of a few on other sites in searches, and some of them aren't nearly as supportive.  You all rock. 

DH(37) + I(36) have been working on collaborative project #1 for 6 years, fighting more battles than I ever imagined. 

#259 of 1195 Old 03-14-2014, 11:47 PM

Autumn laughing - congrats!!!! That's your third set of great betas right? Brilliant!!

Ilovemykiddos - I understand that he wants you to have an option on future children, he's suggesting that your egg reserve could drop lower and the quality deteriorate so in a year or so you would have less success at ivf - hence the banking of blasts (blasts are the cell change on day 4-5 where two distinct types of cells develop, it's a point where many not good eggs drop off).
My best advice to you is to take control of your future - whatever ends up being your choice. Research and chat with your partner, we can explain things and suggest websites but you really need to make a conscious choice as to what is best for you. Good luck
Xerxella likes this.

me 39, DH 39, one no babies yet due to previous poor health. Trying to make up for it now (TTC since November 2012) At least one confirmed chem.Ivf #1 march 2014 - 6 day 6 blasts, two transferred bfn, 4 frosties in waiting. Ivf #2 may, cancelled, Ivf #3 July... BFP! 15dpo 336 hcg, 17dpo 681 hcg... Looking good so far
#260 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATED TO HERE

Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

#261 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

AF is on her way so I'm just going to accept the fact that its not going to happen this month. 

And quite frankly, I'm starting to think that it's not me that's the issue since I've pretty much done every test possible and gotten a clean bill of health. If it's DH, he's not for testing or finding out if he's him so I can pretty much forget it and that will be that. Maybe we were meant to only have one and I'm ok with that at this point. 

Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

#262 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyMo View Post

AF is on her way so I'm just going to accept the fact that its not going to happen this month. 

And quite frankly, I'm starting to think that it's not me that's the issue since I've pretty much done every test possible and gotten a clean bill of health. If it's DH, he's not for testing or finding out if he's him so I can pretty much forget it and that will be that. Maybe we were meant to only have one and I'm ok with that at this point. 

I hope this doesn't offend-- but is there no way to persuade your husband to get some tests done? It's so much simpler than the testing women go through. I would think if you both want a baby, both should test. If you know the cause/reason of the challenges, you can at least act on it and possibly get better results. 

My ex and I ttc for 2 years, and we always assumed it was my fault we couldn't conceive because my cycles were irregular. It made me feel inadequate and somewhat depressed. Finally we both had tests done, and learned his sperm quality was not optimal. I had problems too, but I was so relieved that it's not just me, and that once we know what the issues were, we can work on it. We were both able to take action for our respective issues, and conceived some months later. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#263 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Girlspn - Welcome!!!! Welcome.gif Everyone here is so wonderful. I'm sure they'll help you along. smile.gif

Kewpie - Did the meds come in time?!?!?? So worried about you. I hope you've gotten the meds by now and started your cycle.

Mo - I think he should stongly reconsider getting tested. If it's him and he doesn't want to do anything, and you guys decide on that than ok. But, to just say he doesn't want to get tested at all is kinda uncool. Besides, you really don't know what the problem is. Maybe do one more cycle with monitoring and an IUI. You accomplish 2 things. You can see if the clomid is actually working, how many follicles are growing, if you're lining is being negatively affected by the clomid (very common and could be why you're unsuccessful) and finally, it's a sort of sneaky way of getting DH tests since they'll automatically do a basic check in his swimmers before they put them back in you. I think one more cycle with monitoring and IUI is very reasonable. You wouldn't have to do it right away. You could take a few months off to think about everything. Just an idea.

Ilovemykiddos - I agree with Chuord. There's no easy answers. You need to decide what you're willing to do, what's reasonable and what you can afford. Whether you sit out this cycle is up to you, but I think we would all agree, 1 child is better than none. (((Hugs))). There's no easy answers.

Tifga - Did they call today? Thinking of you.

Chuord - I hope you get a + when you test. You'll probably find out while I'm gone.

AFM - My work is sending me on a trip to China!!!! So, I won't be back until March 25th! The good news is I'll know if this cycle worked or not aroun te time I get back. Also, I have a planning appointment with my doc for March 27th for my final IVF cycle. Hopefully, I won't need it. smile.gif Good luck all. I'll be thinking of you while I'm gone.

wave.gif to everyone I missed. I'll be thinking about you all.

#264 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 02:05 PM

@NaturallyMo - I agree that a more heavily monitored cycle might not hurt, if you can swing it.  Also, there's home tests for men now, too, so if he doesn't want to deal with the Dr, that might be an option.  Honestly, our first IUI the Dr didn't tell us that our "sample" was borderline :irked but we didn't really ask, either.  I had weird irregular cycles + a family history of issues, and I think I was really hoping that it was just me.   

@Xerxella - so much travel!  So exciting!!! 

#265 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 05:15 PM

Xerxella - soo exciting that you are traveling smile.gif have a fab time and lots of great food!

Mo - all you need is one sample for all his testing too... In the mean time if it helps I can give you a list of supplements that our re recommends that help increase sperm quality and quantity? Don't know if he'll take multi vits?
Girlsn - welcome smile.gif
Kewpie - I'm keen to find out if the meds arrived too...

#266 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

I'm pissed at him about something so my feelings are blah today.

Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

#267 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM

@tifga ... Did they call? Thinking of you today!

@xerxella...ms. Jet setter.
#268 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM

They called this morning and said my beta was 42, so it doubled and that was all the wanted. She asked about the spotting because I was worried and I said it seems to have stopped (I haven't spotted once today).
So happy me.
The she called back a few hours later and said because of the spotting the Dr. wants to run a 3rd beta Monday.
So now I'm worrying again.
#269 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifga View Post

They called this morning and said my beta was 42, so it doubled and that was all the wanted. She asked about the spotting because I was worried and I said it seems to have stopped (I haven't spotted once today).
So happy me.
The she called back a few hours later and said because of the spotting the Dr. wants to run a 3rd beta Monday.
So now I'm worrying again.
Well at least your will be reassured even if you have to wait till Monday.
Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!!joy.gif

How exciting and spotting is so common. Feeling sure your numbers will be fine on Monday too.joy.gif
#270 of 1195 Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
@Xerxella
How exciting! You will be missed here.
@chuord how are you feeling. Hope those embies snuggled in tight.

Afm- hi to all I think I will need to go back and read some posts. I was in portland all day Friday and most of Saturday which is today.
Good news on my end. No, I am not pregnant...... I wish it was that simple.'anyway, my uterus looks amazing and I have no blockage for when the transfer happens. Also, the doctor said I had great blood flow in my uterus. Now I am just waiting to see my vitamin d level. Apparently the is some correlation of implantation and vitamin d levels. I did not know this. And, my donor has been contacted and she will be on birth control next week so we are already getting synced up.
Okay thanks for letting me share the news... Am am feeling so good about this.

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List
chuord, Xerxella

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page