Gestational Surrogacy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-04-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hello all...

wondering if anyone here has experience being a GS?  hubby has a cousin who has struggled with infertility for the last 5 years.   she's lost 6 babies so far, and my heart just breaks for her.  she has asked me and DH to consider being a GS for her.  she has healthy embryos, she just needs a carrier.  i would like to wholeheartedly say yes, but DH has concerns.  i told her that we need time to think about it.. obviously it's a huge decision.   DH's concerns mostly are about how hard this would be for us, me physically, explaining it to our children, etc.  i have concerns too... i have 3 children, the last two are unmedicated homebirths... i would hate to end up with a c-section (though of course i would do it if it were medically necessary).  i don't think it would be an easy-peasy thing to do... but i'd like to help.  i know that the cousin and her hubby will be excellent parents.

if anyone has experience with being a GS, i'd love to have a conversation with you.. i'd like to get a very realistic picture of how this would work for our family, how you felt during the pregnancy and afterwards... pretty much anything you could tell me to help us make this decision would be so very helpful!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#2 of 5 Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I think one of the other moderators was a surrogate. I will ask and have her post here too .
shelley4 likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

As someone in a very similar situation to your husband's cousin, I just want to thank you for thinking about it.  I've spent a fair bit of time on surrogacy boards (research), and I the stories I have read have mostly been very positive.  In my younger days, I felt very strongly that I would like to be a surrogate when I was older, however things didn't quite turn out the way I thought they would.  I'm sure it would have incredibly difficult moments, but I think the wonderful moments would outweigh them by a long shot.  

shelley4 and thecoffeebean like this.

Me & him partners.gif and our beautiful fur boys Dukedog2.gif and Chopz dog2.gif

Forever missing our little ones lost

angel1.gif angel1.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel3.gif angel2.gif angel1.gif

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, this is exactly how i feel too.... there would be some hard parts, but they would be temporary, and the benefits would totally outweigh any discomforts along the way!!!!

still talking with hubby, hoping he will agree.  i could not do this without him!

#5 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone!! i wanted to come update you all.... hubby and i are now in agreement, and we will be going forward with an attempt to be his cousin's gestational surrogate!! after our contract is signed, i'll be heading in for medical testing to make sure that i'm a good candidate... and then it's hormones and getting ready for me!!! i anticipate April being the soonest we could attempt our first embryo transfer, if everything goes well.... EXCITED!

Milk8shake likes this.

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page