HSG Postponed. Fourth Cycle of Attempted Scheduling. Seeking Opinions on Dr's Choices - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-08-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Hi Everyone-- I think it's been a while since I've posted here. We are a little over 2.5 years of TTC/NTNP. I've been pregnant a few times but nothing's lasted very long. We started seeing a MD last fall. DH checks out OK, and my hormone and thyroid levels are good (I am heavy and have two sisters w PCOS, but I am also regular like a clock and ovulating, and have no other reasons to believe I have a weight/insulin resistance/etc. issue). I have had progesterone checked and ultrasounds to check for ovulation and irregularities, all good there.

So-- we are on to the early loss bloodwork and HSG. I will be getting the early loss bloodwork this week-- for various reasons I didn't get the paperwork to get to the lab, etc. until very recently.

My first HSG was scheduled in December. I think I had more fear/feelings than I thought I did, and started crying after undressing. The MD said he would not do the HSG when I was crying because I was not in the right mindset. He was brusque and left very quickly after he saw I was crying. Fortunately the nurse explained what exactly happens during the HSG, how much dye there is, what it looks like, and what it feels like. This MD has a very good reputation in my city and the nurse said this MD had performed her HSG, and that she saw many MDs come in to use their equipment and she knew he was the one who knows how to do it without hurting. In my heart I was offended by his rude bedside manner and even more upset when I left, but in my head I understood why he wouldn't want to do the HSG while I was crying.

So I called and set up an appointment for January when my cycle started again. DH asked off work so he could accompany me and help me stay calm (he offered in December, but I thought it was no big deal... Sounds like I need to be more in touch with my feelings). They called a few days later and said there was a scheduling issue with the room they use to do the HSG and they had to reschedule. We were absolutely not able to do the other date they offered, so I said we'll wait till the next cycle.

I called in February when my cycle started over, and they could only offer one date and time for the HSG, and I had bought plane tickets to visit a friend. So that date conflict was my fault.

Here we are in March and I called when my cycle started over. We scheduled a date and my husband asked for some time off work-- this was this upcoming Monday. They called yesterday (Friday) afternoon and said they would have to reschedule for Wednesday, because the MD had to harvest eggs from some IVF patients on Monday, and it couldn't wait. I was pretty angry when I got this voicemail. DH went out on a limb to ask for another morning off work. My HSG is time sensitive too, and they messed up the scheduling in January, so why am I getting bumped off the schedule? How do I know that after DH asks off work again on Wednesday, I move my schedule around, etc., he's not going to say he can't do it because of other IVF patients? I know some MDs who are greedier might give priority to procedures that make them tons more money, but I heard that this MD would stick with us through diagnostic tests and not just push the easy/expensive option.

Do you guys have a sense of whether this is rude on the MD's (and his office's) end? I know that this is partially my fault, but at this point I can't help being mad about the way they have me so low on the priority list, and I've been left behind once and bumped off the schedule twice. Is this normal when you're working with patients with whom you have to get the timing right throughout the month? Should I start shopping for another MD? This guy has such a good reputation and I am afraid that the next person will push IVF when we don't want to do it until we know for sure it's the only option... Don't know who else to turn to in a city this size.

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
First off, unfortunately, IVF retrievals and transfers cannot be delayed. Even a few hours can completely ruin a woman's chances. (Once she triggers, the eggs must be retrieved at 36 hours or the body will ovulate them and they will be unable to be retrieved.) So, if that's their excuse, it's a pretty good one.

As far as his bedside manner, that was totally unacceptable. He could've walked you through the procedure or let a nurse do it. He could've gone and done something else and come back in 30 minutes when you were feeling better and done it then.

I would think your best option is to start shopping for a new RE and make a few appointments with different ones. You can see 2 docs at once. Get a feel for the new ones and then make a decision. You can even get the HSG done with the new doc maybe even quicker. You're the patient. You're in charge. Just explain your desires and most docs will work with you. If they won't then you know they're not your doc!

Good luck! Tell us how it goes and feel free to join us on the fertility challenged thread : http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1398153/the-fertility-challenged-one-thread-spring-2014/0_30
tracyamber likes this.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#3 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm sorry for the bad experiences you have had with the doctor. My doctor gave me some valium for the HSG and it helped keep me calm. They are hard to schedule because they have to be done within a certain window and by certain people. Do you have to have it done by this one doctor? Is it a matter of insurance? I know people who called around to different labs and found lower prices to have it done. Then you wouldn't know how great the doctor is at doing it, but you might get in quicker.
tracyamber likes this.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#4 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Xerxella and Pokey! I appreciate your voices. And Xerxella, thanks for reminding me that some of us are on a stricter timeline than others.

So-- an update. After I got the voicemail on Friday after work hours, I left an assertive message on their machine mentioning that I've already been bumped off the schedule and I really hoped we could still do it on the day we planned to do it. So the MD called me back yesterday (Sunday) and offered a later time this morning, so they could still do the IVF egg retrievals and get my HSG in.

And it is done! This MD has a reputation for doing the HSG well, and it did not hurt a bit. Just some awkward feeling stuff, NO pain. Both tubes are clear and my uterus shape is OK.

I am glad I left that message. Otherwise I'd just be at a low simmer all the time, mildly pissed about something that doesn't really have a strict deadline... And I don't feel compelled to look for a new RE.

tracyamber likes this.

#5 of 7 Old 03-10-2014, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I'm glad it all worked out. Good for you being assertive and getting what you needed! smile.gif
tracyamber likes this.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#6 of 7 Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Excellent! Well done! It's certainly worth it to wait for someone who can do it with no pain. I'm glad the results were good too.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#7 of 7 Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Xerxella and Pokey! Apparently DH went into work afterwards and talked to his coworker that afternoon. His wife got pregnant the cycle she had an HSG, so now DH is all hopeful.

I don't know if other people experience this, but I absolutely can't get my hopes up. It puts me on this terrible roller coaster. I am trying not to let his optimism rub off on me :eyesroll

Tags
Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page