Should I try to get pregnant again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

(Don't worry; I'll also be talking this over with my doctor when I see her on Thursday.)

I've been a member of this board for about 3 years, though over the past year I've been more of a lurker than poster. I'm trying to make a hard decision, and I thought I would ask the advice of the members here.

I have mild PCOS. When we TTC 3 years ago, I did get pregnant (twice) and miscarried both times. We took a break from TTC for a while after that. That was two years ago, and last year, just as we were about to start trying again (just days away from starting to take the drugs, in fact) a private adoption fell into our laps and we have a beautiful baby girl.

We want a second a child, however, and we would like them to be about 2-3 years apart. I still would love to be pregnant, and trying to adopt again would be a long, hard road as well. Here's where things get complicated.

Last summer I started having anxiety attacks. Eventually they became panic attacks. We both attributed it to anxiety over the adoption not being finalized. Then I started losing weight, and the anxiety didn't go away when the final papers were signed. One morning I passed out while getting ready for work and woke up in the ER on the verge of a thyroid storm. To cut a long story short, it turns out I had a toxic multinodular goiter on my thyroid and I ended up having a complete thyroidectomy in November.

I'm feeling much better now, of course, and my RE, whose a very good doctor, told me he thinks my miscarriages might have been caused by the goiters. I'd apparently had them for several years and they had probably acted up off and on, and he said they could have sent me into hyperactive mode as soon as I got pregnant. I did have two mild panic attacks in the week before my second miscarriage.

My tsh is perfect now, about 1.5.

What are the odds I could get pregnant with PCOS and no thyroid? Do we even want to risk trying again?

Also, I have to lose about 15 pounds (gained after the surgery) before I would feel comfortable trying again.

Thanks everyone!

Mother to one dd .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I have no answers for you mama really. But honestly you have to decide if you want to start trying again. What does your heart tell you? Only you know. The infertility road is arduous as you know.
Ask your doctor what your changes are. I will look it up inline and see if I can find anything for you. Losing 15 pounds is the easy part. 15 isn't very much. ..
Okay
Best to you and if I see anything I will post here!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Medically, I would think there's no reason not to. Controlled thyroid problems should be fine and mild PCOS isn't much of an obstacle.

HOWEVER, that's just physically. Only you can decide is you you should try again, emotionally, mentally and every other ...ally. It's a tough decision with no easy answers.

I think this. "Decide" for awhile to try again. How do you feel about that? What do you think? Wear that decision for awhile. Then at another time, "decide" to not try again. How does that feel? How does each feel long term? Will you look back on your life and wish you'd tried again or be glad you didn't go down that stressful road? There's no easy answers and only you can do what's right for you.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

I like what the other ladies have said. Personally, I think I would try again. PCOS can cause miscarriages, and thyroid problems definitely can. I know that my TSH dropped from almost 3 about a month before I got pregnant to under .5 when I was 8 weeks pregnant. So I can attest to the effect pregnancy can have on your thyroid. Having your thyroid under control could make all the difference in the world. I guess the biggest thing is - do you think you could handle another miscarriage? It sounds like if you try again, you very likely WILL get pregnant. And very hopefully, that baby would stick. But if it didn't - would that destroy you? Does the thought of going through the adoption process or of having only one child forever sound more or less painful than going through a miscarriage? I've had one miscarriage, and it sucked. It really did. But not enough that I would never, ever want to risk it happening again. Other people (especially those who've been down that road more than once) feel differently. If you feel like you can handle another miscarriage, but not a bunch more, you can always try, and if you miscarry again, decide to take a different path. (Although as Xerxella knows, that's easier said than done.) Just my 2cents.gif

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS

Tags
Infertility
User Tag List